Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2021, 04:45 AM   #1

MZ-S not winding film after loading

Hi All,

Need some pointers here. I have gotten a MZ-S and encountered this issue where the test roll of 12 shots (bulk roll) didn't rewind back after finishing although the motor winding sounds are heard. When I changed to another roll, the camera does not take up the film with the leader in the same position and the LCD indicating the 'E'.

Is this a case where the motor or internals has busted?

Thanks!

07-14-2021, 05:16 AM   #2
scc
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you check for help in the manual?
It’s a long time since I last used my MZ-S but I remember something about an option for not rewinding at the end of a roll.

---------- Post added 07-14-21 at 02:46 PM ----------

Function [F13]:
[1]: automatic rewind at the last frame
[2]: disables the automatic rewind

---------- Post added 07-14-21 at 02:49 PM ----------

Manual is here:
https://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_mz-s.pdf

Last edited by scc; 07-14-2021 at 05:48 AM.
07-14-2021, 06:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply!

It is not the setting problem, the rewind with leader out option was turn on during the roll. The issue now is that it does not take up film at all although the motor gives a short wind after the back is closed and LCD remains at 'E'
07-14-2021, 07:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quite some time ago (~2004-5), had a similar problem with my MZ-S; made the noise, film still extended when I opened the back After reviewing all of the potentials within my scope, took it to Pentax and they diagnosed and repaired it. Although the diagnostic report was vague, it seemed there was a gear that had failed in the rewind mechanism. There was an allusion to it being a known problem and the replacement was an upgrade.

07-14-2021, 08:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by keechoon Quote
Thanks for the reply!

It is not the setting problem, the rewind with leader out option was turn on during the roll. The issue now is that it does not take up film at all although the motor gives a short wind after the back is closed and LCD remains at 'E'
Welcome to the forum!

if you are getting an "E" during film loading after you close the back cover, then it's a loading error. Check the manual to make sure you are moving the film leader to the exact position, as indicated in the manual.

Phil.
07-14-2021, 12:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Welcome to the forum!

if you are getting an "E" during film loading after you close the back cover, then it's a loading error. Check the manual to make sure you are moving the film leader to the exact position, as indicated in the manual.

Phil.
👆 i suggest this too. I got the "E" message/ on my ZX-L a couple times when I was loading film, mainly due to me not pulling out enough of the film out for the gears to fully catch it, and it still made the motor noise
07-14-2021, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #7

Same symptoms as my MZ-50. Diagnosis - gear on the mirror motor is split (common problem with the MZ/ZX series) so the motor just spins without driving whatever cycle it is in when the gear broke..

07-14-2021, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
Thanks all for the replies!

Have checked and tried many times, definitely not a film loading error. The camera has no issues with the mirror too as it is operating perfectly without film loaded.

The take up spool moves quite freely when pushed by the finger so I suspect it might be as AlwaysAl has mentioned about the gears.

Anyway I have written in to the Japanese Pentax repairer suggested by other members on this forum about this. Hopefully it is something fixable, the MZ-S is probably the tiniest auto SLR I ever held and hope to get it back working.
07-14-2021, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If they respond to you and they say it is an issue with the mirror motor gear, there is a site you can get a brass one from (here: ipernity), for cheap that can be sent to you (for hopefully cheapm I dont know how much the shipping charges will be) so that way it could hopefully lessen any repair charges.
07-14-2021, 10:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
If they respond to you and they say it is an issue with the mirror motor gear, there is a site you can get a brass one from (here: ipernity), for cheap that can be sent to you (for hopefully cheapm I dont know how much the shipping charges will be) so that way it could hopefully lessen any repair charges.
Thanks for the heads up on this!
07-29-2021, 06:30 PM - 2 Likes   #11

Original Poster
Hi All, NSB has gotten back about the MZ-S and they are able to fix it. Not much info on what is the exact issue yet and from the email correspondence, it's not gonna be cheap. Well if it restores the camera, still worth the repairs.
08-03-2021, 12:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by keechoon Quote
Hi All, NSB has gotten back about the MZ-S and they are able to fix it. Not much info on what is the exact issue yet and from the email correspondence, it's not gonna be cheap. Well if it restores the camera, still worth the repairs.
Good news, the MZ-S is worth the cost.

Phil.