Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2021, 02:01 PM   #1

P67ii Shutter curtain problem? Light leak!

Hi guys!

So i have a 67ii that i love, but i just keep seeing this really anoying light leak every now and then and i cant figure out where it is coming from.
I first suspected that it was the back cover, so i replaced all the seals with new high grade seals, and for the next roll with new seals, i shot the first 5 frames of that roll with the back completly taped up as a precaution, and on frame 6 i removed the tape to see if the leak would show up.

Somehow this leak that i attached showed up on frame 3 ! So while the back was taped up.. On the other frames it was less apparant, but i suspect that still light leaks though because the borders are never really black, and seem muddy.

Does anyone here recognize this problem? And what would be the cure? Its damn anoying. I would guess itīs a shutter curtain problem but im not sure!
Just wanted to check you guys opinion before sending it out for a probably expensive repair

---------- Post added 06-15-21 at 02:17 PM ----------

I would like to point out that the leak you see on the attached image, was identical on the same spot on every frame on a previous shot roll. After the new seals, it did become much less.. But then this leak on this attached photo is exactly like it used to be before, and now i even had the back taped up. Does that mean maybe that it comes past the seals of the viewfinder on the top? Is that a place where the leaks can go through?

Attached Images

Last edited by Rolfsson; 06-15-2021 at 02:18 PM.
06-15-2021, 02:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rolfsson Quote
Does that mean maybe that it comes past the seals of the viewfinder on the top? Is that a place where the leaks can go through?
The viewfinder would not cause light leaks,as you can shoot without one attached to the body. Is this a new camera you just bought, or did this issue just occur on a camera that you've owned for years?

Phil.
06-15-2021, 02:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
This has been an issue since i bought the camera from a professional photographer two weeks back for a low price.. He never told me about this issue though, and the price was to good to return it, as i might just get it repaired. I was just hoping that i could DIY fix it first
06-15-2021, 02:37 PM   #4

Repairs are pretty reasonable, even if you are out of warrantee.
I've been thinking about sending mine in (one at a time of course) for a really good cleaning - I've got "floaters" in both viewfinders that I could certainly live without!

Check out this site for repair estimates and "the process" => https://pentaxs.com/

06-15-2021, 10:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems that light is getting around the shutter curtain where the mirror hinge is. Try shooting a roll only removing the lens cap when you take a picture.
06-16-2021, 05:37 AM   #6

Original Poster
That in interesting.. It does seem to make sense, as the two pictures here under are from the same roll as the one above, and these two have very minimal leakage, if any.. and i remember that for those shots i didnt compose very long, and put the camera back in the back soon afterwards. Also i made a habit out of advancing the film only just before a new frame, so the frame that is being exposed is only shortly in front of the curtain usually.

The photo above of the man holding a sleeping back does show significant leak. If this is the curtain as you mention, i am out of my depth and will have to contact the local repair man.
Attached Images