Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2021, 08:11 AM   #1

Pentax 67 mirror lock up? Shutter issue?? HELP

So I have a Pentax 67-- generally, it works pretty well. But just the other day I put a roll of cinestill in, shot a couple of frames, put the camera in my bag and then when I went to take another shot, the shutter advance had seized up, the mirror was locked up and wouldn't come back down until I rapped the camera on the bottom, and when it DID let me advance, it felt VERY crunchy and wouldn't let me reset the shutter......I'm confused... because I've run roughly 15 or so rolls through it since buying it and it was absolutely fine.

did I touch something weird? anyone have anything similar happen? HALP

06-26-2021, 02:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

try a fresh battery however unlikely it is run down after 15 rolls but one never knows......the mirror will hang up when a battery goes out........

maybe the contacts for the battery are a miss and the rapping re-aligned the battery

if it is not the battery good chance of debris messing up the works somewhere along the way that worked it's way there from use
06-30-2021, 07:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If your camera has the MLU function (sliding nib on left side of mirror box, viewed from the front), this should be taped over to stop it from activating when the camera is stored in a pack and transported. If it is jarred through movement, the mirror will flip up and will flatten the battery. When this occurs, a reset of the mirror is required, v.i.z., firstly install a new battery. With a wooden toothpick or pointed match (do not use anything metallic), insert it into the reset hole left front of camera (again, viewed from the front) and press once. Then press the shutter button once, and wind-on. This being the standard and effective mirror reset operation, the mirror should thus reset to its normal position. If it does not, a bigger problem exists somewhere.

DO NOT SUBJECT THE CAMERA TO BANGING OR RAPPING ANYWHERE on the assumption that will fix a problem you are not familiar with. This brutal action (I've hard of worse!) could well damage the winding mechanism.
07-02-2021, 06:29 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
If your camera has the MLU function (sliding nib on left side of mirror box, viewed from the front), this should be taped over to stop it from activating when the camera is stored in a pack and transported. If it is jarred through movement, the mirror will flip up and will flatten the battery. When this occurs, a reset of the mirror is required, v.i.z., firstly install a new battery. With a wooden toothpick or pointed match (do not use anything metallic), insert it into the reset hole left front of camera (again, viewed from the front) and press once. Then press the shutter button once, and wind-on. This being the standard and effective mirror reset operation, the mirror should thus reset to its normal position. If it does not, a bigger problem exists somewhere.

DO NOT SUBJECT THE CAMERA TO BANGING OR RAPPING ANYWHERE on the assumption that will fix a problem you are not familiar with. This brutal action (I've hard of worse!) could well damage the winding mechanism.
I tried changing the battery and also tried resetting the MLU all of which to no avail. Plus the crunchy feeling in the winding mechanism when the film is loaded is a very big indicator of some other mechanical issue going on. I was taken aback by the fact that it happened right in the middle of a roll? Which was super confusing. I hadn't had any issues with the MLU before and I almost always store it in the same way in the same bag. However, after a little bit of poking around I finally decided to contact the store I purchased it from. They mentioned that it might be worth it to get the camera CLA-ed by a technician and that should resolve the issues. So ultimately I ended up sending it out to be looked at/repaired hopefully. You're absolutely right about knocking it on something. I had used the heel of my hand to sort of and it did knock the mirror back down but after that I stopped and got really concerned about the crunchy feeling.

Hopefully the technician will give me some good news once he has a chance to look it over. Crossing my fingers! I will let yall know though! Could be helpful for other searches.