Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2021, 02:47 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 2
NO CD Drive Windows10

HI
Want to get pic from old Pentax VS2 onto Lexmark Think Pad but have no CD Drive.
The CD is labelled : Pentax S-SW122, ArcSoft Windows MediaImpression 3.1 for Pentax
Any help wd be be ver welcome
Thankyou.

05-30-2021, 04:05 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,854
Do you mean an Optio VS20? I'm not sure what a VS2 is...

You should be able to connect the camera directly to your computer with a USB cable to get at the photos in the internal memory.

And obviously, if the images are on a SD card, you just need a card reader... or the USB cable...

The software on the CD doesn't normally do anything for connectivity; it just gives you basic image manipulation tools for afterwards.

If you really want to run the software, your best bet may be an inexpensive CD drive. I bought an external CD/DVD drive for $19 or so a few years back just for things like this...

-Eric
05-30-2021, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Columbus Ohio USA
Posts: 259
As mentioned above a writable usb DVD drive is affordable. It should be around $20 in the US. They are good to have since most computer no longer come with one.

Also I am a little bit old school with my archive process and still back things up to DVD. I figure if one fails I have only lost 4gb
05-30-2021, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hampstead, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,388
Today’s external cd/dvd drives are very reliable and cheap

05-30-2021, 05:09 AM   #5
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 8,582
Several things, assuming you mean the VS20:

According to Ricoh's Support page version 3.1 of MediaImpression will not install on Windows 8 or higher so you need to upgrade to v3.6.1 LE.

From the users manual for the VS20 you can connect the camera to your computer via the supplied USB cable. The default USB protocol is MSC so the card in the camera should show up as a removable drive in Windows File Explorer and you can drag-n-drop the files to your computer.

Or if you have a SD card reader remove the card from the camera and insert it in the card reader. I recommend you write protect the card first and eject the card from Windows using the "safely remove hardware and eject media" icon.

Edit: it looks like the trick of naming a removable drive "S-SW122" doe not work with the installer. The installer may look for the actual previous install files and not just the disk label. You may actually need a physical optical drive.

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-30-2021 at 06:33 AM.
05-30-2021, 08:15 AM   #6
New Member




Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 2
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Do you mean an Optio VS20? I'm not sure what a VS2 is...

You should be able to connect the camera directly to your computer with a USB cable to get at the photos in the internal memory.

And obviously, if the images are on a SD card, you just need a card reader... or the USB cable...

The software on the CD doesn't normally do anything for connectivity; it just gives you basic image manipulation tools for afterwards.

If you really want to run the software, your best bet may be an inexpensive CD drive. I bought an external CD/DVD drive for $19 or so a few years back just for things like this...

-Eric
Thanks
05-30-2021, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,015
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The installer may look for the actual previous install files and not just the disk label.
Virtual CD cloning software will format a removable storage device (like a USB memory stick) to look like a DVD/CD drive to your computer and copy the installation files from a CD into an ISO image file. I use Virtual CloneDrive myself, but there are lots of options. However, you still
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
actually need a physical optical drive
in order to copy files from the CD to the other removable storage device.

05-30-2021, 09:22 AM   #8
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 8,582
Yes, if the OP has their old computer with CD drive they could create an ISO image of the old CD and transfer the ISO file to the Windows 10 laptop.

Windows 10 natively attaches ISO files as virtual drives. All you need to do is double-click on the ISO file. If the default action was changed you can right click on the file and pick "Mount". Right click on the virtual drive and pick "Eject" to dismount it.

ImageBurn is free and will create ISO image files. Should work on XP and above.
The Official ImgBurn Website
05-30-2021, 11:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,501
Probably no need for any of that - try a download from Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING - look down the page and you should be able to find it!

OTOH, an external CD/DVD drive is very handy to have in case of emergencies!
05-30-2021, 11:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Jersey C.I.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,322
An option I've not seen mentioned :-
… assuming one has either an SD card reader or a USB connection from the camera to the computer, is to simply copy the executable to the root of an SD card, re-label the card appropriately, and run the install from there
05-31-2021, 12:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,501
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
An option I've not seen mentioned :-
… assuming one has either an SD card reader or a USB connection from the camera to the computer, is to simply copy the executable to the root of an SD card, re-label the card appropriately, and run the install from there
Why bother with all that - just down load the executable from the RICOH Imaging site to the computer itself and install it directly from there!
05-31-2021, 06:53 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Jersey C.I.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,322
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Why bother with all that - just down load the executable from the RICOH Imaging site to the computer itself and install it directly from there!
… 'cos the "update" executable won't install unless you've already got the program installed … with no CD drive in the first place it becomes a bit of a "chicken & egg" situation … you've got to start from somewhere … I suppose you could re-label the hard drive in the computer, hadn't thought of that
05-31-2021, 07:50 AM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,501
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
… 'cos the "update" executable won't install unless you've already got the program installed … with no CD drive in the first place it becomes a bit of a "chicken & egg" situation … you've got to start from somewhere … I suppose you could re-label the hard drive in the computer, hadn't thought of that
AH, having experimented with that download, I can now see what you mean - presumably to make sure that only people who have the original CD can install the new version of the App!

Presumably, back to the idea of an external USB CD/DVD drive (or one of the more complex approaches) for the original CD mentioned in the first post then - but that should be the only thing that needs doing.
05-31-2021, 10:36 AM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Jersey C.I.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,322
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
AH, having experimented with that download, I can now see what you mean - presumably to make sure that only people who have the original CD can install the new version of the App!

Presumably, back to the idea of an external USB CD/DVD drive (or one of the more complex approaches) for the original CD mentioned in the first post then - but that should be the only thing that needs doing.
The download will install if it "thinks" it's on an original CD … or at least on readable media labelled as an original CD would be. In the case of the latest version of "Digital Camera Utility", as supplied with the K-3iii (then updated), if one downloads the v5.9.2 executable and labels the media that it's on as S-SW177 (as mentioned in the K-3iii manual, p98), the application will install
If one wants to install an earlier version, for whatever reason, one would need to use the disc label as per the CD that was supplied with the camera in question. I will mention, at this point, that Pentax themselves are keen to emphasise the backward compatibility of the DCU application, giving examples of "re-processing" *istD files using DCU here ???????RAW??????????Digital Camera Utility 5 ?1??????? | PENTAX official and in the subsequent pages (in Japanese, you'll probably need a translator).
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, cd, cd drive, drive, pentax, pentax help, photography, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing Digital Camera Utility with no CD drive narual Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 31 05-13-2021 02:37 PM
DCU download, no CD drive on the MAC. bbodine9 Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 2 05-27-2018 03:50 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax LX Motor Drive Ni-CD battery pack filmfan Sold Items 3 05-14-2018 02:46 PM
May 1st, 2012 A Day Without the 99% No Work – No School – No Housework – No Shopping jogiba General Talk 4 05-02-2012 02:48 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:45 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top