Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2021, 06:25 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Simon K Quote
What a relief, I felt a bit like a desperado when downloading it ;-)
Nothing wrong with the procedure as you described, nonetheless somehow you'd managed to get rid of the sRGB space along the way. So good luck finding the leakage.

Edit: I may have misunderstood; you uploaded it again, NOW with sRGB assigned. I can't see it though, your most recent upload visible for me is tagged 2 hours ago.
OK,

Since you seem as interested as myself in the line of questioning.

I just sent a test photo. photo is a shot of the sand & water

Original RAW : Export from Lightroom settings are....JPG.....small.....90%......all metadata........Output Sharpening: (Screen)......amount: (standard)......Color Space: sRGB. and thank you Peter for those settings. ends up 1.3 MB

---------- Post added 06-03-21 at 06:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Another thought, hosting images externally on something like Flickr allows you to post links here which can be higher resolution if desired.
That sounds interesting.
Is there any problem getting to the exterior storage file from the upload button on the Gallery site?

---------- Post added 06-03-21 at 06:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Just saw your eagle shots in the 'post your photos' section. The EXIF data shows jpeg quality at 85%. If you can get the height down to 800 pix I think jpeg quality will stay at 100%. At least, that's been my experience.
where can I make an adjustment with the pix height?

Not sure I even know what that means, but I'm sure I need to know.

06-03-2021, 08:10 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Another thought, hosting images externally on something like Flickr allows you to post links here which can be higher resolution if desired.
I just uploaded from an external hard drive.

To me, this image is much closer to what I can see in the original Lightroom processed file.

Thanks
06-03-2021, 10:37 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Markpszk Quote
To me, this image is much closer to what I can see in the original Lightroom processed file.
Glad to hear, though photoshop's still asking if I whish to assign sRGB when opening a picture of your's because it is not embedded.
I had a look at your sand&water test foto and the reuploaded eagle pic. My interest in that case stems from the time I had the same problem, when color and tonality were visibly different after the upload. Since you described the process in lightroom I don't really have an idea what's going on, where and why sRGB seems to be taken away again after exporting. When watching an exported pic in your picture viewer do you notice a difference to the display in lightroom or does it occur only after the upload?
06-03-2021, 11:23 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

where can I make an adjustment with the pix height?Not sure I even know what that means, but I'm sure I need to know.
I'm going to answer this in a comment under your 'post your photos' image.
Eagle at the Beach - PentaxForums.com

06-03-2021, 12:25 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
At 90% it would allow the sharpening your suggesting
The % quality and the sharpening are completely separate things.

---------- Post added 06-03-21 at 08:29 PM ----------

Original RAW : Export from Lightroom settings are....JPG.....small.....90%......all metadata........Output Sharpening: (Screen)......amount: (standard)......Color Space: sRGB. and thank you Peter for those settings. ends up 1.3 MB
What version of LR are you using?

Can you send some screen shots of your settings at each stage of your editing. If you are not tagging your images with sRGB colour space something is going very wrong
06-03-2021, 01:52 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That sounds interesting.
Is there any problem getting to the exterior storage file from the upload button on the Gallery site?
You don't use the gallery in that case. You create photo threads and insert BBCODE links into the thread like this:

If you quote the message you will see what was used to put this in. It's a lot simpler than it seems - if you are a flickr member you just click share, pick the size and choose the bbcode option and copy it. Then you paste into the thread. A user can view it without any action but if they want to see other sizes or comment on the picture outside the thread they can click it which opens flickr.
06-04-2021, 04:20 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the problem is in the Gallery. I dont use it much but if I download my last image (from 2018) it also shows as no colour profile if I try to open it in Photoshop

06-04-2021, 05:21 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I think the problem is in the Gallery. I dont use it much but if I download my last image (from 2018) it also shows as no colour profile if I try to open it in Photoshop
You're right, it's the Gallery! Checked it with an sRGB picture I uploaded myself. After downloading it again sRGB is gone. Curiously the same picture I uploaded here to an album still is sRGB after downloading it.
06-04-2021, 08:46 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
Glad to hear, though photoshop's still asking if I whish to assign sRGB when opening a picture of your's because it is not embedded.
I had a look at your sand&water test foto and the reuploaded eagle pic. My interest in that case stems from the time I had the same problem, when color and tonality were visibly different after the upload. Since you described the process in lightroom I don't really have an idea what's going on, where and why sRGB seems to be taken away again after exporting. When watching an exported pic in your picture viewer do you notice a difference to the display in lightroom or does it occur only after the upload?
I have not noticed any changes or odd things going on when I export. I am however now exporting to an exterior Hard Drive, then using that image to upload to the site.
Attached is the info showing on the image in the easystore Hard Drive.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XR  Photo 
06-04-2021, 08:50 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The % quality and the sharpening are completely separate things.

---------- Post added 06-03-21 at 08:29 PM ----------

What version of LR are you using?

Can you send some screen shots of your settings at each stage of your editing. If you are not tagging your images with sRGB colour space something is going very wrong
Attached is the info after exporting to an external HardDrive
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XR  Photo 
06-04-2021, 10:14 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I have not noticed any changes or odd things going on when I export. I am however now exporting to an exterior Hard Drive, then using that image to upload to the site.Attached is the info showing on the image in the easystore Hard Drive.
It is the Gallery itself that strips off sRGB. pschlute gave the right hint in his message and I could verify it. As I mentioned, different than the Gallery my album here leaves sRGB intact.
06-04-2021, 01:37 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
It is the Gallery itself that strips off sRGB. pschlute gave the right hint in his message and I could verify it. As I mentioned, different than the Gallery my album here leaves sRGB intact.
Interesting!
06-04-2021, 06:47 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@adam does the gallery intentionally strip the sRGB?
06-04-2021, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

@adam does the gallery intentionally strip the sRGB?
It certainly shouldn't do that for the non-scaled images, but it sounds like I may need to take a closer look to see if there's any unexpected behavior.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-05-2021, 04:03 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It certainly shouldn't do that for the non-scaled images, but it sounds like I may need to take a closer look to see if there's any unexpected behavior.
I view the forum in Firefox browser which has full colour management (but is not enabled by default).

I use a wide gamut monitor so I can see if a profile is not being applied correctly very easily (oversaturated colours).

If I set my browser to the default setting (enable colour management for only tagged images) then an image uploaded to the gallery shows very oversaturated colours....ie the sRGB tag has been stripped.

Hope this helps Adam.

ps here is a useful link for everyone explaining Firefox colour management settings (but unless you have a wide gamut monitor you probably wont see a difference) How to configure Firefox color management

Last edited by pschlute; 06-05-2021 at 06:07 AM.