Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2021, 06:55 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Seems like you have received some good advice, hope you find the solution.
The solution locally has been to let the camera acclimate to the temperature. That's easy when I have to put the camera in the vehicle and drive to my shooting location. I'll see what I can do when I go directly from a cold room to the sauna of my local area. The hot hands worked great for my kids when in band.

07-24-2021, 01:17 PM   #17

Original Poster
Well I tried the "Hot Hands" (HH) idea this morning when I went shooting. It worked well (sorta). I found that if I put the HH right next to a lens, that lens got really hot (uncomfortable to me hot). If I put the HH in the camera bag, not directly touching any lens, it did warm up the insides (and all the lenses and camera body) to the point where they did not fog up when I started taking pictures. The main idea is to put the HH in the bag ~30 minutes before you want to use the camera/lens in a humid environment. HH are easy to get in my area and I had a few leftover from a number of years ago when my kids were in band (they were critical there to keep fingers warm during cold football games). So it looks like HH will become a part of my camera bag supplies (along with the bug wipes so I don't get eaten alive by mosquitoes).
The funny problem I ran into is that it seems the back end of my SUV has an air vent somewhere (I've not found it yet) so that it keeps that area nice and cold when I am driving. Normally, that's a good thing as your groceries won't melt on the way home. In my case, I WANT the temperature in the back to warm up to try and acclimate the camera bag/case to the outside temperatures while I drive to my shooting spot.
07-24-2021, 08:22 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dmach47 Quote
Well I tried the "Hot Hands" (HH) idea this morning when I went shooting. It worked well (sorta). I found that if I put the HH right next to a lens, that lens got really hot (uncomfortable to me hot). If I put the HH in the camera bag, not directly touching any lens, it did warm up the insides (and all the lenses and camera body) to the point where they did not fog up when I started taking pictures. The main idea is to put the HH in the bag ~30 minutes before you want to use the camera/lens in a humid environment. HH are easy to get in my area and I had a few leftover from a number of years ago when my kids were in band (they were critical there to keep fingers warm during cold football games). So it looks like HH will become a part of my camera bag supplies (along with the bug wipes so I don't get eaten alive by mosquitoes).
The funny problem I ran into is that it seems the back end of my SUV has an air vent somewhere (I've not found it yet) so that it keeps that area nice and cold when I am driving. Normally, that's a good thing as your groceries won't melt on the way home. In my case, I WANT the temperature in the back to warm up to try and acclimate the camera bag/case to the outside temperatures while I drive to my shooting spot.
If the back end gets cold, I would not transport my equipment in that area. Maybe using the back seat or even the front seat, if appropriate space is available, would be a better place.
07-27-2021, 01:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Indeed, you need to give the camera/lens time to adjust.

Just don't change lenses while you do. I made that mistake once, and my camera (a K-3 II) started behaving strangely soon after. The SR system went crazy, blurring all my images for the rest of the day. Overnight I put it in a fridge to dry out, which seemed to have worked to get rid of most of the moisture inside the camera, but after a few shots the following morning the camera still gave an overheating warning and froze. I left it in the hotel room and use my Pentax Q that day and the next. At the end of the second day the K-3 II was still dead, but the next morning it came on and worked again, albeit slightly less responsive, esp taking its time to switch off after I flicked the on/off switch to off. It got better over the following days, and after about a week the camera was back to normal. Not something I want to go through again, but the camera survived and is working still 4 years later. I did get a second K-3II body when I was back home, just to have a back-up.

07-27-2021, 02:23 AM   #20
Lev
Veteran Member

I always do adaptation, sudden temperature change is evil.
07-27-2021, 09:42 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
If the back end gets cold, I would not transport my equipment in that area. Maybe using the back seat or even the front seat, if appropriate space is available, would be a better place.
Problem is, the back seat is as cold as the back end. What I need to do is find the vent (or vents) that send cold air to the back end and close them. My UV doesn't have 3rd row seating, but evidently, it has 3rd row cooling.
Note, I live in the South. Right now we are having near triple digit temperatures with mid- 70's dew points (hot & humid). Not running the A/C is NOT an option.

---------- Post added 07-27-21 at 09:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Just don't change lenses while you do. I made that mistake once...after about a week the camera was back to normal.
DANG! Thanks for the warning. I will be careful. I actually got away with that the first time I had issues. Lucky for me, the K-1ii didn't freak out.
07-28-2021, 07:17 AM   #22
Veteran Member

This last weekend, I took some shots in a VERY hot and humid area (South Texas). The problem was the camera was stored in a cool dry room (my hotel room) and when I went outside to shoot, everything got foggy. Does anyone have any hints to help warm up a camera so it doesn't collect moisture when going from a cool place to a warm humid one? I don't remember having this issue with my PZ-1.
Note, the solution I came up with at the time was to just sit at a picnic table for 30+ minutes with my camera and lenses out like I was selling them until all the moisture evaporated from the equipment. My wife suggested (in jest!) that I just microwave the camera to a nice 90 degree temperature before I go out to shoot pictures in such a humid environment. I'd like an alternative solution...
A freezer bag but put them in separated the camera with the body cap on and lens with caps on. This way the volume of air in each is reduced and will amaculate faster.

07-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Problem is, the back seat is as cold as the back end. What I need to do is find the vent (or vents) that send cold air to the back end and close them. My UV doesn't have 3rd row seating, but evidently, it has 3rd row cooling.
Note, I live in the South. Right now we are having near triple digit temperatures with mid- 70's dew points (hot & humid). Not running the A/C is NOT an option.

---------- Post added 07-27-21 at 09:54 AM ----------

DANG! Thanks for the warning. I will be careful. I actually got away with that the first time I had issues. Lucky for me, the K-1ii didn't freak out.
I also lived in the south for several years and understand the necessity of air conditioning. When I lived there cars did not have remote start, at least not the ones I owned, so it was important to open he doors or windows to let all the super heated air out before sitting in the vehicle.