Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2021, 11:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
*ist DL Black Images

Hello,

I got a *ist DL off e-bay. Seller said takes wonderful images, works perfectly. I didn't have a small enough SD card for it to work, so I ordered a few small ones (no one around here has any SD cards that are smaller than 16gb).

Received my memory cards today, fired up the *ist DL, tried to fire off some simple images and it only shows black.

I tried all the modes, flash, no flash, and even bulb, all black.

I upgraded the firmware from 1.00 to 1.03, went through all the modes again, reset the camera, went through all modes again, all black (the first images before the upgrade did have a colored stripe down the right side, but only the first couple images).

Changed to the other lens, all black.

I've tried 4 SD cards (2 1gb cards, and 2 2gb cards), all black.

Is there anything I can do to test the CCD, or a self check?

Thank you

06-18-2021, 11:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have already tested the sensor, and it no longer works. I don't know how prevalent sensor failure is in the istDL, I have had two istDL's develop this problem, I assume the sensors have failed. Both worked one day, the next time I used the camera, I got black frames. Playing back images taken with another body works, and the menus display, so it isn't an LCD failure. Very frustrating, for sure.

You could see if the seller will take it back, or keep/sell it for the white aperture control solenoids it contains for repairing K30/50/70 bodies.

I wish I had better news for you. Best of luck with it.
06-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 67comet Quote
Hello,

I got a *ist DL off e-bay. Seller said takes wonderful images, works perfectly. I didn't have a small enough SD card for it to work, so I ordered a few small ones (no one around here has any SD cards that are smaller than 16gb).

Received my memory cards today, fired up the *ist DL, tried to fire off some simple images and it only shows black.

I tried all the modes, flash, no flash, and even bulb, all black.

I upgraded the firmware from 1.00 to 1.03, went through all the modes again, reset the camera, went through all modes again, all black (the first images before the upgrade did have a colored stripe down the right side, but only the first couple images).

Changed to the other lens, all black.

I've tried 4 SD cards (2 1gb cards, and 2 2gb cards), all black.

Is there anything I can do to test the CCD, or a self check?

Thank you
Make sure the shutter is actually working?
06-18-2021, 12:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Make sure the shutter is actually working?
Yes'r, I popped the lens off and watched it all ca-clack ..

06-18-2021, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've seen two DLs with this problem; I even mentioned it in my reply to your post yesterday. It doesn't seem to happen to the other 6mp cameras so it seems like a connection rather than actual sensor failure. The camera will act like it has taken a photo but not record any usable image data in the file.
06-18-2021, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes'r, I popped the lens off and watched it all ca-clack ..
Well I'm out of ideas. I really don't know much about what goes on inside these things. I'm happy to believe there is a little magician inside them making everything work. Perhaps there is, and the one in your camera has passed on to that great electronic darkroom in the sky.
06-18-2021, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return it.
It never worked after you received it.

06-18-2021, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Send it back.
06-18-2021, 05:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Could this be an aperture block failure? You could try it with a manual lens to see if that is it.

(But return it.)

---------- Post added 06-18-21 at 05:06 PM ----------

Could this be an aperture block failure? You could try it with a manual lens to see if that is it.

(But return it.)
06-18-2021, 05:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote

(But return it.)
Tried a couple lenses, both lenses look good.

I did request a return, then ordered a K100D Super from another seller (that accepts returns). Here's hoping I don't loose my mind (June 24th-29th feels so far away).
06-18-2021, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
You could see if the seller will take it back, or keep/sell it for the white aperture control solenoids it contains for repairing K30/50/70 bodies.
That's why I bought a cheap non working *ist. Parts insurance. Turns out the camera works fine.
06-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looked up some stuff on the YouTubes.. Think this might be the answer (oh man, no way, it's just funny)..
06-18-2021, 07:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looked up some stuff on the YouTubes.. Think this might be the answer (oh man, no way, it's just funny)..
I wonder if it actually could still record an image?

Your screen name of 67 Comet is interesting. I learned to drive in a light blue 67 Ford Fairlane.
06-18-2021, 10:07 PM   #14
Forum Member

Looked up some stuff on the YouTubes.. Think this might be the answer (oh man, no way, it's just funny).. Sensor Cleaning
Don’t think u want to do this—yet.
06-18-2021, 10:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should return it. Spare yourself the hustle...