Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 79 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2021, 04:07 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Today I have put an order through!

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get free delivery on the 64GB memory card so I bought 2x 128GB instead. The extra capacity is fine and probably will be better for timelapse captures down the line.

Once the camera and parts are delivered I will become an official Pentax user. It's a great feeling and I'm not sure if I will be able to sleep now till the arrival date.

One last time, THANK YOU to everyone for all your advise and input. I really appreciate it and I'm so glad that I haven't made a mistake by getting too much or unnecessary things.

Hopefully, now with the camera I will be able to work towards getting images I want and can be proud of rather then being limited by equipment that is not flexible or expandable. Of course talent and technique are different matters.... I'm not sure about the talent part (that is if I have any) but I know that I will work hard and keep learning and trying new things to achieve the results that I want.

06-25-2021, 04:47 AM - 2 Likes   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kayasaman Quote
Hopefully, now with the camera I will be able to work towards getting images I want and can be proud of rather then being limited by equipment that is not flexible or expandable. Of course talent and technique are different matters.... I'm not sure about the talent part (that is if I have any) but I know that I will work hard and keep learning and trying new things to achieve the results that I want.
One more piece of advice : don't develop anxiety over your picture-taking, imposing unreasonable goals on your shoulders at first. You must have fun making images, not feel that you're not "good enough". Results will get better with experience. When I first got into medium-format for example, I just wanted to achieve the "ultimate picture". This took all the spontaneity out of my results and, at first, all I produced were static and not very interesting pictures. Allow yourself to be less than "perfect", don't impose unrealistic expectations upon yourself. HAVE FUN !

Regards

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 06-25-2021 at 06:32 AM.
06-28-2021, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From there I can decide on next step... more primes or wide zoom??
That's a very personal choice.

regarding wide zooms, choices are a bit limited. The DFA 15-30 is superb, but big. The older Fa 20-35 can be had used and many love it (I didn't click with it personally). Sigma made a few in the past, available used also. Otherwise the coolest wide lenses nowadays are primes (Laowa, Irix, etc).

Maybe a trip somewhere with some spare pocket change to thank you guys with a coffee and nice conversation??
That would be fine, when the pandemic leaves us alone Although Quebec city might be a bit far away.
06-28-2021, 10:51 AM   #94
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That's a very personal choice.

regarding wide zooms, choices are a bit limited. The DFA 15-30 is superb, but big. The older Fa 20-35 can be had used and many love it (I didn't click with it personally). Sigma made a few in the past, available used also. Otherwise the coolest wide lenses nowadays are primes (Laowa, Irix, etc).

That would be fine, when the pandemic leaves us alone Although Quebec city might be a bit far away.

Yeah, the 15-30mm zoom is very attractive. I do have a list of lenses which I am thinking about, a few are fixed length while while two are zooms. The 15-30mm of course and the 70-210mm lenses are on my "look at more closely" list.

Quebec is nice, especially in winter

It would be nice to travel to Canada one day. That said, I have many friends in Japan who are continuously bugging me to fly over; though at 15 hours minimum flight time it needs to be worked out.
Though for Canada I would love to go and view the NWT, national parks and especially the Pacific Railroad through the Rockies in the west.

Currently I just found what I think is an amazing deal on a tripod.

Lion Rock 20 Mark II tripod including tripod head ? Rollei

The Rollei Lion Rock 20 mkII with included 20kg capacity ball head. Currently they reduced it by 69% to 400 Euros (~$477 US). It looks very attractive though I will read a few reviews about Rollei first.

The specified weight rating is really good at 20kg for both the legs and head. It is unlikely that my setup even in the future will ever reach 10kg, probably 5kg with a large lens plus camera....

For now I need to look at the reliability of the system and if the head will sag as seems to be a problem with low-end systems.... not sure about Rollei though.

Height is good at 160cm/5.2ft, though the Lion Rock 25 mkII model offers a higher usage mode but at the expense of extra weight.

It's so tempting at this price but I don't want to make a rushed decision.

06-29-2021, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Quebec is nice, especially in winter
I agree, but not all tourists do

Though for Canada I would love to go and view the NWT, national parks and especially the Pacific Railroad through the Rockies in the west.
Good plan! Canada is so wide, residents often miss most of it. I've never been farther west than Calgary.

Currently I just found what I think is an amazing deal on a tripod.
Looks like a fair price, Rollei have a good reputation but I don't know that one.

For now I need to look at the reliability of the system and if the head will sag as seems to be a problem with low-end systems.... not sure about Rollei though.
True about sag. Again, I'm not familiar with that particular tripod. I have not experienced visible sag (except maybe for macro) with medium to high-quality heads.

I would not put too much faith in weight capacity of systems, there's no consistent way to measure it so usefulness is limited.
06-29-2021, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Though for Canada I would love to go and view the NWT
Search "ICE PILOTS" on the Web or Youtube (National Geographic TV). This is a program about the Buffalo Airways Co. in Yellowknife (owner Joe McBryan). They fly all over the Northwest Territories.

Regards
06-29-2021, 11:01 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Search "ICE PILOTS" on the Web or Youtube (National Geographic TV). This is a program about the Buffalo Airways Co. in Yellowknife (owner Joe McBryan). They fly all over the Northwest Territories.

Regards
Actually I was watching a flight documentary on Canadian North Airlines. They went to many places including Yellowknife, Norman Wells and Daivik Mine.Unfortunately only SD 480p quality on a 4k screen (ouch!) but still a great way to spend 3.5 hours

There's also a brilliant 4k video on Youtube as part of the IMAX series featuring the Rocky Mountain Express:

K1 is set to arrive tomorrow so currently going through the manual on certain features which I don't quite understand the behavior yet. Also watching the Cape Nights channel: Cape Nights Gallery - Cape Night Photography - YouTube

Slight difference between the K1 original and mark II so it's interesting to learn about how the same thing is achieved like Bulb Timer mode on the Mk II. I think Bulb mode gets slaved to the Internal Timer in this case on the Mk II.

Aaaah man, like a kid I got so excited I started marking points on Google Maps where I wana go visit. Lofoten in Norway is a definite must see! It's also quite close to me by car too so once am more familiar with things and have grabbed the backpack and tripod I can go visit.

07-01-2021, 05:49 AM - 3 Likes   #98
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Tada...

It's in!!!!

Commemorative photo

They didnt have the Rokinon/Samyang 24mm f1.4 in stock so I guess that will arrive at a later date....

For now I'll use my ancient/old Kodak case.... "Atlanta 1996 Olympic Cameras"??

Last edited by kayasaman; 07-06-2021 at 03:49 AM.