Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2021, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've traveled with tripods in checked luggage many times. I put it in the center of the clothes, on all sides. Never had an issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
get a long pcp pipe big enough for the tripod to fit inside and place the " package " into the check luggage
The suggestion above of putting it inside a piece of PVC pipe is a good one. Cut a piece to fit your luggage with caps and I think that would be safe from anything that wouldn't destroy the bag. PVC is available in 4" possibly to small but might work or 6" which should be perfect. Note you can get DWV (sometimes called schedule 1020) or schedule 40 PVC which is much thicker and heavier. I think either would work and DWV is a lot cheaper.

---------- Post added 07-22-21 at 09:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wm_brant Quote
Welp, I then cancelled the insurance on my camera gear...
I think I would have canceled the house insurance and got a new provider................

07-22-2021, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
...there is a risk that it gets damaged or a risk that I never see my tripod again in case the luggage gets lost. What should I do?

Have your gear insured. Life is full of fruit carts that get upset, and numerous other risks.
07-22-2021, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When I carry an aluminum tripod in my checked baggage it often arrives with a note that my baggage has been searched for security purposes. There seems to be something suspicious about all those metal tubes.
07-22-2021, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
When I carry an aluminum tripod in my checked baggage it often arrives with a note that my baggage has been searched for security purposes. There seems to be something suspicious about all those metal tubes.
Over 30 years ago on my first visit to the USA I made a DIY step up transformer from components we had lying around at work, a toroidal transformer in a plastic box with a UK socket and a US plug and cable. It must have looked interesting on the X-ray machine as it was pulled out for inspection and I was questioned about its purpose. It was only inspected on one flight out of four though. It probably wouldn't be allowed on the plane now.

07-22-2021, 11:46 AM - 2 Likes   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Traveling by air with tripod gear
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Or, for example, @Kerrowdown seemed to like his Platypod.
I would never travel without... at least one of these combo set ups.

NB: You will also require an L Brackets on the cameras too.

Platypod Max reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database fitted with one of these Really Right Stuff BH-55 Pro with B2 Pro II Clamp reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
07-22-2021, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I have done and seen others to do also is:
- Fill the space in between the tripod legs with tightly rolled cloths
- Wrap around the tripod big towel, thicker jackets, etc...
- In a large bag or suitcase, put a layer of cloths and/or shoes in bottom
- Then put the wrapped tripod in the middle and fill in the sides with other cloths
- Finish with layer(s) of more cloths.

I have not had problems with this method (so far at least) and nor does any of my friends.
07-22-2021, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

My imagination or have we not discussed this B4????

I can only comment on security checks in Canada, USA, Italy, England, Middle East...
A tripod attached to a carry on camera bag or inside carry on luggage would likely be a problem and be confiscated by security or the passenger told it has to go into the checked in baggage. It would probably be considered a weapon. A disposable plastic knife, screwdriver (even a 3 inch sized one), hammer (even a miniature piano tuning one), or a golf club that screws together down to 8-10 inches would not be allowed on the plane as carry on luggage. So I put it into my checked in luggage, in the middle of the bag, covered above and below by clothing. I have also taken my full size camera bag filled with everything onto the plane (just dont let it be seen when they are weighing your luggage) and put an empty smaller bag into the checked in luggage, this way I can select what I want for the day when going out. And bottles of lens cleaner spray have to be small enough to carry on...else you will be stopped and everything hand checked.

07-23-2021, 12:46 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So many helpful comments, I apologize I can answer to all.

Using a PVC tube is a great idea, I originally thought about using cardboard tube, but yes PVC is better. Maybe remove tripod ball head (metal) parts, to reduce mechanical stress when package would be dropped on hard surface. Checking out / planning an insurance is a great idea.

Thanks all for sharing ideas and experiences.
07-23-2021, 08:39 AM   #24
Pentaxian

My aluminum Slik tripod was slightly damaged in my checked bag. I tried to surround it with clothes but didn't pack it well enough. But that's one out of dozens of trips, and the damage was just that a leg was dented such that it didn't slide as smoothly as before. It was damaged in a soft-side bag; now I use a semi-soft-side, so the bag has a little more resistance to it. I would never consider trying to bring a tripod as carry-on. One object I've had trouble with is a rocket blower, so I do carry that with me, so I can explain what it is before it goes through the x-ray machine.
07-23-2021, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
One object I've had trouble with is a rocket blower
Not surprising, rocket blowers look like grenades.
07-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Not surprising, rocket blowers look like grenades.
Quite true!

The worst models are the originals that have the fins. And uttering the word "rocket" to a TSA agent will only guarantee more trouble.

Pulling the red tip off, inverting the end of the bulb inside itself, flattening it, and wrapping it with a rubber band makes the whole thing look much less evil (and more compact).
07-23-2021, 11:01 AM   #27
Forum Member

I carry expensive fishing poles and a tripod on different trips I've taken. If you want to not worry about it get a hard case, pvc tube (as previously suggested) or an architect's tube. The latter can be cardboard, but they make aluminum tubes for plans. Hopefully you find something or a smaller tripod.
07-24-2021, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe remove tripod ball head (metal) parts, to reduce mechanical stress when package would be dropped on hard surface.
Not sure that would be needed if you use the PVC tube idea. Just cut a Styrofoam doughnut from old packing material that fits the inside of the PVC snugly. Then slit it and cut a center hole that fits your tripod column just below the ball head. That will center the ball head in the tube. Do something similar at the leg end to center the legs. I'm guessing you could throw it all around with no damage.
07-24-2021, 11:48 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just cut a Styrofoam doughnut from old packing material that fits the inside of the PVC snugly.
That's a great idea.
07-26-2021, 07:02 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A quick web search. Apparently, for air travel in EU, for free check-in luggage the total of L + W + D must not exceed 158 cm. My two regular size tripod fit into the diagonal of a 66cm hard case, but the large 37mm leg diameter tripod doesn't fit, but it should easily fit into the diagonal of a 77cm hard case, that is 77 + 29 + 52 = 158 , which just fit the max size allowed. The hard shell of the case should protect against punches, and some padding added around and between the tripod legs should protect when the case is being dropped.