Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2021, 05:38 PM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I mentioned this lens (https://www.adorama.com/mtk85mmbkfef.html?) before. I just found a video review with images: https://youtu.be/PR0UYA_b4wk

The Rokinison / Samyang 85 f1.4 is a bit more money ($250) and has fewer aperture blades. Both are good inexpensive options that work on film and digital.
Normally, I would think this to be a good option except that the Mitakon 85/2 does not respect the aperture ring position coupler found in non-crippled camera bodies. Rather than having at least an indent to provide clearance and appropriate index for the full-manual diaphragm, it just has flat metal. This works fine with current product Pentax cameras, but not with any of the K-mount film bodies. From the second review here on PF...

QuoteQuote:
Firstly some advice that doesn't seem to be published anywhere:
The pentax-k mount on this lens has no aperture linkage, but is flat metal where the linkage and recess would normally be. I bought this for use on my LX, and found that it mounted with a lot of friction, and the camera thought that the lens was stopped down to something like f/999. This was caused by the flat lens mount grinding against the camera's aperture linkage and dragging it around as the lens is mounted....
Emphasis mine. Mitakon Creator 85mm f2 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Of course, the other matter of potential concern is that the aperture is fully manual and must be stopped down manually after focusing.

Steve

07-03-2021, 05:49 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Normally, I would think this to be a good option except that the Mitakon 85/2 does not respect the aperture ring position coupler found in non-crippled camera bodies. Rather than having at least an indent to provide clearance and appropriate index for the full-manual diaphragm, it just has flat metal. This works fine with current product Pentax cameras, but not with any of the K-mount film bodies. From the second review here on PF...

Emphasis mine. Mitakon Creator 85mm f2 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Of course, the other matter of potential concern is that the aperture is fully manual and must be stopped down manually after focusing.

Steve
Well dang. Thatís a bummer. Whoops.
07-03-2021, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Well dang. Thatís a bummer. Whoops.
There are several popular lenses that don't play well with film gear due to this exclusion, despite having aperture rings. It used to be that even the simplest mount implementation would would respect the full set of compatibility elements, but such is no longer the case. I have been thinking about writing a general article about K-mount compatibility factors and why they are important. The list is fairly short, but there are aspects that are not real obvious, but are also fairly critical. For example...what ensures that the lens is actually centered in the mount?

Steve
07-04-2021, 06:54 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
Back when the K1000 came out I seem to remember a 135mm F:2.8 being the ultimate portrait lens.
If I have the space, I love the 135 for portraits. Generally, I don't, and so use the lowly 85mm. My dream lens for portraits would be a really fast 105.

07-04-2021, 08:59 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
On a K1000, manually focusing an 85/1.4 requires care. Then again, they have proper focusing screens. Not the rubbishy things optimized for dim witted slow kit lenses that you get in a typical DSLR.
07-04-2021, 04:25 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
On a K1000, manually focusing an 85/1.4 requires care. Then again, they have proper focusing screens. Not the rubbishy things optimized for dim witted slow kit lenses that you get in a typical DSLR.
I wish my eyes had interchangeable screens
07-04-2021, 08:28 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the K1000 SE with the split image view screen. That facilitates focusing very well. I've often wished that DSLRs would put those in the cameras.

07-05-2021, 10:44 AM   #53
Pentaxian

The thing is, a split screen in a DSLR would block out the spot meter that I for one never uses.
07-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The thing is, a split screen in a DSLR would block out the spot meter that I for one never uses.
It would also likely go black with the f4-5.6 kit lenses.
07-20-2021, 03:53 AM   #55
Forum Member

I have the 77mm and it's great, but for my go to an f series 70-210 gets it every time. And it's cheaper to boot.