Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2021, 12:23 PM   #1

Pentax Super A / Super Program Shutter Problems

Hi everyone,

I have aquired a Super A (Program A) with a stucked mirror. I was able to get the mirror down with information from this forum and the classic camera repair information. I removed the bottom plate and the winding guide plate assembly and put little dops of oil on the mirror latching parts. That didnt make the mirror return, however pulling the shutter down did. After is went to I re-assembled the winding guide plate (perhaps this order caused the shutter to be out of sync).

The first problem I has was that I could keep on winding, without the mirror latching. I removed the guid plate again and put oil on the mirror latch. The problem I have now is that when I when I wind the camera the shutter gets cocked, when the winding lever returns (I guide it slowly back) the shutter gets released. While winding the mirror modes up, when winding it complete the mirror is in the up most position. When returning the lever, the shutters are released and the mirror moves down. The release of the shutter is that first the first curtain goes down, then the second curtain gets released and then the first curtain goes up again. It goes really rapid, and I guess that the speed it perhaps 1/1000th or 1/2000th. Oh yes all of this happens without any batteries in the camera.

Does anyone know which step to take next? Did i completely mess up the shutter and have to remove the mirror box? Or is there something easier to be done?

Last edited by MarkJerling; 07-11-2021 at 01:19 PM. Reason: link removed.
07-11-2021, 09:12 PM   #2

The mirror should not cycle when you wind the camera.

You can download the service manual (Super Program) from link below. Password is Pentax

Pentax Manuals
07-12-2021, 05:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I will have to check the document in more depth. So I guess that the suggestion is to remove the mirror box, and check the sequence.
07-12-2021, 11:57 AM   #4

The sequence is definitely off. Check as much of the sequence as you can without removing the mirror box first (e.g. bottom).