Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2021, 04:13 AM   #1

New member in need of assitance - K1000 viewfinder

Hi
Just received my K1000 and as I looked through the view, I saw this. Cleaned the mirror, view outer glass and inner glass. Removed lens and cleaned shutter as well. Still there. Where do I clean or is the glass to be replaced?

Attached Images

06-23-2021, 04:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Prism desilvering. It can be resilvered but that would not be cost effective. Better to replace the prism from a parts camera or replace the camera entirely. The K1000 can use a prism from a Spotmatic, prisms from other brands could possibly fit as well.
06-23-2021, 04:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you very much.
06-23-2021, 04:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Cleaned the mirror and shutter Wow! Unless you meant by an air blower, that's scary. The mirror has a very delicate surface (the silvering is on the face, not behind the glass like an ordinary mirror) and you need a very good reason and special methods to touch it. I've never heard of anyone cleaning a shutter (other than by air blower or in a repair workshop) and the shutter cannot have anything to do with your problem because it is not in the line of sight used by the viewfinder.

06-23-2021, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Cleaned the mirror and shutter Wow! Unless you meant by an air blower, that's scary. The mirror has a very delicate surface (the silvering is on the face, not behind the glass like an ordinary mirror) and you need a very good reason and special methods to touch it. I've never heard of anyone cleaning a shutter (other than by air blower or in a repair workshop) and the shutter cannot have anything to do with your problem because it is not in the line of sight used by the viewfinder.
Obviously with an air brush
06-23-2021, 04:53 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gouwsie Quote
Obviously with an air brush
It's worth clearing that up, lest someone reads the tread and believes / thinks it can be done some other way.
06-23-2021, 06:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If this was a recent purchase, and if the seller didn't mention this defect in their description, I'd be seeking a refund. There are plenty of K1000's in better condition for sale out there.

06-23-2021, 07:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gouwsie Quote
Hi
Just received my K1000 and as I looked through the view, I saw this. Cleaned the mirror, view outer glass and inner glass. Removed lens and cleaned shutter as well. Still there. Where do I clean or is the glass to be replaced?
Welcome to the forum!

One of my K1000 was full of viewfinder "debris" when I purchased it. Sent it off for a CLA and it was cleaned up nicely, except for some minor marks on the focusing screen.

Phil.
06-23-2021, 08:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless it was free I would return it
06-23-2021, 10:23 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks like something died in there. Whatever it is, it's between the focusing screen and the prism. That won't be an easy fix on a K1000.
06-23-2021, 01:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does sort of look like something got in there. At first I thought it might be a dried up bug or something like that. Maybe it would be a simple idea to check with a local camera repair shop and ask what it would cost to have it repaired or cleaned out. I do not know if you are interested in checking it yourself and I do not want to make that decision for you, but just in case you want to see a video that pertains to the K-1000 there is a shortcut to a youtube video below.

Last edited by C_Jones; 06-23-2021 at 02:01 PM.