Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2021, 12:22 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I think that just means free space beforehand to fit the firmware file. But maybe maybe...something to check.
Grasping at straws I am… lol.

06-20-2021, 12:24 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
If I take a good look at the bin file in your picture the zipper is in the image of the bin file, it means that this file is zipped and not unpacked before it was transferred to the camera. Unzip the file and it must work! I am sorry I did not notice this the first time, I should have done so.
I don’t think it’s zipped. Way back in the day, .bin was an extension for compressed files on MacOS, and they have retained that aspect of the icon into current OS versions. Generally, macOS will unzip files as they are downloaded into Downloads.
06-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I don’t think it’s zipped. Way back in the day, .bin was an extension for compressed files on MacOS, and they have retained that aspect of the icon into current OS versions. Generally, macOS will unzip files as they are downloaded into Downloads.
Maybe that is true for MacOS.
06-20-2021, 12:55 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
If I take a good look at the bin file in your picture the zipper is in the image of the bin file, it means that this file is zipped and not unpacked before it was transferred to the SD-Card. Unzip the file and it must work! I am sorry I did not notice this the first time, I should have done so.
Oh damn. I’m on a Mac and was using the unarchiver. If I click on it, it says “unable to expand. It is in an unsupported format”

06-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #35
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This might be a silly idea, but I'd try formatting the card and copying over the bin file from a windows computer. Alternatively, you could copy the bin file using the terminal so that the hidden mac Metadata folder isn't transferred. Perhaps its presence is interfering with the update...

Also, are you using an SD card <= 2gb, not SDHC?
06-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lawlez1 Quote
Oh damn. I’m on a Mac and was using the unarchiver. If I click on it, it says “unable to expand. It is in an unsupported format”
See my earlier post. It’s not zipped. If you click on the file and then do command+I for get info, you can see that it’s definitely not a zip file at this stage.
06-20-2021, 01:00 PM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote

Yeah I've tried to unzip it but it just says it's an unsupported format when I click on it. It unzipped the .sit and that gave me the .bin and readme

---------- Post added 06-20-21 at 01:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This might be a silly idea, but I'd try formatting the card and copying over the bin file from a windows computer. Alternatively, you could copy the bin file using the terminal so that the hidden mac Metadata folder isn't transferred. Perhaps its presence is interfering with the update...

Also, are you using an SD card <= 2gb, not SDHC?

Yeah I'm using a 1gb SD card from way back when lol. I don't know enough about the terminal to try that.

I'm like 2 seconds away from giving up on this. I emailed pentax support in hopes they can help. All of this is just so I can keep using 3 awesome lenses and not having to pay for new lenses for my Nikon D90 (my brother's old camera that he recently gave me).

06-20-2021, 01:44 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Yeah I've tried to unzip it but it just says it's an unsupported format when I click on it. It unzipped the .sit and that gave me the .bin and readme

---------- Post added 06-20-21 at 01:05 PM ----------

Yeah I'm using a 1gb SD card from way back when lol. I don't know enough about the terminal to try that.

I'm like 2 seconds away from giving up on this. I emailed pentax support in hopes they can help. All of this is just so I can keep using 3 awesome lenses and not having to pay for new lenses for my Nikon D90 (my brother's old camera that he recently gave me).
What if someone was to unpack the download and make the resultant .bin file available that you could copy straight onto an SD card? It could just be that your MacOS is "recognising" a .bin file as an executable of some kind and handling it differently than it would a basic data file when it's unpacked. Do you know anyone with a Windows machine that would spend five minutes downloading the file and writing the .bin to your card for you? Firmware updates really are very straightforward, I've probably updated all of my cameras at least once with no problems. There's got to be something "weird" going on !?!
06-20-2021, 01:55 PM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
What if someone was to unpack the download and make the resultant .bin file available that you could copy straight onto an SD card? It could just be that your MacOS is "recognising" a .bin file as an executable of some kind and handling it differently than it would a basic data file when it's unpacked. Do you know anyone with a Windows machine that would spend five minutes downloading the file and writing the .bin to your card for you? Firmware updates really are very straightforward, I've probably updated all of my cameras at least once with no problems. There's got to be something "weird" going on !?!
I have a windows desktop that I can try it on. Doesn’t hurt to try
06-20-2021, 02:02 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I have a windows desktop that I can try it on. Doesn’t hurt to try
Be sure to download the Windows file first: Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING. In this link you find both Windows and Mac. Hope you did not try to expand the windows version on your mac.
06-20-2021, 07:31 PM   #41

The extracted files should be the same. They are "binary" files which means bit for bit they have to be identical. MacOS doesn't use file extensions to determine file type.

Since there is no metadata of this type in the file itself the camera has no way of knowing if the file came from a Mac or a Windows or even a Linux box. The attributes for a file are stored in the Volume metadata on Macs which shows up as a folder (hidden?) if you take a card that was written to on a Mac and read it on a Windows PC. These are the extra files that Adam was talking about.
06-21-2021, 09:35 AM   #42

Is the SD card write protected?
06-21-2021, 01:12 PM   #43

I don't think this thread adds anything but might be worth reviewing:
yaaay, successful update to ist DS firmware 2.02, now I can use my 4Gb SDHC card - PentaxForums.com