Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2021, 03:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

SD card exposure tolerance

I know that various film emulsions were either more or less tolerant of deviations from the 'correct' exposure. Does anyone know if the same applies to SD, SDHC and SDXC cards - and if so, which ?

07-09-2021, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I know that various film emulsions were either more or less tolerant of deviations from the 'correct' exposure. Does anyone know if the same applies to SD, SDHC and SDXC cards - and if so, which ?
No relation whatsoever. It'll be the sensor in the camera that exhibits exposure limits, the card is just a recording device, storing whatever data the camera sends it.
07-09-2021, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The SD card make no difference at all, it just records whatever digital information is stored by the camera (unless it's going bad, in which case you'll probably get images that can no longer be viewed at all). The only real difference you'll see with SD cards is in the size, and the speed at which you can write images to them.

Now the image sensor inside the camera itself is more like the film, and all the difference in 'tolerance' is in the different camera models available. Camera's newer than 2010 or so are generally quite good in that regard.
07-09-2021, 03:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
No relation whatsoever. It'll be the sensor in the camera that exhibits exposure limits, the card is just a recording device, storing whatever data the camera sends it.
OK, thanks very much for this. I was just curious, that's all.

07-09-2021, 03:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
The SD card make no difference at all, it just records whatever digital information is stored by the camera (unless it's going bad, in which case you'll probably get images that can no longer be viewed at all). The only real difference you'll see with SD cards is in the size, and the speed at which you can write images to them.

Now the image sensor inside the camera itself is more like the film, and all the difference in 'tolerance' is in the different camera models available. Camera's newer than 2010 or so are generally quite good in that regard.
Again, my grateful thanks.
07-09-2021, 06:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

None whatsoever. The SD card only records 1's and 0's.
07-09-2021, 09:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you shoot in continuous mode a faster card can help.

07-10-2021, 08:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all your replies - I think we can consider my query well and truly answered now !

BTW, I tried my K3 in video mode today, using a Sandisk 128GB card, to catch the last few minutes of the TDF from TV. Worked like a dream, kept up beautifully. I now have Mark Cavendish's record-equalling stage win immortalised for ever - with several copies saved on different media !