Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2021, 07:18 PM   #1

First DSLR Used K-70 pics and question

I posted over in the Welcome section and received a lot of nice feedback and great advice.
Ask questions and take your time was one that stuck with me. Take you time is more difficult for me, but I'm learning.

Based on the the feedback given by some I went used. I found a nice used Kit on Ebay, seller 100% feedback out of Japan and took a chance. K-70 with Pentax 18-135 listed as mint( as new).
Received it today see pics, Pentax K-70 - Google Photos and it as it appears, it really looks brand new. Everything, not a scratch anywhere, Nada. Fired it up took pic to check shutter count and just under 4k which I think is pretty good. Based on serial number it looks like maybe mid 2017. Overall very pleased . I'm am working though confirming everything works. Did take a few quick shots and I did not see any issues with dust, fog, fungus or anything like that on the camera or lens.

My questions would be should I reset the camera back to scratch so I am working on a clean slate for making any changes? I would think yes.
Anything else I should check? I have seen a few " what to check on used camera"
When is battery fulled charged? Does green light on charger go off?

Should I reset the camera then update the firmware to latest version? That would make most sense.

Looking forward to starting the journey.

07-07-2021, 07:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Update the firmware for sure. I may be mistaken, but when I updated my K70, I seem to remember the update reset the camera back to defaults.
07-07-2021, 07:52 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
check the firmware

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Firmware Update Guide
A video with step-by-step instructions on updating your firmware
By PF Staff in Tutorial Videos on Feb 8, 2014
Read more at: Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com
QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-70 Firmware v1.11 Released
Stability improvement over prior firmware
By PF Staff in Firmware Updates on Aug 31, 2017

Read more at: Pentax K-70 Firmware v1.11 Released - Firmware Updates | PentaxForums.com

and just have fun
07-07-2021, 08:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
Definitively has the original version, checked. Build date of 3-23-17. Looking more in depth on the EXIF file. Searched answer for battery and found. Taking long time to charge.
Will do firmware tomorrow.
WOW on all the settings. Need sleep.
Thanks!!

07-07-2021, 10:52 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes reset settings to default. It will help you learn the camera and what you want to change.
07-08-2021, 12:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd also reset to defaults. There might be a change you won't realise till you try things from the manual... Get a fresh start. Glad to hear your K-70 is in mint condition. Have fun.
07-08-2021, 01:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If one gets a used camera from an experienced photographer and is oneself experienced enough, it can be interesting to study the settings to find out the "why".

Although a reset is not necessary for a firmware update, the reset is better to get to know functions of the camera with the help of the manual and to learn step by step all the settings.

The long charging of the battery is normal with pentax! And healthy. Quickchargers warm up the battery which can lead to swelling. Very dangerous for the K70 and others because this can lead to jamming in the compartment and a breaking off of the fragile batteryhook.

Only use the original charger and original batteries which have a temperature sensor.

07-08-2021, 01:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
+1 for back to basics I am very excited for you I love setting up cameras with the KP, there is a "recommended settings" thread on here. There is probably one for the K70. Have a search
07-08-2021, 05:29 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats on the new camera. I use my K-70 as much as my K1 II.
07-08-2021, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congratulations on your purchase! It sounds like you got a good deal. You might consider purchasing the K-70 e-book written by one of the PentaxForum members (now deceased). It goes into a lot more depth than the Pentax manual on what the various controls and settings do.

Pentax eBook Samples - Download here! - PentaxForums.com

Enjoy your new camera!

---------- Post added 07-08-21 at 09:56 AM ----------

P.S. I have used the Wasabi Power BTR-DLI109-JWP batteries in my K-70 with no problems. They have a good reputation as a 3rd party battery supplier. I've only ever charged them with the Pentax charger, however, even though they do typically come with their own charger when you buy the two battery set.
07-08-2021, 07:15 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats on you acquisition! Always do a factory reset and update to the latest firmware.
07-08-2021, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
That book was recommended by a forum member when I first posted. The e-book is all-inclusive. Now that I have the camera and can follow along with the book I should be able to start making some headway.
I actually read through most of it once already, but until I received the camera it was all theoretical.

Hopefully, after work, if I'm not shuttling around my teenage daughters I will be able to spend some time setting the camera up, updating the firmware, and taking a few photos.
I have some accessories coming today( camera bag, spare battery, KF UV lens cover( thinking to use on the beach I know there are mixed reviews)

A lot to learn, but ready.
Cheers!
07-08-2021, 10:07 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
If one gets a used camera from an experienced photographer and is oneself experienced enough, it can be interesting to study the settings to find out the "why"

That's actually an interesting concept; the very few pics I took seem over-exposed; the AWB was set at Tungsten level from what I can remember in an Exif file I saved to get shutter count and build date.
Tungsten is usually set in low light conditions, and I guess if it were set while shooting outdoors, it would be on the overexposed side, I think, which would make some sense.

Something I will investigate for fun briefly before resetting.
07-08-2021, 02:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The white balance settings, such as Tungsten, is related to the color temperature of the light source, not the amount of light. You could have a couple of 500 watt tungsten floodlights blasting away on your subject, and they will still have a lower color temperature than skylight. Tungsten lighting will have a Kelvin temperature of about 2800-3000K. Sunlight is around 5400-6500K. Overcast skies and clear blue skies are even higher. Even though our eyes and brain auto-compensate for differing light sources, the camera's sensor does not. You have to tell the camera what light source you are working with. Having said that, the AWB (auto white balance) setting on the latest cameras is quite good at producing good images with a variety of light sources. It's up to you, but many people just leave the white balance at AWB. I wouldn't use the Tungsten setting unless I was actually using only tungsten lighting, which is becoming more and more rare in these days of LED light bulbs. Look at the light bulb package; it will often say what the color temperature is. 'Warm white' light bulbs have a lower temperature than 'cool white' bulbs.

For accessories, I would also suggest a circular polarizing filter. They can cut glare just like polarized sunglasses. Get a good quality one; the cheap ones aren't worth having IMO. I settled on Marumi DHG as a good balance between quality and cost. Others will have other opinions. You get what you pay for. If you cheap out it will harm your images.
07-08-2021, 02:19 PM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
. . . For accessories, I would also suggest a circular polarizing filter. They can cut glare just like polarized sunglasses. Get a good quality one; the cheap ones aren't worth having IMO. I settled on Marumi DHG as a good balance between quality and cost. Others will have other opinions. You get what you pay for. If you cheap out it will harm your images.
lots of good information can be found under the " articles " section of the forums

QuoteQuote:
Polarizing Filter Basics
An article explaining the photographic uses and effects of a polarizer
By bdery in Articles and Tips on Jul 14, 2014

Read more at: Polarizing Filter Basics - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com