Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2021, 02:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
uploading

Just a question:

when I download an image to my gallery from my desktop/jpg. It seems to be taking a lot out of the image tones and color by the time it gets to the gallery.

Is there a way to download directly from Lightroom?
Should I be downloading a different type file?

Last edited by Markpszk; 06-03-2021 at 05:12 AM.
06-02-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Do you assign sRGB color space to your JPEGs when exporting from Lightroom? If you don't, the colors in your browser may look noticeably different.

Last edited by Simon K; 06-02-2021 at 03:32 PM.
06-02-2021, 03:20 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What do you mean by "gallery?"

It sounds like you think it's a storage location, which I see a lot on an Android forum from Samsung users. In that case, the gallery is a viewing app, not a storage location. If you are transferring to your phone or tablet, it could be nothing more than a display calibration issue.
06-02-2021, 04:20 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
What do you mean by "gallery?"

It sounds like you think it's a storage location, which I see a lot on an Android forum from Samsung users. In that case, the gallery is a viewing app, not a storage location. If you are transferring to your phone or tablet, it could be nothing more than a display calibration issue.
Not sure I get your storage issue.

I'm just starting out. I want to put some photos up that I have been taking in order to get professional feedback. I'd like them to look as good as they look in my Lightroom.

Personally, I have more storage than I know what to do with.

---------- Post added 06-02-21 at 04:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Simon K Quote
Do you assign sRGB color space to your JPEGs when exporting from Lightroom? If you don't, the colors in your browser may look noticeably different.
Thanks!

I will check into that.

06-02-2021, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I looked in your gallery here on PF and saw the two shots of the eagle. The EXIF data says the file sizes are over 3 megabytes. I temporarily tried to add a shot to my gallery. In doing so I saw a notice that the maximum allowable file size is 2 megabytes. So, it could be that the website is compressing your image and reducing the jpeg quality. Assuming you save your images at 100% jpeg quality, PF could be reducing that to 85% or so. That will degrade the IQ noticeably. There is also a maximum allowable pixel resolution, but I can't remember what it is. Perhaps another member will know.

When I'm done editing a jpeg, I always purge the edit history before saving. That is supposed to help reduce file size.
06-02-2021, 05:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Markpszk Quote

Personally, I have more storage than I know what to do with.[COLOR="Silver"]
That will change as you get into photography more!
06-02-2021, 05:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just saw your eagle shots in the 'post your photos' section. The EXIF data shows jpeg quality at 85%. If you can get the height down to 800 pix I think jpeg quality will stay at 100%. At least, that's been my experience.

06-02-2021, 05:12 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure I get your storage issue.

I'm just starting out. I want to put some photos up that I have been taking in order to get professional feedback. I'd like them to look as good as they look in my Lightroom.

Personally, I have more storage than I know what to do with.
You mentioned saving the photos to your gallery, which confused me. I'm use to the Android world where far too many people think the Samsung gallery app is a storage location on their phones. A PC analogy to that would be thinking the stock photo viewer is a storage location, when all it (and the Samsung gallery) does is read the files.

Referring to downloading also hinted at saving to something like a phone. Saving to a website would be uploading. May sound like a trivial semantic issue, but it vastly changed the meaning of your post.

I noticed the other user after me mentioned a gallery on these forums, which I forgot existed because I don't use it. If that's what you were referring to, I'll defer to their judgments I where the issue lies.
06-02-2021, 06:18 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I looked in your gallery here on PF and saw the two shots of the eagle. The EXIF data says the file sizes are over 3 megabytes. I temporarily tried to add a shot to my gallery. In doing so I saw a notice that the maximum allowable file size is 2 megabytes. So, it could be that the website is compressing your image and reducing the jpeg quality. Assuming you save your images at 100% jpeg quality, PF could be reducing that to 85% or so. That will degrade the IQ noticeably. There is also a maximum allowable pixel resolution, but I can't remember what it is. Perhaps another member will know.

When I'm done editing a jpeg, I always purge the edit history before saving. That is supposed to help reduce file size.
I have been testing myself.
I did see the 2 mb max and worked it backwards with a jpeg and the custom applications. found a setting that was just under 2 mb. I also tried to use a tiff file and they were way out there with mbs.

So, there is an education in itself: It does seem to matter how you transfer a file to whatever you are about to do with it.
I have a feeling once you get into printing there is a whole new education with all the technical marriages that need to be in sinc.

I did upload a photo that I thought was a better image. I will just keep testing and finding the best way for everything.

Seems to be what true photography is all about.

Thanks for everyone help & attention.

---------- Post added 06-02-21 at 06:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
You mentioned saving the photos to your gallery, which confused me. I'm use to the Android world where far too many people think the Samsung gallery app is a storage location on their phones. A PC analogy to that would be thinking the stock photo viewer is a storage location, when all it (and the Samsung gallery) does is read the files.

