Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2021, 09:37 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sensor constantly dirty.

Having difficulties getting and keeping my K-7's sensor free of debris. Been working on this issue now for nearly two days and I am beginning to believe the problem is not

the older lenses breaking down, but something in the body. After extensive cleaning of the sensor, I will take a few shots which have no problems with dirt and dust showing up

on the sensor. However after four or five shots, I get what appear to be particles of soot along with dust. I get these results no matter how old or new my lenses are, or if they

are OEM or third party lenses. I tend to believe it is time for CLA (TLC) for the body. The camera has been a stellar performer for me and possesses only approximately 15 to

16,000 shutter actuations. Looking forward to any and all assistance.

Many thanks,

Tonytee

06-07-2021, 10:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Tony

I'd suggest testing with one prime lens. (A lens you know to be good and having no defects.)
If you're still getting debris inside the mirror-box, then maybe something inside the mirror-box is shedding material?
06-07-2021, 10:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hi Tony

I'd suggest testing with one prime lens. (A lens you know to be good and having no defects.)
If you're still getting debris inside the mirror-box, then maybe something inside the mirror-box is shedding material?

Hello Mark and many thanks for your response. I had decided that going with one lens only would be the proper thing to do, so I worked with my SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7.

The same issue occurred. Does mean that it is time for service?

Tony
06-08-2021, 03:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Hello Mark and many thanks for your response. I had decided that going with one lens only would be the proper thing to do, so I worked with my SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7.

The same issue occurred. Does mean that it is time for service?

Tony
Well, I can't say if a service is going to fix it Tony. If there's something disintegrating in there, it may or may not be serviceable. If blowing it out with a rocket blower does not clear it, then, chances are, there's something wrong in there.
Good luck!

06-08-2021, 12:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Well, I can't say if a service is going to fix it Tony. If there's something disintegrating in there, it may or may not be serviceable. If blowing it out with a rocket blower does not clear it, then, chances are, there's something wrong in there.
Good luck!
Okay and again, many thanks for your suggestions.

tt
06-08-2021, 10:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If something is disintegrating (which most likely it is), then repair will be much too expensive, more expensive than a 2-nd hand K5 which is better anyway.
As many parts of the K7 are identical with the K5, you have spare parts.
06-08-2021, 11:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How bizarre

I had and still ( some of them ) have over dozen of DSLR's.
The only body with dust problems I ever had , was K-7.
The first issue was me changing lenses in our windy coastal weather in Perth ( Western Australia).
The second issue was,
just wait for it,
very very small bugs inside my K-7.
The 'dust" particles were moving / relocating , so after some time investigating with magnifying glass , I managed to locate a couple of moving objects.
I left my camera with everything open in the sun and after 24 hours creatures were dead ( sorry bugs ) or moved away.
This story most likely is not going to help you but on the other hand , you never know......

06-10-2021, 03:36 AM   #8
dlhawes

Try using the wand attachment of a real vacuum cleaner (make sure first you won't be sucking in lots more dust from the air in that area, and make sure the exhaust from the vacuum will be directed away from where you're working). Use the smallest "crevice tool" or such in the lens opening possibly while using an air blower (rocket or some such) on stuff inside the camera. Then see what happens.

My first thought was that the sooty particles are characteristic of that foam plastic that they use as gasket material when it suffers dry rot.
06-10-2021, 06:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It does work indeed with a vacuum cleaner, but I would always make sure one has it antistatic!

I use a cable with very fine copperwires, take the insulation off on one side. Those copperwires go inside the a thin small hoover-nozzle, the wires are sucked in by the air-stream. This cable, about 3m long, is connected to the ground-part of a mains-plug which I can plug into the mains and I have ground.
My Miele-hoover has adjustable speed control, so I don't use its full power. That way I have cleaned the inside of my Pentax cameras without ever having had a problem. Far superior to a blower!