Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2021, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DFA* 70-200 mm f/2.8 stopped auto-focusing ...

I dismounted the lens from the K1 body and I found one of the two little copper-colored electrical contacts on the bottom of the lens mount was out of place. No more AF ... I put the contact back into place delicately with small "watch repair" tools, remounted the lens on the K1 and the AF resumed working normally again.

Man, these electrical contacts seem flimsy, mainly when you take into account the cost of this lens. This small metal tab will probably break off soon and I'll have to go see my trusted local repairman to have it replaced.

For real, they should make these costly DFA* lenses "indestructible".

06-07-2021, 10:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
I dismounted the lens from the K1 body and I found one of the two little copper-colored electrical contacts on the bottom of the lens mount was out of place. No more AF ... I put the contact back into place delicately with small "watch repair" tools, remounted the lens on the K1 and the AF resumed working normally again.

Man, these electrical contacts seem flimsy, mainly when you take into account the cost of this lens. This small metal tab will probably break off soon and I'll have to go see my trusted local repairman to have it replaced.

This kind of problem is why I hesitate to buy an expensive lens like this one. The same goes for the new K-3 Mark III. I know that you mostly read about the problems with camera's, lenses and so on, but I also find, however low the numbers, that I never read that Ricoh solved a problem even after the warranty expired. And Pentax as an independent company with their own repair service tried to solve problems, which they never do nowadays it seems. It is due to the extended warranty in my part of the world, European Union, that I sometimes buy a Pentax item. But I miss the service of old.
I currently own some of the indestructible ones, they are from the 70's and 80's, they are m's, a's and f's.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 06-07-2021 at 10:18 AM. Reason: adding a new line
06-07-2021, 10:19 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote

My opinion too. It's such a lazy design. Very underengineered.

It happened with two of my lenses. DA*16-50 and DA18-135. For the 16-50, the two contacts broke althogether, but I did converti it to screwdrive and it works fine that way.
The 18-135 I used an soldering iron to heat it and sunk the contacts a little bit more inside the plastic base to see if this helps avoid the contacts to hook in whatever that bends it. You have to be very carefull to not melt the whole thing, and do a little finishing, but seems to work. So far, the lens is holding well, as I change lenses a lot. But do it carefully with this lens anyway.

Last edited by sungibr; 06-07-2021 at 10:27 AM.
06-07-2021, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #4

Pentax 48120-0M291 Power Contact | USCamera Pentax lensUSCamera
bye

06-07-2021, 02:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by epago Quote
Pentax 48120-0M291 Power Contact | USCamera Pentax lensUSCamerabye
Thanks !
06-07-2021, 06:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter