Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KP possible shutter issue?

So, trying to figure out one issue, I had another one pop up. It seems the shutter is stuck closed. I can push the button and itll take a picture but there is no noise and the picture is black. When I switch it to live view, all I see is a black screen but it will take a picture (black of course). I've tried leaving the battery out for a few minutes and replacing, using a different fully charged battery, tried a long exposure shot that I seen someone else mention while removing the battery. I tried to take continuous shots to free it up. I am only assuming its the shutter stuck...

I'm thinking I'll make a few phone calls to some repair shots, any recommendations?

06-08-2021, 06:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I may have missed something, but is this not a new acquisition?
Warranty? Still within the return period to B&H ?

I'd contact the seller and if possible return it or submit for warranty repair.

Sounds like perhaps you got a lemon.
06-08-2021, 06:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Unfortunately, I purchased it from someone on the forum. It's worked great up until I got the new lens. I've probably taken 2000 pictures with it..
06-08-2021, 07:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dirwood Quote
until I got the new lens.
Which lens? Does the camera work correctly with other lenses?

06-08-2021, 07:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Pentax 150 - 450. It does not with any of my other lenses now.
06-08-2021, 10:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

well ...

I would say that it is a bad luck.

Send it for repair. And I would say that the new 150-450 is not guilty
06-08-2021, 10:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Turn the camera off, take out the battery, and put in a fresh battery. Then turn on the camera and go into menus to do a reset to factory default of all functions. Then put the mode dial on Auto to take some test shots in good daylight conditions, first with your screw-driven lens. If this does not put you into normal functioning with this camera, I would suggest you contact the seller for a possible solution. I am wondering if this camera has a history of problems and possibly a repair. I am also wondering why its shutter count is so low, yet it was put up for sale. If there were problems with a camera this new, I would think it should have been repaired under warranty. This is a very unusual situation.

The new $2,000 Pentax K-3 III has recently arrived for purchase after a long period of development, for which many have been waiting. It is especially good for burst shooting and focus tracking, according to its specs and claimed improvements. Good for shooting fast action. In my case, I am happy with my KP (I have 2 of them) and not interested in the new model, but other KP owners might be selling theirs to buy the new camera. Therefore we will most likely see more used KP cameras turning up. But I'll bet none will have anything close to such a low shutter count. Why would anyone buy a fine camera and then sell it when it is still new?

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-08-2021 at 11:06 PM.
06-09-2021, 03:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

It seems to me that this is a second thread about the same issue from Dirwood. Maybe the original owner still can get it repaired under warranty, but I still think the 150-450 is to blame.
06-09-2021, 04:50 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
It seems to me that this is a second thread about the same issue from Dirwood. Maybe the original owner still can get it repaired under warranty, but I still think the 150-450 is to blame.
Kind of. My first thread I posted was about an issue with the camera shutting down. My second thread is about an issue with, what seems to be, a stuck closed shutter.... I pm'd the person I bought it from, just waiting to hear anything back.
06-10-2021, 05:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
I would say that it is a bad luck.

Send it for repair. And I would say that the new 150-450 is not guilty
Strange conclusion! If the malfunctioning happened after using the 150-450 (see his other thread about this camera in combo with the 150-450) it is most certainly the lens that caused it. So I would not blame the KP-body. Could also be that there is something in the combination that caused this.
06-10-2021, 08:04 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I think I'm going to try and do things differently. I'm returning the lens for a refund. Then I'll need to decide if I should get the KP fixed or not. I have a few options, either get the KP fixed and buy another 150-450 or get it fixed and buy the 55-300plm or don't get the KP fixed and instead, buy the k3 iii. If I do that, I won't be able to get the 150-450 lens but I can get the 55-300plm lens. This option would be the same as getting the KP fixed plus keeping the big lens. I tend to like to make things complicated but it sounds like the k3 iii and the plm lens is the better route to go as then I can have 2 new items under warranty.
06-10-2021, 09:04 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Somebody (also in your other thread) recommended one of the most sensible things to do:

A RESET

(in the menu).

That is one of the first things to do!
06-10-2021, 09:14 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Somebody (also in your other thread) recommended one of the most sensible things to do:

A RESET

(in the menu).

That is one of the first things to do!
following a "cold reboot" - removing the battery for at least a minute will force the firmware to restart.
In fact, if this COLD REBOOT followed by RESET procedure doesn't fix things, I would perform a second COLD REBOOT to make sure all bases are covered.
06-10-2021, 09:21 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've done a "cold reboot" already along with the reset. I can try it again as I did the reset before I did a cold reboot.
11-01-2021, 11:15 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just an update on this issue since I sent it out not to long ago for repair. Precision Camera Repair Inc is where I sent it to.

Repairs: Clean image sensor
General Repairs: Update firmware to latest version
Replace: Shutter block assembly
Cost Est: Labor - $419.87
Parts - $0
Shipping - $52
Total - $471.87

I called to ask a few questions and am waiting for the return call before I agree to the repair. I did ask while I was on the phone the cost of the shutter block ($32). It also says on the quote an estimated time of repair of 1-2hours. The average repair that the site quoted was $388 for this camera. Does this sound about right for a repair of this caliber? $194 an hour seems like quite the hourly rate, and that's if it takes them the full 2 hours.