Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2021, 01:04 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's also the K85 soft which is very kind to us older looking folk.

07-02-2021, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

FA 77mm F1.8 if you can find the dough.

One of the most highly rated Pentax lenses that sprinkles pixie dust over every shot.

Example shot attached. I rest my case.
Attached Images

07-02-2021, 03:52 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drinkyT Quote
Good evening everyone,

I am looking for a recommendation on a portrait lens for my K1000. I just purchased a wide-angle lens the other day, I'm trying to cover all my areas of photography lens wise. I am looking for a good portrait lens (I don't know what MM I need), I've read many photographers just use a zoom lens, however, I am not sure. While I'm here a great suggestion on a zoom lens would be very helpful too! I appreciate all of your help and sorry for such a beginner question.
If you are not going into DSLR but want to stay with 35mm film:

Zoom:

- SMC Pentax A70-210 (one of the very few non AF-Zooms I kept)
- SMC Pentax M35-70 (another one I kept):

Primes (quite a bit more expensive but for a reason):
Any 80/85mm is a classical portrait-lens, not cheap but worth it:
K85/1,8 or with M42-adapter the Takumar 85/1,9 or 1,8
The M80/2 is wonderfull small and very much liked.

A 100/macro is supersharp but you see every pimple. Tricky imo.
But of course, a M100/2,8 macro is cheap to find and has its virtues.

Almost forgot, a bit longer, but one of my ever favourits:
SMC K120/2,8

Last edited by photogem; 07-02-2021 at 04:00 AM.
07-02-2021, 05:21 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

This is one of those questions where you will ask 10 different people and you will get 10 different answers and all are right.
My suggestion: M50 f1.7 My all time favorite lens. Affordable, performance, versatile, smooth, a joy to use, a beauty. In fact, any fast 50 will be a good starting point.
50 f1.4
50 f1.2
50 f2
55 f1.8
50 f4 macro
50 f2.8 macro
etc.

Since you are using manual focus, beware the AF lenses are not as smooth to operate manually. Also, some A series and AF lenses may not be the smoothest when setting aperture manually. So I would recommend any of the above in the M or K series.

Like others have said, stay at or above 50mm. I would say up to 135 but of course that will depend on many factors. The 77 and 85 are legends in their own right but far more expensive. The A70-210 is also a good performer as well. I have also heard the 35-105 f3.5 is very good but I don't have it.
Many options and fortunately most are great. One more advantage is that if you get into any of these and find it may not be for you there is a market to move them.

Thanks,

07-02-2021, 06:54 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The OP wants a lens for his K1000 and film!

Why recommend an af lens? or an expensive one?

It is clear he is beginning his Pentax journey, so no reason to jump in the deep and expensive end. JMHO.
07-02-2021, 06:55 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I don't know jack about portrait photography,

But, I watched a video once,

Peter Hurley head-shots, in it he states his favorite lens for shooting head shots is the Canon 100mm f/2.8 L Macro.

For whatever That's worth.
07-02-2021, 09:00 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax-M 100/2.8 would be my suggestion.

Also in the running might be the Tamron SP 90/2.5 Macro (52B, Adaptall-2). 90mm macro lenses have been popular for portraits for years and the Tamron is one of the best for that task, being fairly small and light. IIRC, there is one for sale on the Pentax Forums marketplace.

Added: Here is the link to the Tamron listing. I know the seller and if they say near mint, the item is near mint.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/423125-sa...-f2-5-52b.html

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-02-2021 at 09:19 AM.
07-02-2021, 09:24 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The Pentax-M 100/2.8 would be my suggestion.

Also in the running might be the Tamron SP 90/2.5 Macro (52B, Adaptall-2). 90mm macro lenses have been popular for portraits for years and the Tamron is one of the best for that task, being fairly small and light. IIRC, there is one for sale on the Pentax Forums marketplace.

Added: Here is the link to the Tamron listing. I know the seller and if they say near mint, the item is near mint.
Tamron Adaptall-2 Prime - 90mm f2.5 (52B) - PentaxForums.com

Steve
Count another heartfelt vote for the 52B.

Mine's (okay, 52EP, which is KAF mount, but same optics) given me a boatload of delicious images.
@OP although the Tamron is indeed a 1:2 macro lens, and a good one at that, I will always maintain that the 52B is a portrait lens first, a macro second.
07-02-2021, 09:59 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I will agree with those who said that it will depend on the budget...

If budget is unlimited, there's two excellent choices: the SMC-A* 85mm f/1.4 and the FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited. They are actually variations of the same optical design, and should give similar (excellent) results. The older SMC-A* 85 will be better for manual focusing and probably a better match to the K1000 body, while the newer (still in production) FA 77 will have better coatings.

If on a medium budget (around 200-300 dollars or so) there's the Rokinon or Samyang or Vivitar 85mm f/1.4 (Samyang made it but it also has been sold under these other names). It is not uncommon to find used copies for under 200 dollars.

If on a tighter budget, the SMC-M 100mm f/2.8 sells at around 100-120 dollars and is - in my humble opinion - one of the finest portrait lenses ever made. Sharp but not clinical like macro lenses at f/2.8 and very sharp stopped down, with absolutely gorgeous skin tones, hair rendering and beautiful colors.

