Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2021, 04:44 AM   #1

Pentax-A 20mm 2.8 haze - thoughts?

Hey,

Received a lens I took a punt on, seller mentioned no major dust / fungus etc, opened the box and quickly found some haze on one of the rear elements using the flash-light test. Just wanted to try and see if I could get some thoughts on clean-ability / severity before returning.

Cheers!

06-22-2021, 04:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sadly, it looks like a fungus to me.
Having said that, fungus can be professionally cleaned and disinfected.
06-22-2021, 05:11 AM - 2 Likes   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Jurredb Quote
Hey,

Received a lens I took a punt on, seller mentioned no major dust / fungus etc, opened the box and quickly found some haze on one of the rear elements using the flash-light test. Just wanted to try and see if I could get some thoughts on clean-ability / severity before returning.

Cheers!
personally i would return it, obviously not as advertised.
06-22-2021, 06:03 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kwong Quote
personally i would return it, obviously not as advertised.
Agreed

06-22-2021, 06:11 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If fungus it can damage the coatings. It’s a real risk that you need to take into account. Chances are your seller will offer a discount, just keep the risk in mind.
06-22-2021, 06:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

That doesn't look good at all
06-22-2021, 06:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Delamination?

06-22-2021, 07:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If fungus it can damage the coatings. It’s a real risk that you need to take into account. Chances are your seller will offer a discount, just keep the risk in mind.
If it's a fungus it can also infect other lenses and cameras.
06-22-2021, 08:03 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
That is a religious debate. Commonly held beliefs on this are polarizing. I can find sources that say that this is a zero risk and sources that say it is a huge risk. Honestly that’s a low risk in my opinion no matter what the absolute truth is if the plan is to clean the lens. You can segregate it away from other lenses and make sure storage of existing gear is dry and humidity is well controlled in general.
06-22-2021, 08:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like more than just haze.
I think damage is done to the lens surface- as others said- maybe fungus.

Return it for sure. JMHO.
06-22-2021, 08:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That is a religious debate. Commonly held beliefs on this are polarizing. I can find sources that say that this is a zero risk and sources that say it is a huge risk. Honestly that’s a low risk in my opinion no matter what the absolute truth is if the plan is to clean the lens. You can segregate it away from other lenses and make sure storage of existing gear is dry and humidity is well controlled in general.
I agree it's a low risk if it's stored away from other gear until cleaned and disinfected.
But leaving it in the same cupboard as the rest of the camera gear for a few years would be a bad idea.
06-22-2021, 08:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Return it, not as advertised and possibly uncleanable.
06-22-2021, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No it can't, the fungus is long dead as soon as it ran out of food and water.

But regardless, the lens is "not as described". Send it back. Its not worth the risk or cost of cleaning.
06-22-2021, 08:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
No it can't, the fungus is long dead as soon as it ran out of food and water.

But regardless, the lens is "not as described". Send it back. Its not worth the risk or cost of cleaning.
How do you know it ran out of food and water? It obviously took some time to get to the size it did and what's to say its stopped growing and shedding spores?
06-22-2021, 08:16 AM - 7 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree it's a low risk if it's stored away from other gear until cleaned and disinfected.But leaving it in the same cupboard as the rest of the camera gear for a few years would be a bad idea.
It is zero risk. There are more spores in the air than there are in that lens. Its simple biology. But nevermind, the OP just needs to send it back.

---------- Post added 06-22-21 at 08:20 AM ----------

How do you know it ran out of food and water?
Fungus doesn't 'shed' spores. It grows fruiting bodies when it is mature. And in 20 years of examining lenses I have never seen fungus inside that has matured enough to grow a fruiting body, thus no spores. Infection comes from spores already in the air.

And it obviously ran out of food or it would be growing all through the lens. Fungus (or anything growing) needs a constant supply of food and water. Fungus starts in lenses because there is moisture in the lens. Once that is used up or dries up the fungus dies.