Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2021, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Some other menu systems I have are backwards of what I would expect. It is perhaps cultural. Worth a try.
Sometimes there are two colors -- one for selected and one for unselected -- and it isn't always clear which is which (like when they are only two choices so you don't have the context of many-to-one to guide you). But if this simple highlighted or not is backwards that would be super weird -- a straight out bug I'd say.

06-19-2021, 08:21 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I need to check my firmware, too.

---------- Post added 06-19-21 at 08:22 PM ----------

I have old cameras.
06-20-2021, 01:56 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Just possible this is one of those instances where the previous version of the firmware is just too old to recognise the newer version?
According to my indexing program, I've got a copy of v2.00 from 2006 on an archive. I could make this available as a "share" somewhere if it might be useful.
This would have been used to update my camera, which has subsequently been updated to v2.02.
Obviously, although I believe there to be no problems with my copy, I'll not be taking responsibility for any perceived issues resulting from using it.
06-20-2021, 05:12 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lawlez1 Quote
Here is a screenshot of what it looks like in the folder.
Is the DCIM folder empty? That is why you need a freshly formatted card. The DCIM must be empty! Otherwise it treats the card as a card with only pictures. I recently updated the K-3 II and had the same problem. It was recently formatted but it seems I had took one picture that was on it. I removed the picture and it worked. To be sure before copying the bin file remove the DCIM folder.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 06-20-2021 at 07:24 AM. Reason: typo
06-20-2021, 05:33 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is the *.bin file in the root directory, or the DCIM directory? I'm not sure what the screenshot is telling me.

It needs to be in the root directory of the SD card. I'm not sure if it matters at all whether the DCIM directory is empty or not....
06-20-2021, 07:26 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Is the *.bin file in the root directory, or the DCIM directory? I'm not sure what the screenshot is telling me.

It needs to be in the root directory of the SD card. I'm not sure if it matters at all whether the DCIM directory is empty or not....
I’ve never had a problem with a card with images on it. Not ever. As long as the file was in the root. But clearly the camera is setting finding the file as it identifies the version on screen… this one is strange.
06-20-2021, 07:38 AM   #22

Original Poster
I would also try “no”. It’s possible the highlighting is backwards.
Tried that too. I tried every button on the camera to see if it would start the update but no luck.

I don’t know if I’m just screwed or whether I should try to find a camera store and see if they know what to do.

---------- Post added 06-20-21 at 08:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Interesting. I would try formatting the card *in the camera* -- "NO NAME" is indicating to me it was probably formatted elsewhere. (Copy any pictures you want to save to somewhere else first obviously). And then re-copying the firmware file to it, and try again.
I reformatted it to make sure and it still says “no name” and it’s empty.

---------- Post added 06-20-21 at 08:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

It’s in the root directory

---------- Post added 06-20-21 at 08:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Just possible this is one of those instances where the previous version of the firmware is just too old to recognise the newer version?
According to my indexing program, I've got a copy of v2.00 from 2006 on an archive. I could make this available as a "share" somewhere if it might be useful.
This would have been used to update my camera, which has subsequently been updated to v2.02.
Obviously, although I believe there to be no problems with my copy, I'll not be taking responsibility for any perceived issues resulting from using it.
I was thinking the same thing. It might just be too much of a update leap.

06-20-2021, 08:51 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I downloaded that firmware and looked at the readme.txt -- it says: "Updatable models: istDS digital SLR cameras running Firmware Ver. 1.00/1.01/1.02/2.00/2.01" so it should work from v1.0.

This is actually an *istDS, not a plain *istD (or *istDS2 or *istDL or *istDL2), right? They all have different firmware.
06-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #24

Original Poster
I downloaded that firmware and looked at the readme.txt -- it says: "Updatable models: istDS digital SLR cameras running Firmware Ver. 1.00/1.01/1.02/2.00/2.01" so it should work from v1.0.

This is actually an *istDS, not a plain *istD (or *istDS2 or *istDL or *istDL2), right? They all have different firmware.
Yeah, its an *istDS. I made sure I had the right firmware but I'll triple check. Doesn't hurt, right? lol
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11 Pro Max  Photo 
06-20-2021, 09:13 AM   #25
Pentaxian

All of the others have different version numbers, so it must be the right one. Maybe try it with no lens attached.
06-20-2021, 12:11 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yaaay, successful update to ist DS firmware 2.02, now I can use my 4Gb SDHC card - PentaxForums.com

This thread seems to confirm you’ve done most of this correctly. The only thing I haven’t confirmed is if your sd card might be accidentally write protected. It would have to have happened after you put the file on it.
06-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #27
Pentaxian

yaaay, successful update to ist DS firmware 2.02, now I can use my 4Gb SDHC card - PentaxForums.com

This thread seems to confirm you’ve done most of this correctly. The only thing I haven’t confirmed is if your sd card might be accidentally write protected. It would have to have happened after you put the file on it.
I was thinking that as well, but why would write-protection mess it up since it is just reading the firmware and not writing anything? (Or is just doesn't like it when a card is inserted with protection?)
06-20-2021, 12:18 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was thinking that as well, but why would write-protection mess it up since it is just reading the firmware and not writing anything? (Or is just doesn't like it when a card is inserted with protection?)
The instructions say you need a certain amount of free space. I wasn’t sure if the space was needed to extract information to the card during the process.
06-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lawlez1 Quote
Here is a screenshot of what it looks like in the folder.
If I take a good look at the bin file in your picture the zipper is in the image of the bin file, it means that this file is zipped and not unpacked before it was transferred to the SD-Card. Unzip the file and it must work! I am sorry I did not notice this the first time, I should have done so.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 06-20-2021 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Excuse me
06-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #30
Pentaxian

The instructions say you need a certain amount of free space. I wasn’t sure if the space was needed to extract information to the card during the process.
I think that just means free space beforehand to fit the firmware file. But maybe maybe...something to check.