If on a super-tight budget, you can't go wrong with any 50mm manual focus lens, though not being the ideal portrait focal length, people have been getting great results from them for ages. The Rikenon (also sold as Auto Sears) 50mm f/1.7 would be my cheap lens of choice - fantastic results with better bokeh and better people rendering than the Pentax SMC-M 50mm f/1.7, and can be had for around 20-40 dollars depending on condition. Almost a no-brainer!

I have also used the SMC-A 70-210mm f4 quite a lot for portraits a few years ago, and you can get very good results from it, but for not that much more money, I'd say the SMC-M 100mm f/2.8 is a much better option. Still, the zoom can sometimes be had for super cheap and is worth considering because it can be used for other things and could be your main telephoto lens.
07-02-2021, 10:05 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Look at the used market.
My choice would be something in the 85mm to 105mm range.
The M85/2 is quite a good lens, the K105/2.8 is also very good. I find the 77 is just a little short for my taste, but it is a very good lens, though not as good as it's reputation.
07-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The A-series 70-210mm is a great lens to start with IMO, as is the A 35-105mm.

If you want something a bit more fancy, the Samyang/Vivitar 85mm F1.4 are also solid options.
Yep. the A series 70-210 is a good portrait lens and this one is a free ship, with 180 day warranty Pentax A 70-210 f4 . Built in lens hood too.
07-02-2021, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good evening everyone,

I am looking for a recommendation on a portrait lens for my K1000. I just purchased a wide-angle lens the other day, I'm trying to cover all my areas of photography lens wise. I am looking for a good portrait lens (I don't know what MM I need), I've read many photographers just use a zoom lens, however, I am not sure. While I'm here a great suggestion on a zoom lens would be very helpful too! I appreciate all of your help and sorry for such a beginner question.

@adam
after working for a school photographing and yearbook publishing company a few years ago, I would suggest a medium zoom lens in the 70 to 135mm range, or close to that. To avoid moving the camera back and forth, the zoom allows you to crop to the best framing of the subject while keeping the camera at one position. Also keep the subject far enough from the back ground to allow it to be slightly out of focus, unless you want the background in focus. There are many varied poses and settings and lighting setups for portraiture so you may wish to do some reading about the subject before getting into it very far.

Having a lens for portraiture does not mean you must do it, that type lens may be used for many other photographic areas.
07-02-2021, 12:53 PM   #28

Original Poster
I'm getting confused...lol. I have a Canon DSLR as well, and in the future I'm going to buy lenses for that. For now, I'm starting with the basics of film photography. So from what everyone is saying 70mm-130mm should be the range I am looking for? Can I also use that for long range as well?

---------- Post added 07-02-21 at 12:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
"Portrait focal length range" for full frame is approx. 70 to 120; portraits cover a lot of territory.

For your K1000 and film, no need to spent big $$ for an auto focus top end lens.

I'd buy a 28-105 or a 35-135 film era zoom and get lots of use from it besides portraits, not to mention spending less;
or buy a classic Pentax 85mm prime- if you want to go traditional. JMHO
Is it a K mount?
07-02-2021, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm getting confused...lol. I have a Canon DSLR as well, and in the future I'm going to buy lenses for that. For now, I'm starting with the basics of film photography. So from what everyone is saying 70mm-130mm should be the range I am looking for? Can I also use that for long range as well?
For portrait work, yes, the 70 to 135 mm length lens should work very well. However, depending on how you wish to define "long range," a 135mm lens is considered a telephoto, but a shorter telephoto lens. If you are wanting to take wildlife shots, a longer lens might be preferable. Bird photographers often use much longer lenses as do wildlife photographers for more dangerous animals. The variety of lenses available for SLR and DSLR photography is as wide as the variety of subject matter a person wishes to photograph. Many of the lenses will be appropriate for more than one type of photography, so one need not have every lens available, just those that will fil the need for those particular areas or subjects to be photographed.

Regarding your last question, "Is it a K mount?" "K mount" is a term used to describe the major group of lenses for Pentax cameras. Similar mounting configurations have been denoted as "breach lock" and "bayonet mount."
07-02-2021, 01:05 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
For portrait work, yes, the 70 to 135 mm length lens should work very well. However, depending on how you wish to define "long range," a 135mm lens is considered a telephoto, but a shorter telephoto lens. If you are wanting to take wildlife shots, a longer lens might be preferable. Bird photographers often use much longer lenses as do wildlife photographers for more dangerous animals. The variety of lenses available for SLR and DSLR photography is as wide as the variety of subject matter a person wishes to photograph. Many of the lenses will be appropriate for more than one type of photography, so one need not have every lens available, just those that will fil the need for those particular areas or subjects to be photographed
Gotcha....I want want to be able to have the ability to take portrait type shots and have a little zoom. I'm not planning on doing extreme wildlife photography. Could you help filter down some lenses? Some people have posted AF lenses and I'm perfectly fine with doing it manually. I don't want to buy something that is complete junk, I'd rather spend the few extra dollars and get something respectable. I am trying to research this myself, but I surely do not have the amount of experience as others. Do you have anything in mind?