Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Days Ago   #1

Pentax MX film issues

Hi,

I've recently gotten into using film, and few months back started using my dad's pentax. Annoyingly, both rolls came put blank and we found the cause to be the old light seals. We replaced them and I tried again.

Out of the 24, I only got 5 back, all of them looking along the lines of this. Bit stumped because the light meter is working well and I used appropriate f numbers, and the shutting seems to have no problems.

Would greatly appreciate some advice

3 Days Ago   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First advice.. get it serviced - Its worth it, and will perform like new after.
2 Days Ago   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello elle, welcome to the forum!

To be of help we need some more information.

Which film type are you using? And what do you mean by "blank", all black or all transparent?
Also it would be of great help, if you could post one of the bad frames.

What tests did you do to ensure the MX and the lens still works as it should?

Ususally old light seals will show light streaks on the the film, so I guess there is wrong something else.
2 Days Ago   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
Hello elle, welcome to the forum!

To be of help we need some more information.

Which film type are you using? And what do you mean by "blank", all black or all transparent?
Also it would be of great help, if you could post one of the bad frames.

What tests did you do to ensure the MX and the lens still works as it should?

Ususally old light seals will show light streaks on the the film, so I guess there is wrong something else.
Hi,

Sorry, I did try to attach photos but didn't seem to work. I've attached some now. You can see it's slightly taking something but is mainly obscured, nor sure what it is ?

I'm using kodak gold and fujifilm c200, and all in date. The rest of the roll of 24 apart from these were transparent on my negatives, but I'm not sure with the previous set came out, as my developing lab got rid of them , so we're either under or over exposed.

Hope this helps

Attached Images

2 Days Ago   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect the tracks, in which the horizontal shutter mechanism moves, are sticky. Find a qualified camera technician and get your lovely MX serviced.
2 Days Ago   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd suggest a couple of things.

First, pop the camera open without film in it, take the lens off, and watch through the back of the camera while you shoot it a few times at a range of shutter speeds.
On the fast speeds, you should only see a glimpse of the shutter opening, on the slower speeds, you should see the whole thing open up, but the shutter itself should move quickly when it moves. That will give you an idea if the shutter is doing its thing properly. If you have a flash, try that and see if it works (at 1/60 s)

Next, try out the meter. Put everything back together. While standing outside with a lens on the camera, look around at what's around you. On a bright sunny day, with the camera set to ISO 200, you should expect something around 1/500 s shutter speed and f11 on the lens aperture to show up green...
Inside, it will probably be 1/15 s and f2.8 or something like that with plenty of room lights on.

If it's the shutter, your only thing for it is to have it serviced professionally. If it's the meter, you can keep shooting and use something else as your meter source (phone or a wild guess, for example)

The samples you posted look to me like photos of a fluorescent light fixture with severe underexposure. I used to see photos like that at the beginning of a roll when it was loaded...
If the rest of the roll was shot inside, it might come out blank (it would be nice to be able to see the negatives to see if they were blank or "mostly" blank, which can mean different things..)

-Eric