Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-17-2021, 03:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Eye Cups, blurred view finder, and general cleaning

Whoop! then "DAGNABIT!"

Received my *ist DL today (e-bay), plopped in the batteries & let it figure out if it liked them or not (it did thank you Thor).

I didn't know it wasn't capable of larger SD cards, so I ordered a couple 2gig cards until I can make sure the firmware has been updated, then I'll get a couple 4gb cards (the smallest SD card I have is a 32gig).

My "two" issues are:

* Where can I get an eyecup for the view finder (The people that sold me the camera must have needed it worse than the camera did). Will other model eye cups work on the *ist DL?

* How do I clean inside the viewfinder. First I used the "Diopter" to make sure it wasn't just out of focus. I can NOT take any images yet because SD card "size envy". I cleaned the sensor, mirror, and carefully cleaned the prism (?). I cleaned the outside of the viewfinder (especially around the edges because GUNK), but it is still smeared looking when you look through it (The "glass" of the viewfinder look brand new, even looking around the inside it doesn't look dirty, but I tried two of my lenses, and it's the same with either).

The camera looks like it was stored on a shelf in a garage for 15 years. I have cleaned it up a lot (still need to get into the nooks and crannies on the body a little better, like around all the buttons & knobs), but that damn viewfinder is still really gooie (too bad to tell if the camera is focused or not, just trust the auto-focus I guess ).

* Last resort:

I figure I'll take it to the car wash, twist off the lens, toss the camera body on the drainage grate, and power wash it's guts for 10 minutes, that'll probably clear that view finder right up .

<Please defenestrate the superfluous closing remark from your mind if the thought of someone actually performing such an act on his old camera pulls your under-britches too far up for comfort>

06-17-2021, 04:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a nice project. Those older DSLRs are interesting and it is fun to restore them.
06-17-2021, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Check out Delkin eFilm Pop-up Shades for an eye-cup and screen-shade assembly. I've got one specifically labelled for the *istDS which has a 2" screen, they may well have made one for the *istDL which has a 2.5" screen.
Other than that, it's an "FN" eyecup that's specified, the same as on my *istDL2, which is currently fitted with the eyecup from my *ist film camera, which has a different manufacturers' part number, but fits well enough to work adequately
I'd suggest that an eyecup from any Pentax DSLR would fit well-enough to work, they all use the "ME" Viewfinder Cap, so the mechanical fitting must be the same!

Afterthought :- One of the O-ME53 Viewfinder Magnifiers might be an alternative, failing anything else, but I guess you'll want to get the viewfinder image clear before you start magnifying it!
A point to consider. The *istDL cameras have a penta-mirror rather than a pentaprism, so you may just be seeing a degredation of the silvering on the mirrors, rather than actual dirt on a prism. Either way, be careful cleaning it, you don't want to damage the silvering if it's not already faulty!
If you don't have one, the User Manual is available from the Ricoh website … Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING … you'll need to scroll down a bit and click on the "Discontinued Models" link to find it.
Enjoy

Last edited by kypfer; 06-17-2021 at 04:49 PM. Reason: afterthought
06-17-2021, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #4

The JJC branded knockoff eyepieces sold on eBay have gotten good reviews by other forum members. I don't know if they have on specifically for the *istD family but it wouldn't surprise me if the K10D ones fit.

As for cleaning inside the viewfinder you're certainly have to do some disassembly.

06-17-2021, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 67comet Quote
I figure I'll take it to the car wash, twist off the lens, toss the camera body on the drainage grate, and power wash it's guts for 10 minutes, that'll probably clear that view finder right up .
Remember...no WR...

Steve
06-17-2021, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got one of those off e-bay listed as not working, parts only. Put a 2gb sd card in and new Energizer alkaline batteries. It works fine. Fun to play with. It's not much different than the old film cameras.
06-17-2021, 06:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Check out Delkin eFilm Pop-up Shades for an eye-cup and screen-shade assembly. I've got one specifically labelled for the *istDS which has a 2" screen, they may well have made one for the *istDL which has a 2.5" screen.
Other than that, it's an "FN" eyecup that's specified, the same as on my *istDL2, which is currently fitted with the eyecup from my *ist film camera, which has a different manufacturers' part number, but fits well enough to work adequately
I'd suggest that an eyecup from any Pentax DSLR would fit well-enough to work, they all use the "ME" Viewfinder Cap, so the mechanical fitting must be the same!
I'll do a little more diggin'. I found a few on Amazon (We can't access e-Bay from work). The LCD screen is fine, but I did like how they cover it from the sun so you can see it better (AND) has a viewfinder eyecup. Thank you for those ideas.
QuoteQuote:
Afterthought :- One of the O-ME53 Viewfinder Magnifiers might be an alternative, failing anything else, but I guess you'll want to get the viewfinder image clear before you start magnifying it!
I started looking at those too, I'll have my girlfriend take a peek through my camera and see if she thinks it is as bad as I do. I like the idea of a little magnification .

