Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2021, 02:58 AM   #1

Viewfinder dark on my Pentax SV

Hi guys,
Just set up my new asahi pentax sv and it all seemed to be in working condition however after taking my first photo I noticed the viewfinder was dark and therefore I was unable to take further photos.

After taking the lens off, I saw that the mirror had not retracted at all and so I tried to move it myself. To my surprise I was able to move it however it would just flick back up when let go.

After re-cocking the camera and taking another photo (even though the mirror was still up) caused the issue to fix itself until 2 photos later when it occurred again.

Does anyone know any potential fixes to this as opposed to forking out a large sum for a professional to repair it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

06-18-2021, 05:51 AM   #2

Possibly the mirror bumper foam has deteriorated and is sticky. If this is the case you can usually see some residue on the edge of the mirror.

Changing the bumper and leak seals would probably be a good idea if they haven't been changed recently.
06-18-2021, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

Most likely the mirror return gear needs lubrication.
Disregard the words on this image as it is from another of my threads, but carefully lubricate the areas where the arrows are pointing. Use very light machine oil and a small brush. Do not flood it! You don't want oil going all over the place. The smallest amount will do.
Leave it overnight and exercise it the next day. It may get stuck again once or twice at the beginning but it should improve by exercising it.

Thanks,
Ismael
06-26-2021, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your timely response ismael, seems to be working just fine now. Means I can finally get cracking and get some good shots!

06-29-2021, 09:21 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent. Please remember to share some of your photos here (or in the appropriate section of this forum). The world needs more photos taken with the SV.