Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2021, 01:33 PM   #1

Updating the Firmware

I just recently dusted off my istD S after a few years and need to update the firmware. After some searching and lots of cursing, I finally got the file onto an SD card (needed to find one small enough...) and inserted it. It asks if I want to update the firmware and I go to hit "Yes" but the "Ok" button doesn't work for it. I tested to make sure that the button wasn't broken and it works fine with the menu and what not but it absolutely will not let me confirm the installation.

Any suggestions?

06-19-2021, 01:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

So you have to "select" the YES, right? (So YES is highlighted by using up/down keys). Are you doing that? And then you'd press the OK button. (And make sure you have a full battery, etc etc)
06-19-2021, 02:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
So you have to "select" the YES, right? (So YES is highlighted by using up/down keys). Are you doing that? And then you'd press the OK button. (And make sure you have a full battery, etc etc)
Yeah. I have “yes” selected and go to press “ok” but nothing happens. The up/down keys still let me move from yes to no so the camera isn’t frozen, it just doesn’t respond to the “ok” button when trying to update. I even tried to select “no” and push “ok” but it did the same thing.
06-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I presume the "OK" button worked when when you selected to update the firmware. Weird.

06-19-2021, 03:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I presume the "OK" button worked when when you selected to update the firmware. Weird.
I double checked that the “ok” button worked by putting in a different SD card and going through the menu. It worked just fine to select things but just doesn’t work when trying to update.
06-19-2021, 03:55 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Are the batteries fresh/fully charged?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-19-2021, 04:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Wrong firmware or not actually unzipped or present in the correct location? That's a model where you have to hold down the menu button when you turn it on to get to the firmware update, isn't it? Maybe it is putting up the menu by default but actually isn't finding any firmware to update.

06-19-2021, 04:36 PM   #8

Original Poster
Wrong firmware or not actually unzipped or present in the correct location? That's a model where you have to hold down the menu button when you turn it on to get to the firmware update, isn't it? Maybe it is putting up the menu by default but actually isn't finding any firmware to update.
I’m updating from 1.0. I can double check that it’s properly unzipped but I think it is.

---------- Post added 06-19-21 at 04:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are the batteries fresh/fully charged?
Yeah they’re fresh. I use AA batteries cause I do t have any rechargeable ones.
06-19-2021, 04:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian

File must be unzipped and in the root folder of the card (i.e. not in any folder). And must be the right firmware for the camera, of course.
06-19-2021, 06:45 PM   #10

Original Poster
File must be unzipped and in the root folder of the card (i.e. not in any folder). And must be the right firmware for the camera, of course.

Here is a screenshot of what it looks like in the folder.
Attached Images

06-19-2021, 06:49 PM   #11

Original Poster

This is what it looks like. I select "yes" and hit ok but it does nothing.
Attached Images

06-19-2021, 06:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Interesting. I would try formatting the card *in the camera* -- "NO NAME" is indicating to me it was probably formatted elsewhere. (Copy any pictures you want to save to somewhere else first obviously). And then re-copying the firmware file to it, and try again.
06-19-2021, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would also try “no”. It’s possible the highlighting is backwards.
06-19-2021, 07:53 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would also try “no”. It’s possible the highlighting is backwards.
That would be something. Something for the new firmware to fix!
06-19-2021, 07:55 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That would be something. Something for the new firmware to fix!
Some other menu systems I have are backwards of what I would expect. It is perhaps cultural. Worth a try.