Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2021, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations on getting this bargain for an exceptional camera! There are cautionary things to be aware of in terms of expected results (as with any DSLR). Instead of jumping in with all fours to all the complexities, the first thing to learn well are the basics of photography, and how knowing this can bring results not possible from the likes of smartphones, etc. The first thing not to do is have your mode dial set on "Auto", which is the default setting for the camera, new in the box. When thus set, the camera makes all decisions, including which of the Custom Image processing categories will be selected, and does not inform you of its selection, in addition to ISO, aperture and shutter speed values, which will be revealed. This setting also will defeat most controls, and most adjustments will not be available, including the exclusive Pentax Hyper System.

So for fully automated exposure set by the camera, choose the "P" (Program) setting instead, which has none of the above deficiencies. You could keep the ISO set to Auto if you wish, but I would recommend switching to setting it yourself, to experience how this affects your other exposure settings and your outcome. (hint-on a bright, sunny day, set ISO 100 for best results, unless needing an extremely high shutter speed and smaller aperture (larger number). At least for the time being, in order to concentrate on learning to deal with exposure, lighting, composition, etc. you can just go right ahead shooting highest-quality JPEGs right out of the camera. Just be sure to go into the Custom Image menus to set up "Fine Sharpening" especially in the most often used "Bright" category. Access is via the "info" button, then the 4 buttons surrounding the"ok" button will be for navigation. When you have achieved this setting, hit "ok" and turn off the camera, which will exit the screen. Any trouble doing this, just give a shout.

The Pentax Hyper System, when the camera is set to the "P" mode where the camera will select both your shutter speed and your aperture according to its light meter reading, allows you to instantly intervene with the camera's decisions. If you decide you need a different shutter speed, or aperture, you can immediately change either with the thumb or front finger-tip control wheels, and the camera will simply obey, switching you instantly to Av or Tv mode which will remain until you either hit the green button to restore full "P" automation, or turn off the camera. This is the Pentax Hyper Program mode. This is the fastest-operating system out there for making changes on the fly.

Learning about the goals and conditions where you will need to control either shutter speed or aperture full time for what you will be dealing with, and will switch to Av or Tv mode to meet this need, is also a key aspect to master. (hint- a key factor of shutter speed is in dealing with or control of motion, while a key factor of aperture is in dealing with or control of depth-of-field [DOF] which is how much of the field behind and in front of your main subject will appear in sharp focus.) Of course, the balancing act between the two also relates to how much light comes in for your exposure, along with ISO.

The normal segmented "matrix" metering pattern is very good in dealing with a variety of lighting conditions. However, there are numerous lighting situations that can fool even the most sophisticated of light meters, and learning to recognize them right away before shooting, and how to deal with that particular situation, is a key factor in learning photography. In such circumstances it is often best to switch to the Manual mode so you decide both aperture and shutter speed, and how to do meter-reading for best results, especially how to use spot metering. When metering with your own eyes on the indicator, with spot metering you can choose where in your scene would be best to base your exposure on, and read off of that spot. It should be a mid-tone point under the lighting that will be in your composition. This will take practice, and we can help. With other makes of DSLR, the normal thing is to twirl the thumb and finger dials to set your aperture and shutter speed according to your meter reading to get the right exposure, which takes a bit of time, especially if you want to take readings from several spots. But with your Pentax camera's Hyper System, just hit the green button for instant setting of both aperture and shutter speed to get your correct reading of that spot. When your readings are done, if you wish a different shutter speed or aperture, first hit the AE-L button to freeze that exposure, then go ahead and change either and the the other will follow along to keep your exposure value. You won't have to spin both dials to compensate. The is the Pentax Hyper Manual operation. Once you have thus set up your exposure, then move your camera to your preferred composition, and keeping in the M mode, ignore further indications of the meter. Much faster than any other make out there.

When using spot metering, be sure to switch back to the normal matrix metering when you are done. Leaving in spot metering can screw up your usual shooting!

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-08-2021 at 08:07 PM.
07-09-2021, 04:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your new K-70! It sounds like you're going about your introductions the right way, and it's clear that lots of other forum members are eager to provide opinions and advice.

I just purchased a pre-owned K-5 with 5,000 shutter actuations, and I'm going through the same set-up and experimentation process with it, and the 17-70mm Sigma lens that came with it.

