Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-30-2021, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #1

P30n Shutter Release Button Not Working

Hey Guys,
Recently got my mothers old Pentax P30n out of the cupboard and was hoping to try out some 35mm photography. Unfortunately the shutter release button to take a photo doesn't seem to be doing anything when pressed. I thought it may have needed film in it to function so I loaded some in and wound it but it still did not shoot. I have got fresh battery's in and the shutter speed display functions fine when looking through lens and half or whole pressing the button, but a full press will not release the shutter. The film wind lever also seems to function fine. Been looking through other threads trying to figure out a fix but haven't been able to just yet.

05-30-2021, 07:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rickppb Quote
The film wind lever also seems to function fine.
The shutter needs batteries to work, which you obviously have.
It only works after you wound the film up a frame with the film wind lever (which should be stuck now too, because the shutter didn't fire).
If both sentences apply, you have a some kind of damage in the camera.
05-30-2021, 07:34 AM   #3

Is the self-timer on? Turning the camera off before it times out might make it seem the shutter is not firing.
05-30-2021, 07:58 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Is the self-timer on? Turning the camera off before it times out might make it seem the shutter is not firing.
The self timer isnt on. :/

05-30-2021, 08:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
The shutter needs batteries to work, which you obviously have.
It only works after you wound the film up a frame with the film wind lever (which should be stuck now too, because the shutter didn't fire).
If both sentences apply, you have a some kind of damage in the camera.
The wind up lever doesn't get stuck after one rotation, should it? I am able to keep winding without the shutter firing.
05-30-2021, 08:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

would suggest trying a cable release but do not think the P30 has one......it may have an ir remote which could be tried not sure bout that either.....if so it could be in that drive mode

from sitting a while it could simply be gummed up.....something could be holding up the works......stuff around the mount should move rather easily and spring back into place....something could be block the shutter button from making contact to release........the big deal is you are able to advance the film without the shutter firing
05-30-2021, 09:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The wind up lever doesn't get stuck after one rotation, should it?
On my P30 it gets stuck without a shutter release, otherwise you couldn't be sure whether you already took a picture for that frame or not.
As yours doesn't get stuck I presume it got loose and the shutter doesn't fire because you don't reach the end position of the winder.

05-30-2021, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The wind up lever doesn't get stuck after one rotation, should it?
Yes...The action of winding cocks the shutter and once cocked, you should not be able to wind until the shutter is released. Your camera may be made workable with routine service.

BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve
06-01-2021, 12:07 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

I have a little suggestion. Does the advance lever advance the film? Lever in P30 is screwed in with a center screw. It's visible only after removing the plastic cover. Sometimes that screw comes loose and what might seems like a working advance lever isn't actually doing its work. That was the issue with my P30 when I got it years ago.
Attached Images

06-01-2021, 11:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Is the film rewind button (bottom of the camera stuck in)? It would normally reset when the back is opened, but if stuck (or halfway) it would allow the wind on lever to wind continuously.
11-20-2022, 02:54 PM   #11

My P30t has been in its photo bag in a box since the 2000s I am so sad to say. My Kx and K1000 survived their hibernations though. Its mirror was stuck. I fixed that so that isn't the issue. The timer doesn't work either.
OK. What can I do to clean please if it's dirty?