Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2021, 10:02 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a bad sensor. Depending on what you paid for it try sending it back or if you can't, maybe re-sell it as a parts camera. Best of luck with the decision.

06-19-2021, 12:46 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gamblat Quote
Don’t think u want to do this—yet.
Hahah, if they weren't going to accept the return, I was contemplating it (why not make an English version of that video) ..

---------- Post added 06-19-21 at 01:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
You should return it. Spare yourself the hustle...
Returning it was my first choice but they said no returns on the add. I got e-Bay involved, and they sent me the return postage label, it'll be headed back to California Monday morning. I ordered a K100D Super to replace it (I like being part of the six-megapixel club ), but now I need to go lens shopping (really just want a ~50mm <2f, and a 135mm <=3f - anything more than that is just a bonus).

I've been shopping lenses on eBay and Etsy. I don't "mind" if it is a manual (older lens, but I would like the auto "stuff" lens so I can be a little more lazy.

Anyone used the Halios 44-2 from the USSR (with adapter of course). I really like the blur it makes, but I don't know how "practical" it'd be overall.

Getting re-excited for the K100D to arrive (coming to Utah from Japan).
06-19-2021, 08:28 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Your screen name of 67 Comet is interesting. I learned to drive in a light blue 67 Ford Fairlane.
Yes, I have owned my 1967 Mercury Comet 202 since around 1996. It's been my quarter mile weekend fun car, daily driver (1996-2005), and since 2011 it's been my summer car show, winter storage car. Not much left is stock, but it "looks" stock.

Attached Images

06-20-2021, 08:06 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 67comet Quote
Yes, I have owned my 1967 Mercury Comet 202 since around 1996. It's been my quarter mile weekend fun car, daily driver (1996-2005), and since 2011 it's been my summer car show, winter storage car. Not much left is stock, but it "looks" stock.
Good looking car. Well maintained and cared for.

06-20-2021, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 67comet Quote
Received my memory cards today, fired up the *ist DL, tried to fire off some simple images and it only shows black.
I tried all the modes, flash, no flash, and even bulb, all black.
Possible that the seller swapped the white solenoids of the *istDL against the green ones of his younger Pentax model.

You can find out using those guidelines:
Detection of aperture block/diaphragm-block failure/stuck solenoid K-30, K-50, K500 - PentaxForums.com

If you *ist will all the sudden take good photos "full closed aperture" (lets say f22) in Av Mode
but black wide open, than this is with 99% certainty the case.

Check that before you send it back, it is worth it to know.

And if so, then you mention that accordingly when give him feedback.

The K100D has the 6MP CCD Sensor built in.

That bit better is the 10MP CCD Sensor in the K200D and in the K10D.
K200D is better for JPEG ooc. The K10D superior if you master RAW.
One of the best CCD APS-C bodies.

Aperture Block failure (ABF) or as some call it "black picture problem" happens ONLY with the green China-Solenoid,
never with the white Japan-Solenoid.

PS: If you have a link to that ebay offer, I would like to see it.
I can often detect on photos if some tampering happened.

Last edited by photogem; 06-20-2021 at 10:19 PM.
06-21-2021, 08:07 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Good looking car. Well maintained and cared for.
I just finished writing and loading the pictures, sorry if this is WAY too far off topic.

I sent the Pentax back, and ordered a K100D Super, so hopefully things will be okay come Monday (I'll be out of town when they arrive, so I can't play with them till Sunday night).

I've torn the Comet apart, and put it back together a couple times (bout every single nut and bolt have a cuss word associated with them).

Came to me with a I6 (200ci), manual 4x drum brakes, bench seat, great heater, and 14" wheels. The only options this car had were an automatic, and power steering (eg: no ac, no radio, and no carpet).

I pulled the power steering out when I swapped in the first motor, and the automatic skidded down the driveway as soon as I found the 4-speed manual.

I swapped in a very healthy 302 (block/crank/rods from my mom's "77 Granada, heads off a 351W, 280H cam from Isky (later Summit)) and a 4-speed from my dad's wrecked "66 Cyclone. Stayed that way from 1996-2018 or so. After the 302 swap I drag raced it for a couple summers before moving across country (it's been driven back and forth between North Carolina and Utah several times).

2 - 3 Years ago I pulled the very tired 302, and dropped in a very healthy 351W keeping the same top loader and rear end.

It gets about 1000 miles a year on it now (if the weather doesn't get too hot or there are enough good shows to participate in).

I've been busy with my 2005 Crown Victoria LX for the last couple years (never was a cop car) and swapping in a T45 manual transmission (from a 2000 Mustang SVT Cobra), custom tune, just "enough" car audio, dual exhaust, wheels/tires, better gears, and all new suspension - sits stock height now instead of squatted down on tired springs). It is by far my favorite car now. I drive it every day, it does fine on the freeway (bout 20 mpg with 4:10 gears, 30'ish with 2:73 gears but they are really hard to manage around town).. (Hurst Equipped and 5-Speed plates indicate it isn't quite stock)..

Then I'll be starting on my 1968 Mercury Commuter. It'll be an FE big block 4 speed manual, a/c, power steering, power disc brakes, new interior, and same old miss matched nasty body. I just want a comfy car to drive to work and back, tow my latest car around, and enjoy. For now, it is buyer's remorse ..

This project is pretty big. There's absolutely nothing functional on this station wagon, but the frame is solid, has all the chrome, parts, good glass, replacement parts for all the parts that have cracks, and I've got plenty of motors, transmissions, rear ends, and cuss words to get it back on the road.
06-22-2021, 08:02 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

67 Comet,
You will enjoy the new/old Pentax.
Nice job on the cars; I do believe there is a word (or two) for guys that punish themselves by restoring/upgrading old cars!

06-22-2021, 09:22 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
Nice job on the cars; I do believe there is a word (or two) for guys that punish themselves by restoring/upgrading old cars!
The term "gear heads" comes to mind. lol Kudos and respect to those who have the time, money, knowledge and initiative to restore automobiles. I can only wish and dream of having a fully restored old car or truck.
06-22-2021, 05:40 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
The term "gear heads" comes to mind. lol Kudos and respect to those who have the time, money, knowledge and initiative to restore automobiles. I can only wish and dream of having a fully restored old car or truck.
A really quick way to "not have money" is to focus on building a classic vehicle ..

The quickest way to find yourself broke is to race said classic vehicle . I gave the race track a couple transmissions, a rear and, an axle, a few gallons of antifreeze (my radiator stayed under the hood though), and I'm sure there were other parts that simply jumped off while I was missing gears.

My other hobbies are 3D printing, computer stuff (NOT games), wood working when I find a project I want to focus on, and finding stuff that's not broke so I can work on it until it is.

I got my K100D Super in the mail today (lenses will be here Thursday, and Saturday (while I'm out of town). It is a REALLY nice looking camera compared to the dusty beat up *ist DL I got first (I mailed it out today, and forgot to pull the CR V3 batteries out, so I guess they're getting some new rechargeable.
06-23-2021, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@our new member:
For photos and classic cars etc. better open a new thread.
This thread has an important title: Black images, which sadly we could not verify to the end.
Would have been worth it.

A good place either:

The Six-Megapixel Club - Page 170 - PentaxForums.com
or
Post Your Photos! - PentaxForums.com
This part of the forum is basically for trouble-shooting and beginners help!

by the way: I enjoy classic cars.
Particular well cared one's.