Just get out there, take lots of photos, and have lots of fun!
07-09-2021, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by archaeodude Quote
Congratulations on your new K-70! It sounds like you're going about your introductions the right way, and it's clear that lots of other forum members are eager to provide opinions and advice.

I just purchased a pre-owned K-5 with 5,000 shutter actuations, and I'm going through the same set-up and experimentation process with it and the 17-70mm Sigma lens that came with it.

Just get out there, take lots of photos, and have lots of fun!
Congrats on picking up the K-5. That is a great camera from everything I have read and the pics I have seen it generate. I participate in multiple forums on various hobbies/topics. I have to say this particular group has been extremely helpful and genuinely interested in helping beginners and more advanced photographers. I try to do the same when I can topic-dependent, of course.

Just the post above from Mikesbike is extremely helpful without being over technical. Actually, I understand the Hybrid System better now from the post than just reading through the ebook. I have also come across a video series by Mike Browne ( no affiliation, etc.) that's really good at promoting the basics ( Aperture, shutter, Iso, and using the meter) and easily shows though taking pictures and going back and forth changing one variable and how it affects the others and has been a great learning aid. But until you actually have the camera, it's all theory. Now that I have a camera, I can start taking pictures.

I also like being in the "underdog" group, as one member mentioned, and not going on the "main" road with Nikon, Canon, and the lot. I do that with a lot of things I buy that I am interested in.
To me, branding becomes more important the more involved you become, and I guess you just developed preferences.
Someone who has never used a DSLR camera and is handed two similar cameras different brands probably won't really note the differences for a while. The WR rating of the K-70 at the price point to me was a must-have and really seemed to be a well-put-together package. The pictures that people take on the site are quite amazing to me. I should have brought a real camera years ago.

I can say with my very short time with the camera that I like the grip ( I did read some thinks it's too big); I ordered some extra Wasabi batteries( I will keep an eye on them, swelling, etc.) I think it has a decent balance for what it is, and I'm ready to start snapping some photos. Although engineers typically don't usually do anything without a game plan, so to speak, so hence the reading and research over the past week. My head was spinning, so it will be nice to take a break and enjoy the camera this weekend.

I enjoy conversing with people who are passionate about the topic at hand, not sugar-coating things, and constructing criticism is always helpful.
Hopefully not too far off-topic.

I appreciate all the help from the forum members who have taken an interest in my journey.
Oh, and I got a little trigger happy and bought a used mint condition SMC DA 15MM prime lens. I took one pic with it last night in the kitchen, and the colors were brilliant. I think its a winner.
07-09-2021, 12:34 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by archaeodude Quote
. . . I just purchased a pre-owned K-5 with 5,000 shutter actuations, and I'm going through the same set-up and experimentation process with it, and the 17-70mm Sigma lens that came with it.. . .
have you considered the Ebook

go to the bottom of this page

PentaxForums.com PayPal Donations

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ219 Quote
. . . Oh, and I got a little trigger happy and bought a used mint condition SMC DA 15MM prime lens. I took one pic with it last night in the kitchen, and the colors were brilliant. I think its a winner.
based on the experiences of others, Moi aussi , it is very hard to stop at one " limited "

there are now 6 FA " Limited " primes, HD and SMC 31 mm, 43 mm and 77 mm, the earlier ones MIJ and later ones AVN

and there are now 8 DA " Limited " primes, HD and SMC 15 mm, 21 mm, 32 mm, 40 mm, and 70 mm

plus one HD " Limited " 20-40 mm
QuoteQuote:
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes
Introduction

At Photokina 2012, Pentax announced a brand new lens coating which they named the "HD Coating". This coating is slowly starting to replace the conventional "Super Multi Coating" (SMC) on high-end Pentax glass. According to Pentax, the new HD coating greatly reduces reflectance without making any sacrifices in terms of durability. This kind of coating isn't new to the industry, however: Pentax digital medium format lenses have been treated with a slightly less durable variant called Aero Bright coating ever since their debut, and other manufacturers have been using "nano" coatings on their premium lenses for several years.