Referring to downloading also hinted at saving to something like a phone. Saving to a website would be uploading. May sound like a trivial semantic issue, but it vastly changed the meaning of your post.

I noticed the other user after me mentioned a gallery on these forums, which I forgot existed because I don't use it. If that's what you were referring to, I'll defer to their judgments I where the issue lies.
Got it.

My bad.....I'm definitely not a high tech lingo guy. Upload is the correct action!

---------- Post added 06-02-21 at 06:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
That will change as you get into photography more!
Thats funny.

I have sort of set myself up with the storage. I just have to learn how to move my photos around. They are mostly in Lightroom and Mac library at the moment.
When I get the need or decide its time, I'll start using it.
06-02-2021, 06:46 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I will check into that.

Please do. I did a test on one of your eagle pictures, by downloading and opening it in Photoshop. Result is there is definitely no specific color space at all assigned to it. For image display in web browsers, sRGB is the quasi standard to get according colors and tones. I also did the same test as described before with one of my own pics that I've had uploaded here just to countercheck that the test result is true and trustworthy, and found what I expected to see when opening it in Photoshop, sRGB is assigned to my picture still even after the procedure of having it up- an downloaded again.
Finally I assure you I only downloaded your photo to explore what color space there is to it, or in this case the lack of any, and by writing this your photo already has been erased from my harddrive again, as it is the property of your's .

Last edited by Simon K; 06-02-2021 at 07:00 PM.
06-02-2021, 07:23 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Simon K Quote
Please do. I did a test on one of your eagle pictures, by downloading and opening it in Photoshop. Result is there is definitely no specific color space at all assigned to it. For image display in web browsers, sRGB is the quasi standard to get according colors and tones. I also did the same test as described before with one of my own pics that I've had uploaded here just to countercheck that the test result is true and trustworthy, and found what I expected to see when opening it in Photoshop, sRGB is assigned to my picture still even after the procedure of having it up- an downloaded again.
Finally I assure you I only downloaded your photo to explore what color space there is to it, or in this case the lack of any, and by writing this your photo already has been erased from my harddrive again, as it is the property of your's .
No worries on the highjacking the photo. I appreciate your energy and help on this matter, which I would think most people would like to know about.

I did change the setting to sRGB and posted the photo again. In fact I'm sure there are probably 3 photos with different settings.

But I have turned on the sRGB setting in Lightroom before I export the jpeg to my desktop

So to be specific: I shoot in RAW.... to export in Lightroom I go to "custom settings "and chose....JPG...small...100%...all metadata.....output sharpening(none)....color space sRGB. It produces a JPEG @ 1.1 MB.
06-02-2021, 07:49 PM   #12
Pentaxian

No worries on the highjacking the photo. I appreciate your energy and help on this matter, which I would think most people would like to know about.I did change the setting to sRGB and posted the photo again. In fact I'm sure there are probably 3 photos with different settings.But I have turned on the sRGB setting in Lightroom before I export the jpeg to my desktopSo to be specific: I shoot in RAW.... to export in Lightroom I go to "custom settings "and chose....JPG...small...100%...all metadata.....output sharpening(none)....color space sRGB. It produces a JPEG @ 1.1 MB.
What a relief, I felt a bit like a desperado when downloading it ;-)
Nothing wrong with the procedure as you described, nonetheless somehow you'd managed to get rid of the sRGB space along the way. So good luck finding the leakage.

Edit: I may have misunderstood; you uploaded it again, NOW with sRGB assigned. I can't see it though, your most recent upload visible for me is tagged 2 hours ago.

Last edited by Simon K; 06-02-2021 at 08:01 PM.
06-03-2021, 01:27 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot in RAW.... to export in Lightroom I go to "custom settings "and chose....JPG...small...100%...all metadata.....output sharpening(none)....color space sRGB. It produces a JPEG @ 1.1 MB.
Your best bet is to choose an image size in pixels that is suitable for screen viewing. If your screen has a max pixel height of say 1440, then there is no point creating a jpeg larger than that for normal viewing purposes. I never use higher than 90% quality. The difference is indistinguishable, but you get a more manageable file size. Definitely sRGB for the web. You should be using some form of output sharpening, even if you just select "sharpen for screen".
06-03-2021, 06:10 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Your best bet is to choose an image size in pixels that is suitable for screen viewing. If your screen has a max pixel height of say 1440, then there is no point creating a jpeg larger than that for normal viewing purposes. I never use higher than 90% quality. The difference is indistinguishable, but you get a more manageable file size. Definitely sRGB for the web. You should be using some form of output sharpening, even if you just select "sharpen for screen".
That sounds very good.
I will give that a go.
At 90% it would allow the sharpening your suggesting and hopefully with the rest of my settings, will still be under 2 MB for uploading.

Thanks!
06-03-2021, 06:24 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another thought, hosting images externally on something like Flickr allows you to post links here which can be higher resolution if desired.