Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Days Ago   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KP wanted to shoot PEF

Using my relatively new KP I took some shots of our new vehicle and much to my surprise when I downloaded them they were PEF files. I check my shots from a few days ago and they were also PEF, I had not noticed. Went back another shoot and they were DNG which is what I have always used. I did not change this in the MENU. It is possible I inadvertently hit a button or combination of buttons. I am still getting used to the KP layout. Any thoughts why DNG would change to PEF or default to PEF without using the menu?

4 Days Ago   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Using my relatively new KP I took some shots of our new vehicle and much to my surprise when I downloaded them they were PEF files. I check my shots from a few days ago and they were also PEF, I had not noticed. Went back another shoot and they were DNG which is what I have always used. I did not change this in the MENU. It is possible I inadvertently hit a button or combination of buttons. I am still getting used to the KP layout. Any thoughts why DNG would change to PEF or default to PEF without using the menu?
Did you apply firmware updates between those sessions? Typically it doesn’t change the settings but it has happened to me once in a while.
4 Days Ago   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
NO

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Did you apply firmware updates between those sessions? Typically it doesn’t change the settings but it has happened to me once in a while.
No, I have yet to do the recent firmware.
4 Days Ago   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Funny enough I've done this but still don't know how I did it and I just had a fiddle again after reading this thread. Same as you, I took some pef's without knowing, except in my case LR 5.7 couldn't read them and alerted me on import, otherwise I might not have noticed.

So no help from me on an answer as to how but at least you're not alone.

4 Days Ago   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did this once, can't remember which Pentax model but simply stated, I had inadvertently hit the "reset" function in the menu. A surprise but was able to change it back to my "normal" and hasn't happended since. Chalked it up to just being part of the learning process.
4 Days Ago   #6
Pentaxian

Any thoughts why DNG would change to PEF or default to PEF without using the menu?
I had that specific case of RAW format being automatically changed from DNG to PEF with the K1. It was related to using a certain camera mode or video and going back to stills mode, something like that, with RAW format not reverting to DNG automatically.
4 Days Ago   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You probably touched FX1 and then you can temporarily take pictures in another file format. See page 48 of the manual. Hope this helps!

Read more at: KP wanted to shoot PEF - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I had that specific case of RAW format being automatically changed from DNG to PEF with the K1. It was related to using a certain camera mode or video and going back to stills mode, something like that, with RAW format not reverting to DNG automatically.
I just tried the FX1 button and it did not change the format. I may have inadvertently turned on "movie" in changing settings but I have never shot video with the camera. I will play with that and see. This started as I was checking out a newly repaired lens, Sigma 17-50. I would not believe that could have an affect but this stuff is all magic to me as i was raised in the mechanical age.
4 Days Ago   #8

I wonder whether switching "custom drive modes" could cause that effect, if one had set one to dng and forgot to set the others to dng, those others would still be taking the default.

4 Days Ago   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
I wonder whether switching "custom drive modes" could cause that effect, if one had set one to dng and forgot to set the others to dng, those others would still be taking the default.
Although I have not used the camera extensively I have used the most of the programable functions with out this happening. I just ran some "movie" tests and the DNG format did not change.
4 Days Ago   #10
Pentaxian

I just tried the FX1 button and it did not change the format. I may have inadvertently turned on "movie" in changing settings but I have never shot video with the camera. I will play with that and see.
Somethings like multiexposures, or timelapse, or something, I don't remember what mode did the switch to PEF, but I remember well that I could reproduce the behavior.
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Somethings like multiexposures, or timelapse, or something, I don't remember what mode did the switch to PEF, but I remember well that I could reproduce the behavior.
I keep it simple. Being from the film era and never having an overabundance of money, I still tend to take time to set up a shot and aside from fooling with exposure bracketing I do not use the "finer" points, use manual mode, back button focus, and manual focus if necessary. I will try to watch for it to happen again and if it does i will post. Thanks for your interest.
4 Days Ago   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Were you using a User Mode that may have had PEF selected?
4 Days Ago   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Any thoughts why DNG would change to PEF or default to PEF without using the menu?
This is something that happens most commonly with the control panel (info button) or as an accidental inclusion to a User mode. DNG PEF is the default, but once changed, it should stay that way, unless part of a saved User mode.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 4 Days Ago at 06:26 PM. Reason: clarity and accruracy