The modern SMC coating that DA lenses have been using for about a decade now isn't the same as the SMC coating that Pentax originally launched in the 1970's. In fact, most DA lenses have been said to have a "ghostless" coating, so while we don't expect the difference between SMC and HD coating to be be a game-changer, it should certainly still be easy to observe. . . .
https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-limited-primes/introduction.html?src=lrdb

QuoteQuote:
HD vs. SMC Pentax FA Limited Lenses
Introduction
The three SMC FA Limited lenses from Pentax are still, in 2021, among the most popular in the company's lineup. They are also, however, among the oldest (the SMC FA 50mm F1.4 is one notable exception).

In Spring 2021, Pentax took action in this regard by releasing an updated version of the FA Limited series. These lenses use the same basic optical formula and ergonomics, but include two notables improvements. The first, and less contentious, is the use of Pentax's newer HD coatings instead of the (already well-regarded) SMC. The company did the same thing in 2013 with their DA Limited lenses. Our evaluation at the time was positive: the change from SMC to HD visibly improved contrast and flare handling on the APS-C sized DA Limited.

The other change is the use of rounded aperture blades instead of the previous straight ones. This has the potential to improve further the out-of-focus rendering, another aspect where the FA Limited already shined.. . .

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-vs-smc-pentax-fa-limited-primes/intr....html?src=lrdb

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-09-2021 at 12:47 PM.
07-09-2021, 06:42 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, and I got a little trigger happy and bought a used mint condition SMC DA 15MM prime lens. I took one pic with it last night in the kitchen, and the colors were brilliant. I think its a winner.
Good move. Yes, it is indeed a winner, especially when you can get one mint at a good price! A perfect complement to your DA 18-135mm DC WR lens. I have a DA 15mm Limited as well and can tell you it is a very fine extra-wide angle lens. And it is so compact and easy to carry. But of course, remember- though it is a premium lens, it does not have WR construction. A WR camera body is not actively WR unless having a WR lens on it.

You also got lucky that the DA 18-135mm DC WR lens was offered in the deal you got. It is a true wonder of versatility and quality imaging. It can even do good closeups. Just go to the SLR lens section to look at samples of images taken with this lens in the thread: "DA 18-135mm WR Show us what it can do". Go to the last page first- most recent postings, and work backwards. One thing to notice is, those images taken with more recent, upgraded camera models, in images where good subject matter and good technique were used, this lens will reflect the difference between the more recent camera models, like your K-70, and the much older less capable models- that is how good this lens is. Its AF is also very fast, quiet, and accurate.

As to carrying, my preference is to use a smaller-medium size holster type case, having both a cross-shoulder strap and belt loops. The strap prevents wobbling and the belt loops prevent swinging. This provides stability and distributes the weight best, along with handiness. But when buying, you have to look to make sure both are present. Be careful not to get one designed for mirrorless cameras, as they are more cramped and do not have this design. When I need to shoot, I just unzip the top and draw out the camera. When finished, I just slide the camera back into the case and zip it up. I don't like walking around with a camera hanging around my neck. Also, my DA 15mm Ltd lives in the front accessory pocket of the case, due to its amazingly small size for an extra-WA lens.

As to the Pentax Hyper System, I'm sure you'll truly appreciate its speed and convenience when you put it to use when going out and about, dealing with various scenes and lighting.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-10-2021 at 03:16 AM.
07-10-2021, 10:28 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to say this particular group has been extremely helpful and genuinely interested in helping beginners and more advanced photographers.
Music to Adam's ears, our webmaster.
07-10-2021, 09:04 PM   #22

Original Poster
Well I took over 250 photos today. I used the P mode and the Av,Tv,Sv, manual, not once on full auto.. A lot of under exposed over exposed some real garbage and some that I think are decent for my first outing. Very Slowly starting to see how Aperture, shutter speed and ISO work together. Mostly jpegs but will start taking rows tomorrow. I found aperture priority and shutter setting more forgiving then the other modes and tried to learn off that for what I found pleasing for certain shots and existing lighting.

I will take a look tomorrow on a large screen to really see how bad they really are but also looking forward to the ones that looked good on the small camera screen.

I had a lot of fun today taking pics. Even the crappy ones.

I like the 18-135 you can really do a lot with it. The prime as I thought needs more thought and experience to get the most out of it and,I do need to zoom with my feet.

07-11-2021, 05:43 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I took over 250 photos today. . . .

I had a lot of fun today taking pics. Even the crappy ones.. . .
you have discovered all that you need

enjoy