Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2021, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You’re already using the Adobe photographers’ package? I can only assume it’s the monthly tenner or a slow laptop that’s prompted this query because I’d stick with LR/PS unless you really hate it: the tools are top-notch.

06-24-2021, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Fabulous. I also tried luminar, that was equally unsuccessful. It would be nice to try raw therapee. Don't get me wrong, I love lightroom and £10 pm for all I get is actually OK, but if I could find a viable alternative...

OK, those specs sound similar to lightroom. I will give it a wizz
Where Adobe really wins over any of the free options (and many of the other paid ones) is digital asset management. Lightroom's Library module is excellent (as I'm sure you'd agree), and whilst there are open-source alternatives - digiKam, for example, is quite powerful - none comes close for power, flexibility, ease of use and polished presentation.

Some folks will tell you that their photos look under-exposed and/or washed out in RawTherapee, or that shadow and highlight recovery works poorly compared to LR. They're plain wrong - but it takes some time to get used to RT, the default settings, how each adjustment works, and how to get the best from it, especially coming from another app such as LR...
06-24-2021, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
They're plain wrong - but it takes some time to get used to RT, the default settings, how each adjustment works, and how to get the best from it, especially coming from another app such as LR...
Yes it is a steep learning curve for RawTherapee but once one really understands what is going on it allows a lot more control since it doesn't hide options for similar controls like Lightroom does. Add in the number of tools not found in LR to manipulate an image and I do prefer it. Personal favorites are the contrast by level tool and the various wavelet tools. It is a very technical piece of software
06-24-2021, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Corel aftershot pro is also a rather strong alternative for LR and Photoshop

06-24-2021, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Yes it is a steep learning curve for RawTherapee but once one really understands what is going on it allows a lot more control since it doesn't hide options for similar controls like Lightroom does. Add in the number of tools not found in LR to manipulate an image and I do prefer it. Personal favorites are the contrast by level tool and the various wavelet tools. It is a very technical piece of software
I shall give it a go. I tried gimp with little success so that bodes well
06-25-2021, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shall give it a go. I tried gimp with little success so that bodes well
GIMP is more of a Photoshop alternative. RawTherapee has a similar feel to GIMP with all the knobs and adjustments exposed. RawTherapee and Gimp are very different animals from Lightroom and Photoshop even if they fill similar roles. With astro images I have found that I really like working in GIMP as I can do everything in 32bpc unlike photoshop where you are mostly stuck at 16bpc and yes it is possible to actually have an image that realistically has more than 16bpc of data when doing astro shooting like with my almost 9 hours of exposure for the Great Orion Nebula shot. Most of my editing in GIMP is with things like curves, levels, highpass filters, or minor touchups using the clone stamp tool so it isn't too different from photoshop. Also I do like the some of the GIMP plug-ins like the liquid resize (non uniform across the frame resize), and resynthizer (content aware fill like functionality).
06-25-2021, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GIMP is more of a Photoshop alternative. RawTherapee has a similar feel to GIMP with all the knobs and adjustments exposed. RawTherapee and Gimp are very different animals from Lightroom and Photoshop even if they fill similar roles. With astro images I have found that I really like working in GIMP as I can do everything in 32bpc unlike photoshop where you are mostly stuck at 16bpc and yes it is possible to actually have an image that realistically has more than 16bpc of data when doing astro shooting like with my almost 9 hours of exposure for the Great Orion Nebula shot. Most of my editing in GIMP is with things like curves, levels, highpass filters, or minor touchups using the clone stamp tool so it isn't too different from photoshop. Also I do like the some of the GIMP plug-ins like the liquid resize (non uniform across the frame resize), and resynthizer (content aware fill like functionality).
Damn! I am going to have to try Gimp again now

---------- Post added 25-06-21 at 10:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Mike
My lappy is
AMD A4-5000
RADEON HD 8330
8gb ram

Don't laugh

06-25-2021, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Damn! I am going to have to try Gimp again now
It has that same steep learning curve but there have been a lot of changes with the 2.10 branch, most notably the 32bpc support. The 2.10 branch has a layout more similar to Photoshop but still has that GIMP chunkiness. The plug-ins are add-ons that you have to install separately.

I don't know if your laptop has an SSD or not but if it doesn't I would seriously consider throwing one at it as that will provide a dramatic improvement in performance. Even my ancient laptop (about 10 or 11 years old) does fairly well and it only has a dual core AMD XP processor with some ancient nvidia laptop graphics chipset in it with 4GB of ram but it has a 500GB ssd so it isn't too painful. I also run Slackware Linux on it so I have a lean fast OS which also helps.
06-25-2021, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It has that same steep learning curve but there have been a lot of changes with the 2.10 branch, most notably the 32bpc support. The 2.10 branch has a layout more similar to Photoshop but still has that GIMP chunkiness. The plug-ins are add-ons that you have to install separately.

I don't know if your laptop has an SSD or not but if it doesn't I would seriously consider throwing one at it as that will provide a dramatic improvement in performance. Even my ancient laptop (about 10 or 11 years old) does fairly well and it only has a dual core AMD XP processor with some ancient nvidia laptop graphics chipset in it with 4GB of ram but it has a 500GB ssd so it isn't too painful. I also run Slackware Linux on it so I have a lean fast OS which also helps.
Yeah, it had a 1tb ssd that was renowned for its slowness, so I took the disc drive out, made that my D drive and put windows 10 on a far faster 500gb drive
06-25-2021, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can recommend both Rawtherapee and Darktable. Darktable is harder to pick up, but is quite powerful if you put in some time to learn it. Raw Therapee is also a powerful editor, but the interface is easier to come to grips with.

Raw Therapee can also process pixel-shift files and has what seems to be very good motion handling if there is any movement in your pixel shift capture. I use Darktable for most things since it has some photo management tools and makes bulk edits easier, and now that I've recently started playing around with pixel-shift I use Raw Therapee for that.