Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2021, 08:11 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Problem with Ricoh Digital Camera Utility and K3 iii DNG

Until recently I have mainly used Irfanview for PP with my KP DNG images, and then almost exclusively for cropping only. However, recently, I started to experiment with underexposed shots using Ricoh Camera Utility v 5.7 (experiments on underexposed shots in Irfanview did not work out - more likely because I didn't really understand the software than a failing in the software itself).

However I have now become the (shell-shocked) owner of the K3 iii, and have discovered that while the Ricoh software will load images from the K3 iii in Browse view, I end up with a blank in the picture area when going into "Laboratory" mode. This happens regardless of whether I shoot JPG or raw (DNG).

Anyone???

06-13-2021, 08:23 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have you updated DCU ? Latest version is 5.9.2 I believe.

5.7 is 4 years old.
06-13-2021, 09:24 PM   #3

The latest version is v5.9.2. v5.9.1 ships with the K-3iii. Change the USB mode in the settings and you can access the setup file through the USB connection. v5.9.1 has some bugs that were fixed in 5.9.2 which still has some bugs.
06-13-2021, 09:39 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Have you updated DCU ? Latest version is 5.9.2 I believe.

5.7 is 4 years old.
I thought I had recently updated - but no!

Updated, problem solved. Thanks heaps!

06-14-2021, 03:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Glad it is solved. I use Irfanview for viewing images, preferring to use either XnView Classic or FastStone for the actual manipulation - I find that Irfanview outputs somewhat 'crude' images for my taste. Irfanview can be set up to open an image in either XnView Classic or FastStone (or, indeed, other image editing software of your choice), while still maintaining the gallery view of the folder in which the images reside. Both of these are free, BTW.

YMMV
06-15-2021, 05:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ran into a similar problem with DCU 5.9.2 yesterday. The DCU browser would load the DNGs properly but when an individual image was clicked part of the screen was a gray rectangle. I shut DCU down then tried to reopen it and DCU crashed with the Win10 message that there was a problem and DCU was shutting down. I tried to reopen DCU several times and same problem. I then did a complete uninstall of DCU and reloaded the original program .exe file from the Mk III every thing worked fine, downloaded the update and reloaded it and same crash. I am back to the original DCU 5.9.1 program less update and things are working well......So Far.

I'm wondering if the original executable from the Mk III was a 32 bit file or a 64 bit file? The update I used was a 64 bit file, but things worked fine last week......Hmmmmm?

My usual RAW developer is DXO PhotoLab and I'm waiting for them to produce the Mk III profile and having to work with DCU in the meantime.
06-15-2021, 07:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I ran into a similar problem with DCU 5.9.2 yesterday. The DCU browser would load the DNGs properly but when an individual image was clicked part of the screen was a gray rectangle. I shut DCU down then tried to reopen it and DCU crashed with the Win10 message that there was a problem and DCU was shutting down. I tried to reopen DCU several times and same problem. I then did a complete uninstall of DCU and reloaded the original program .exe file from the Mk III every thing worked fine, downloaded the update and reloaded it and same crash. I am back to the original DCU 5.9.1 program less update and things are working well......So Far.

I'm wondering if the original executable from the Mk III was a 32 bit file or a 64 bit file? The update I used was a 64 bit file, but things worked fine last week......Hmmmmm?

My usual RAW developer is DXO PhotoLab and I'm waiting for them to produce the Mk III profile and having to work with DCU in the meantime.
DCU v5.9.2 is not without it's problems.
I've found the need to go to the 'Window' tab and choose 'Default Layout' to rectify the "loss" of the 'Folders' sub-window. This, of course, puts everything back to "normal", not as I want it across two screens. Provided I don't try to move the 'Folders' sub-window I can work with it.
I did log the problem with Ricoh UK Support but got a reply that there was nothing further that could be done (or words to that effect) and the case was closed.
The DCU v5.9.2 download is a .zip containing both 32-bit and 64-bit installers. I don't remember for certain but I seem to remember the v5.9.1 software within the camera is also dual-format. I've certainly got it installed (and updated) on both 32-bit and 64-bit machines.
Looking forward to v5.9.3

06-15-2021, 07:26 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I've found the need to go to the 'Window' tab and choose 'Default Layout' to rectify the "loss" of the 'Folders' sub-window. This, of course, puts everything back to "normal", not as I want it across two screens. Provided I don't try to move the 'Folders' sub-window I can work with it.
There was a similar problem in Photoshop CS2.