Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2021, 05:13 AM   #1

AE metering

I have. K-70 fitted with a 18-135 kit lens. I cannot engage the the full screen AE metering. It is visible but greyed out. Does anyone know how to engage it?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad Pro  Photo 
07-10-2021, 05:31 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's a couple of different ways but with the screen you're showing here just push the button to the right of "ok." The "shutter" button that's lit by the sun in this pic. Should toggle between your three options. Then press OK.
07-10-2021, 07:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If the electrical contact between lens and camera do not work you will not be able to select multi-segment metering.
So you might need to clean the contacts on camera and lens.
07-10-2021, 09:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Depends on the lens you use. If you have a manual lens attached the camera can not use multi-segment metering, so in the menu it is greyed out. DW58 is wrong there I believe, it toggles between single or bracket exposure and use of timer the button that is highlighted.

07-10-2021, 10:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you with us.
07-10-2021, 11:08 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Depends on the lens you use. If you have a manual lens attached the camera can not use multi-segment metering, so in the menu it is greyed out. DW58 is wrong there I believe, it toggles between single or bracket exposure and use of timer the button that is highlighted.
OP using 18-135 lens. Not manual. On MY k-70 if I press info, highlight AE metering, press ok I'm at the screen he's showing. By pressing either frame shooting mode on the right or flash on the left you toggle between the three AE metering modes.
07-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

You are right about the toggling. But if multisegment metering is disabled (greyed out), then the camera sees it as a manual lens. On the camera you can see this if it shows F--. Then the lens/body contacts might need cleaning.

07-10-2021, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
You are right about the toggling. But if multisegment metering is disabled (greyed out), then the camera sees it as a manual lens. On the camera you can see this if it shows F--. Then the lens/body contacts might need cleaning.
You're absolutely right. My bad. I looked at the image OP posted but didn't SEE the image. On 2nd look there is definitely something not right.
07-10-2021, 01:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
You're absolutely right. My bad. I looked at the image OP posted but didn't SEE the image. On 2nd look there is definitely something not right.
I was confused about it, because it looks like multi-segment is active, but the text above it is not right. I thought that the center weighted and spot look like unselected. The term full screen AE metering is also a bit confusing if you think about it. But now I am nit picking. So my Pavlov reaction was: it depends on the lens used. Hope it is bad contacts. Or maybe wrong text by the right setting of multi-segment?

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 07-10-2021 at 01:24 PM. Reason: additonal information added
07-10-2021, 01:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I am seeing is the multi-segment metering is not greyed out, but looks selected, while spot and counterweighted metering look greyed out. Since the multi-segmented metering is selected, just hit ok. But the buttons to the right and left of the ok button should allow selection of which metering is desired, then hit ok. This screen is normally brought up via the info button.

The terminology used these days confuses me. "AE" traditionally means Automatic Exposure- that the camera sets exposure parameters vs Manual mode. But that has little to do with the type of metering. The 2nd knob on my KP has its AE position, so I had to find out what that means by turning to it, then being surprised when it turned out to be metering selection. I would think ME for metering would be more appropriate.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-10-2021 at 01:35 PM.
07-10-2021, 01:35 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
What I am seeing is the multi-segment metering is not greyed out, but looks selected, while spot and counterweighted metering look greyed out. Since the multi-segmented metering is selected, just hit ok. But the buttons to the right and left of the ok button should allow selection of which metering is desired, then hit ok. This screen is normally brought up via the info button.

The terminology used these days confuses me. "AE" traditionally means Automatic Exposure- that the camera sets exposure parameters vs Manual mode. But that has little to do with the type of metering. The 2nd knob on my KP has its AE position, so I had to find out what that means by turning to it, then being surprised when it turned out to be metering selection. I would think ME for metering would be more appropriate.
I think you are right, I was thinking along this line as well. But the guiding text is wrong, it should explain what the selected metering does. If the OP wants to know for sure that he uses multi-segment metering he can see this if he displays a picture with the full info about the exposure, it should display the multi-segment symbol.
07-10-2021, 02:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote

Without the Automatic Exposure the metering would not do anything for the exposure just like in manual mode.
Modes like P-, Av-, TV, Sv, and TAv- are called Automatic Exposure modes, or Semi-Automatic Exposure modes and AE metering only affect these types of modes.

So IMO the AE terminology make perfect sense.

As far as I can see the multisegment metering is grayed out in the image.
I do not have K70, but I believe the the symbol for multisegment should be green when not grayed out.
07-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if the OP doesn't have it yet, I would recommend getting the Ebook for the K 70

go to the bottom of this link:

PentaxForums.com PayPal Donations
07-10-2021, 02:29 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To begin with it's not a great image to make out just what metering mode is selected. Screen says center-weighted. But in the photo center-weighted and spot look almost the same with multi-segment the odd man out. When switching between metering modes on my K70 the space around the icon turns from gray to blue with a very thin lighter blue line around the edges. Not a largely noticeable difference with camera in hand. Obviously harder to pick up from an on screen photo. Maybe Builder will stop by and give an update.
07-10-2021, 06:19 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
As far as I can see the multisegment metering is grayed out in the image.
It looks to be framed. Just as it is on my little K-S2, when this type is selected. One of the three types is selected. I agree it should look green, but the other two should not look white either. So the other two not selected would look different than the one selected and the same as each other.

---------- Post added 07-10-21 at 06:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Without the Automatic Exposure the metering would not do anything for the exposure just like in manual mode.
Modes like P-, Av-, TV, Sv, and TAv- are called Automatic Exposure modes, or Semi-Automatic Exposure modes and AE metering only affect these types of modes.
I do not agree. In Manual mode, you still can select the same different metering types. The metering indicator used when operating in Manual mode to set your own exposure parameters, will be based on the type of metering you select, as to how you want the meter to read the scene. You are not stuck with spot metering or centerweighted just because you are reading the meter yourself and using your own judgment. So it is not confined to the various types of AE. In many of the old all-manual 35mm film SLR cameras, and even some Program and some AF models, you were stuck with centerweighted metering, not even spot metering was available. it was a step up when other types became selectable.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-10-2021 at 06:36 PM.