QuoteQuote:
A point to consider. The *istDL cameras have a penta-mirror rather than a pentaprism, so you may just be seeing a degradation of the silvering on the mirrors, rather than actual dirt on a prism. Either way, be careful cleaning it, you don't want to damage the silvering if it's not already faulty!
Yes'r, I was easy does it on that little bugger. It all looks like new in there (minus a few small dust hairs and bits.

QuoteQuote:
If you don't have one, the User Manual is available from the Ricoh website … Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING … you'll need to scroll down a bit and click on the "Discontinued Models" link to find it.
Enjoy
One of the first things I went searching for after I clicked the "Take my money" button for the camera. Most of it is second nature (even after 30+ years). Same link I think too bonus.

---------- Post added 06-17-21 at 07:27 PM ----------

QuoteQuote:
The JJC branded knockoff eyepieces sold on eBay have gotten good reviews by other forum members. I don't know if they have on specifically for the *istD family but it wouldn't surprise me if the K10D ones fit.
I'm thinking about ordering one just to see, some of them are less than $10 (US).

QuoteQuote:
As for cleaning inside the viewfinder you're certainly have to do some disassembly.
I'm hesitant to tear it apart, but if I can't get used to the muck I may just push my luck (friggin' poetic). Wouldn't be the first thing I tore apart as soon as I got it .

---------- Post added 06-17-21 at 07:37 PM ----------

QuoteQuote:
Sounds like a nice project. Those older DSLRs are interesting and it is fun to restore them.
I re-cought the bug after getting my girlfriend a Cannon for her birthday (It's a 12 megapixel, but still pretty old). We both had so much fun wondering around disrupting the quiet of the forest "oooh .. aaaaah .. CLICKITY CLACK .. WOW .. That looks amazing! .. KA_LACK!" . I was helping her with composition, trying to get her to venture off the "Full Auto" setting on her camera, and experiment a little bit (Once I showed her how F-stop works with depth of field - she was hooked). I'm TRYING to get her to fire up Darktable and experiment with how she likes pictures to look (been YEARS since I used it, so I need to get busy re-learning that too - No Windows in my house and no Apples in my yard - 100% GNU/Linux in my domain).

If I feel the bug catch like it did so many 35mm cameras ago (Pentax MX/K1000 (lost my MX so I got the K1000), Cannon Rebel ?? and a Nikon Nikkormat FT3 - Still own it), I'll be shopping for my next Pentax (bout a $1200 budget for the next camera).

Thank you for all the input and ideas folks .

06-17-2021, 07:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm pretty sure the JJC ones fit, but I can't find mine to test. My brother had a DL. The first thing that he lost was the eyecup. Then the coating on the viewfinder got damaged and it was hard to see through. I replaced it with another viewfinder from a parts DL. The viewfinder surface should look like a lens, with a multicoating. Replacing it is tedious - you hope it's just the two visible screws behind the eyecup, but you have to take off the bottom plate, back plate and top plate, maybe a dozen screws total. With all those parts flopping around, the swap itself is easy. The DL sometimes dies when its sensor won't record an image, so there are a few parts cameras around. Also some people have stripped them for "white" solenoids to repair other cameras.
06-17-2021, 07:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I'm pretty sure the JJC ones fit, but I can't find mine to test. My brother had a DL. The first thing that he lost was the eyecup. Then the coating on the viewfinder got damaged and it was hard to see through. I replaced it with another viewfinder from a parts DL. The viewfinder surface should look like a lens, with a multicoating. Replacing it is tedious - you hope it's just the two visible screws behind the eyecup, but you have to take off the bottom plate, back plate and top plate, maybe a dozen screws total. With all those parts flopping around, the swap itself is easy. The DL sometimes dies when its sensor won't record an image, so there are a few parts cameras around. Also some people have stripped them for "white" solenoids to repair other cameras.
My viewfinder does look spiffy and multi-colored like a lens. It feels like the muck is inside when you're looking through it, that's what has me wondering if maybe it's moldy in there where I can't see it, or "garage" dust found its way in there while it was sitting out. I'll look at it closer when I get home, the postman dropped it off a few minutes before I left for work so I really didn't get to look at it much (and after I found that SD card size matters, I was deflated instantly).

I'm leaving work a little early today to see if maybe Walmart, Target, or any other store is open this late and might have a 2gb or smaller plane Jane SD card (Cost is no object! )..
06-17-2021, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My guess is the viewfinder matte has been touched. Once someone touches the matte, it's ruined. Both because it's extremely soft and fragile and also because any oil from fingers will get in the delicate ridges.
06-17-2021, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cleaning the viewfinder does require a bit of disassembly.