Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2021, 05:59 AM   #1

camera K70 has lost power since being connected to Laptop

Hi I am a new DSLR user and recently connected my camera to my laptop to download some photos. I may have left it switched on for a while. I now have no power to my camera, when i switch it on there is no light, no display...nothing. I have changed the battery so I don't think it is that. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Pam

07-20-2021, 07:10 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in case you don't have it

here is the link to the manual

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-70.pdf
07-20-2021, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #3

Same thing happens with my K10D. The camera does not auto power off when connected to USB. Since the card can be corrupted if the power is switched off while reading or writing files auto power off is disabled.

Just remember to eject the drive (camera) from the OS and turn the camera off and disconnect when done transferirng files.
07-20-2021, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pam S Quote
Hi I am a new DSLR user and recently connected my camera to my laptop to download some photos. I may have left it switched on for a while. I now have no power to my camera, when i switch it on there is no light, no display...nothing. I have changed the battery so I don't think it is that. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Pam
First, double check there is at least some charge in the battery you've fitted. It's just possible that it's flat as well. Put it on charge, for at least an hour, or 'till the light goes out if sooner, then try again.
The camera will "play dead" if the card door is open, ensure it's properly closed.
Good luck

07-20-2021, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I find the download from the card itself more convenient, just a thought. Quick and safe.
07-20-2021, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Using a mains adapter to power the camera may be a good idea - also when updating firmware.
07-20-2021, 04:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

who has a Power Adapter?

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Using a mains adapter to power the camera may be a good idea - also when updating firmware.
I think I have one for K-x somewhere , camera still with Family , they did not want Adapter.
So , K-3lll will perhaps be good , it has USB-C charging port but I am not sure if you can / should turn the camera on while charging.
Perhaps battery grip option? oh , not an option for K-70.
Well , OP should just concentrate on a well charged good battery.

07-20-2021, 08:47 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pam, Not exactly sure but had a similar problem a while ago. Left the card in the computer reader. Somehow, the computer formatted the card to Windows and when it was inserted into the camera, nothing, The camera wouldn't power up, nothing. Couldn't retrieve the card back to camera formatting but when a blank card was inserted and formatted to the camera, everything returned to normal. Windows formatted card was scrapped.
07-20-2021, 09:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is always best to use a card reader plugged into the computer instead of the camera.
07-20-2021, 11:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote
Pam, Not exactly sure but had a similar problem a while ago. Left the card in the computer reader. Somehow, the computer formatted the card to Windows and when it was inserted into the camera, nothing, The camera wouldn't power up, nothing. Couldn't retrieve the card back to camera formatting but when a blank card was inserted and formatted to the camera, everything returned to normal. Windows formatted card was scrapped.
As suggested in other threads, using SDFormatter will overwrite Windows formatting, and the card can then be formatted in the camera.
07-21-2021, 12:41 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SD formating

Pentax creates FAT32 - that is usable on Mac / PC
I just formatted SD card in ExFAT ( on my Mac ) - not usable on Pentax
I formatted SD card in NTFS ( on Mac M1 running WIN11 ARM ) - not usable on Pentax
So , SD card must be formatted in FAT32 otherwise it is not recognised by Pentax
Obviously all Mac OS Extended formatting's will not be usable / recognised by Pentax

Now , we need to ask the question:
The max individual file size on FAT32 is 4 GB , so what is going to happen while recording video ?
Will recording stop when it reaches the saturation point of 4 GB , anybody tested this?
07-21-2021, 01:01 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All this has nothing to do with the SD-card!

It is simply the battery: The D-Li109 got completly depleted because AUTO Power off is deactivated but power is sucked when switched on.

If that far depleted, the charger won't charge it anymore.

So a new D-LI109 is most likely what is needed.

An external Powersupply (PS) as some know it from the semi-prof. cameras won't work, the K70 has no DC-Input (nor K30, KS2, KS1)
There is a strange PS with an add-on which looks like the battery. Not really useful.
An aftermarket D-LI109 for a short time to test it because it is cheap and then the real Pentax D-LI109 because it is the savest.
07-21-2021, 01:33 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yes , you are absolutely right

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
All this has nothing to do with the SD-card!

It is simply the battery: The D-Li109 got completly depleted because AUTO Power off is deactivated but power is sucked when switched on.

If that far depleted, the charger won't charge it anymore.

So a new D-LI109 is most likely what is needed.

An external Powersupply (PS) as some know it from the semi-prof. cameras won't work, the K70 has no DC-Input (nor K30, KS2, KS1)
There is a strange PS with an add-on which looks like the battery. Not really useful.
An aftermarket D-LI109 for a short time to test it because it is cheap and then the real Pentax D-LI109 because it is the savest.
I did get sidetracked , sorry
07-21-2021, 02:24 AM - 2 Likes   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
in case you don't have it

here is the link to the manual

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-70.pdf
thanks, i got it sorted - by changing to spare battery (more than once as it didn't work the first time) Might have been not fully inserted
07-21-2021, 02:24 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
It is always best to use a card reader plugged into the computer instead of the camera.
thanks for the advice,