Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2021, 01:31 PM   #1

Condensation Issues

This last weekend, I took some shots in a VERY hot and humid area (South Texas). The problem was the camera was stored in a cool dry room (my hotel room) and when I went outside to shoot, everything got foggy. Does anyone have any hints to help warm up a camera so it doesn't collect moisture when going from a cool place to a warm humid one? I don't remember having this issue with my PZ-1.
Note, the solution I came up with at the time was to just sit at a picnic table for 30+ minutes with my camera and lenses out like I was selling them until all the moisture evaporated from the equipment. My wife suggested (in jest!) that I just microwave the camera to a nice 90 degree temperature before I go out to shoot pictures in such a humid environment. I'd like an alternative solution...

06-15-2021, 01:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dmach47 Quote
Does anyone have any hints to help warm up a camera so it doesn't collect moisture when going from a cool place to a warm humid one?
I'm not sure I would follow your wife's suggestion. Nice of her to be concerned, though!

We have a similar problem up here in Canada in the winter -- going from the cold outdoors after a photo outing into the warm, relatively humid house.

A common precaution is to allow the camera + lens(es) to acclimatize to the new environment while in a sealed enclosure. I use large zippered freezer bags and let the gear sit for 30-60 minutes to warm up. Sometimes I keep the gear in my camera bag (its padding offers a bit of insulation so the contents don't warm up too quickly).

- Craig
06-15-2021, 01:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess it isn't a real problem as long as you don't change lenses. I have the same problem when i go into a greenhouse (botanic garden in the neighborhood) to take pictures.
I have a uv filter on my lens so i can wipe the moisture of it so i can take pictures earlier than being 30 min in the greenhouse. (Of course i wouldn't do that with the front element of the lens itself)
06-15-2021, 01:53 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Sometimes I keep the gear in my camera bag (its padding offers a bit of insulation so the contents don't warm up too quickly).
One of the things I found that DIDN'T work was leaving the camera system in the camera bag to "warm up". The bag was insulated enough (from the padding) that even 30 minutes after going outside, the lenses were still cold enough to fog up. It was really frustrating. I almost want to get a hair dryer to warm it up before I go outside. Again, I'm not sure about the sanity of that idea.

06-15-2021, 02:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd like an alternative solution...
Put it in a sealed plastic bag, and wait 30 minutes for it to warm up.
06-15-2021, 02:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The bag was insulated enough (from the padding) that even 30 minutes after going outside, the lenses were still cold enough to fog up. It was really frustrating.
Good point. I guess it depends on the bag's configuration and the thickness of the padding. Scratch that idea.
06-15-2021, 03:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

As was already mentioned, I use sealed plastic bags when bringing my equipment in/out to avoid excess condensation or dust/particles during travel, leaving some air in the bag.

06-15-2021, 06:30 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you for the information.
06-15-2021, 09:41 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Note, the solution I came up with at the time was to just sit at a picnic table for 30+ minutes with my camera and lenses out like I was selling them until all the moisture evaporated from the equipment.
I would do the same.

My wife suggested (in jest!) that I just microwave the camera to a nice 90 degree temperature before I go out to shoot pictures in such a humid environment. I'd like an alternative solution...
Microwave electronic device? I hope I didn't read it wrong. but, Microwave electronic device? ... nope

In Japan, we have some kind of (chemical) heat pack call "Kairo" which we use for warming up hand, body in winter.
If you have a similar one over there, try 2 large packs together with the gears in a camera bag might helps.
06-15-2021, 10:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Large ziploc bags are the way to go. Put the camera in the bag before going out. Using chemical hand warmers are an interesting idea. Where I live, dollar stores sometimes have them in the winter.
06-16-2021, 03:56 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This issue has been around since people started taking cameras outside, and is not just limited to radical temperature changes,

I have had my cameras fog up internally simply by being outside in humid conditions, once in New Orleans and once in Dublin (I use a non WR tamron 28-75/2.8)

On a similar note, when working once in Georgia I had my glasses fog up just by walking outside a building on a humid day, and needed wipers to keep the condensate off the outside of the windshield (which was cold due to the AC being on in the car)
06-16-2021, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
In Japan, we have some kind of (chemical) heat pack call "Kairo" which we use for warming up hand, body in winter.
If you have a similar one over there, try 2 large packs together with the gears in a camera bag might helps.
That's a good idea. We do have them here. I learned about them (called "hot hands") from my band kids. It seems they needed a way to keep their hands warm enough to play their instruments on cold football game nights. I may even have some spares from those years.
06-30-2021, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I found our version of your "Kairo". They are called Hot Hands.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G991U  Photo 
06-30-2021, 09:33 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I found our version of your "Kairo". They are called Hot Hands.
Hope it works
07-01-2021, 04:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems like you have received some good advice, hope you find the solution.