Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2021, 10:07 AM   #1

Pentax Spotmatic SP battery issue

Looking to check a Spotmatic SP
The battery is very small? I tried to insert 387S, but it appears to be too big?

Is there a smaller replacement battery for this model?

Picture of SP battery compartment which does have a plastic lining, it does NOT seem to be removable.
Picture of the original battery, it is the SMALLER... and the 387S which is the larger.

So what is the solution? thanks, Richard

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D800E  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D800E  Photo 
06-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

The 387s is a 1.55V battery. The SP uses 1.35V batteries. The original mercury PX-400 battery is long discontinued but there are replacements available like Weincell and others.

Thanks,
Ismael
06-14-2021, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hombrec Quote
The battery is very small? I tried to insert 387S
The battery on the left does not appear to be a 387S. The 387S is a 394 cell with a plastic collar that serves as a spacer and will be labeled 394 on the (+) side. The spacer may be white or black (depending on brand) and will match the contour and diameter of the battery compartment.

Below is a photo of the Renata 387S that I use. The Energizer 387S has a white collar.

Name:  387s.png
Views: 3149
Size:  35.8 KB

In regards to voltage...the meter circuit in the Spotmatic is not particularly voltage sensitive and will work nicely with the 1.55V 387S.

Added: The battery compartment in your photo looks identical to that in my Spotmatic II. The plastic part is not removable.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-14-2021 at 11:19 AM.
06-14-2021, 11:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am planning to use SP1000 myself. And I have found this thread:
Asahi spotmatic sp battery recommendation - PentaxForums.com
So I was under impression that 387S is OK for SP1000 or SP500

06-14-2021, 05:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here is a link that shows replacements for older/discontinued/hard to find batterys: Photoethnography.com - Classic Cameras

Energizer 387S is one that is widely available online
06-14-2021, 09:54 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The battery on the left does not appear to be a 387S. The 387S is a 394 cell with a plastic collar that serves as a spacer and will be labeled 394 on the (+) side. The spacer may be white or black (depending on brand) and will match the contour and diameter of the battery compartment.

Below is a photo of the Renata 387S that I use. The Energizer 387S has a white collar.

Attachment 538557

In regards to voltage...the meter circuit in the Spotmatic is not particularly voltage sensitive and will work nicely with the 1.55V 387S.

Added: The battery compartment in your photo looks identical to that in my Spotmatic II. The plastic part is not removable.

Steve
Yes thanks for response. I took the plastic collar off the 387S, but it still did not fit.

The small battery is definitely different sized... thanks for the response. Regards, Richard
06-14-2021, 09:56 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

The 387s is a 1.55V battery. The SP uses 1.35V batteries. The original mercury PX-400 battery is long discontinued but there are replacements available like Weincell and others.

Thanks,
Ismael
Thank you for your response... I am aware of these variants... my concern here is this original IS VERY SMALL, the alternatives are larger...

06-15-2021, 11:24 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes thanks for response. I took the plastic collar off the 387S, but it still did not fit.
The collar is required to fit. The original battery would have been a PX400, which is the same diameter and thickness (12mm X 3mm) as the 387S with collar attached. The battery that was in the camera appears to be too small is should not be a good fit. What are the numbers on the two batteries that you have?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-15-2021 at 11:42 AM.
06-15-2021, 01:36 PM   #9

Struggling with Batteries!

I have just finally replaced my Asahi Spotmatic II and need a clear guide to which battery to buy? I tried a Duracell LR44 as recommended elsewhere and it is too big! Any clear advice most welcome!!

Many thanks Simon
06-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by simon66 Quote
I have just finally replaced my Asahi Spotmatic II and need a clear guide to which battery to buy? I tried a Duracell LR44 as recommended elsewhere and it is too big! Any clear advice most welcome!!

Many thanks Simon
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

You are correct. The LR44 will not fit in the Spotmatic II. Your options for direct replacement are:
  • Wein MRB400 (1.35V zinc-air cell): Correct voltage, but limited life span once put into service.
  • 387S (1.5V silver oxide 394 cell with plastic collar to provide fit): Higher voltage, but your SP II is not voltage sensitive except for the ragged edges of sensitivity and even then, not by much. I use this product and am partial to the Varta brand.

Adapter options include:
  • H-B adapter (replacement battery cover with step-down diode for SR626W cell for 1.35V): Provides 1.35V from readily available silver button cell. Advantage is that the adapter replaces the often badly worn battery chamber lid. I am aware of the version made by Kanto Camera in Japan, though I am sure there are others. With COVID restrictions, availability might be limited (LINK...half-way down page).
  • Simple shell adapters (1.35V from adapted hearing aid cell): Same concerns as the Wein cell,, though cheaper.

I hope this helps.

Steve
06-15-2021, 04:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Adapter options include:
  • H-B adapter (replacement battery cover with step-down diode for SR626W cell for 1.35V): Provides 1.35V from readily available silver button cell. Advantage is that the adapter replaces the often badly worn battery chamber lid. I am aware of the version made by Kanto Camera in Japan, though I am sure there are others. With COVID restrictions, availability might be limited (LINK...half-way down page).

I hope this helps.

Steve
Small Battery Company also has the adapter (here: H-B Adapter. Replacement for PX400, EPX400 or RM400 discontinued Mercury cells.), may be a good alternative place to get it right now due to COVID & Japan limiting what mail they recieve & send out. I got the MR-9 adapter from them and it took ~2 weeks or so to get to me.
06-15-2021, 06:32 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Small Battery Company also has the adapter (here: H-B Adapter. Replacement for PX400, EPX400 or RM400 discontinued Mercury cells.), may be a good alternative place to get it right now due to COVID & Japan limiting what mail they recieve & send out. I got the MR-9 adapter from them and it took ~2 weeks or so to get to me.
Yes, Small Battery in Great Britain is an option as might be C.R.I.S Camera Repair in Arizona. C.R.I.S. is sold out of the H-B at present, however. It is my understanding that both companies sell the Kanto product.

Mercury Battery Adapters ? CRISCAM Webstore

Pre-COVID, my strong preference has been to deal with Kanto directly, if for no other reason than price (H-B with shipping = $32 USD). At present, they will ship to the U.S. as postal regulation allows (info@kantocamera.com for current shipping restrictions).

Steve
06-15-2021, 08:43 PM   #13

Original Poster

Attachment 538557

Steve
Thanks for the reply... it is definitely a 387S, I removed the white plastic cover, seeing that with it, this battery was way too big, without it, the battery still didn't fit... at this point... I have given up on this project... thanks for input
06-15-2021, 09:23 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks for the reply... it is definitely a 387S, I removed the white plastic cover, seeing that with it, this battery was way too big, without it, the battery still didn't fit... at this point... I have given up on this project... thanks for input
If it is too big, regardless of whether the spacer (collar) is fitted, then it is not a 387S. The cell on the (+) side should be stamped with the brand and size. If the size is not there or is not 394 or 394/380, than it is the wrong battery.

I hope this turns out well. Good luck.

Steve
06-15-2021, 09:31 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Different companies use different codes for their batteries. For the SP, SP11, and SP1000, I use an LR41 (SR41) which is also called AG3 392. It is a small cell and it fits.

Last edited by arnold; 06-15-2021 at 09:51 PM.