Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2021, 04:43 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevbrot:
A review of the EXIF for the photos you took will provide a record of the camera internal temperatures shortly before shutdown. That said, 90F should be well tolerated, assuming the camera was not in direct sun, use of the rear LCD was limited, and breaks are given to allow things to cool down.
If this is true, I hope we get some jpgs with Exif intact to see what temps were reported internally. 90 degrees is pretty rational in my experience with both dslr and mirrorless cameras.

07-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If this is true, I hope we get some jpgs with Exif intact to see what temps were reported internally. 90 degrees is pretty rational in my experience with both dslr and mirrorless cameras.
i will post it tomorrow .
07-26-2021, 04:51 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nixxo2002 Quote
i will post it tomorrow .
Sounds good. Im skeptical that this was “normal”. I hope this gets resolved.
07-26-2021, 05:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Pretty sure the K-3 mk 3 has a spec of
"Operating Temperature 14 to 104°F / -10 to 40°C"

I can see how 90F outside can creep up to 104 internally under some conditions in a black camera that generates heat itself. I have used mine in similar heat but never use live view...not that it means much but just to add some info here.

Al

07-26-2021, 06:28 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just used my K-3III ( silver, the biggest reason I bought that color is the heat here) all day in Spring Branch, Texas with an average outside temp of 106 F, humidity 85 %. No issues, no video or live view were used thou…one battery ( that came with camera and has been charged about 6 times ) but it was down to 1/2 after 450 images…I have never come close to the 800 images per charge yet, and I really don’t care about that spec from Ricoh as I will replace a battery well before it ever runs out…and I have spare batteries and the battery grip when really needed.
07-26-2021, 06:56 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
I just used my K-3III ( silver, the biggest reason I bought that color is the heat here) all day in Spring Branch, Texas with an average outside temp of 106 F, humidity 85 %. No issues, no video or live view were used thou…one battery ( that came with camera and has been charged about 6 times ) but it was down to 1/2 after 450 images…I have never come close to the 800 images per charge yet, and I really don’t care about that spec from Ricoh as I will replace a battery well before it ever runs out…and I have spare batteries and the battery grip when really needed.
i shoot with KP (black ) in live view a few days ago 104F for a couple hours without any issues .
07-26-2021, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Pentax K3 III Overheating
Either the camera is really over-heating, in which case it's due to how it is used (nothing wrong with the camera), or the camera internal temperature sensor doesn't report proper internal temperature (manufacturing defect). Letting the camera settle at room temperature for a day (internal temperature = external temperature), switch it on, immediately take a shot, and check the internal temperature recorded in the exif file. If the read temperature recorded in exif is off the chart, it means your camera has a faulty temperature sensor, if not it means you are stressing out the camera too much relative to user expectations.

07-26-2021, 08:38 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

i shoot with KP (black ) in live view a few days ago 104F for a couple hours without any issues .
How do the performance specifications of the two cameras compare?
My understanding is that the K3iii runs circles around the KP. Logic says its going to generate more heat internally.

The point is, if you get an overheat alarm, you are running the camera in a way that is dangerous for it.

There are far to many variables for how a camera heats up for an internet forum to make anything other than educated guesses.

My educated guess is that you put your camera into an environment that cooked it.
The fact your KP didn't get cooked when you used it isn't germane to the conversation unless the conditions were identical, which they likely weren't.
07-26-2021, 09:12 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Either the camera is really over-heating, in which case it's due to how it is used (nothing wrong with the camera), or the camera internal temperature sensor doesn't report proper internal temperature (manufacturing defect). Letting the camera settle at room temperature for a day (internal temperature = external temperature), switch it on, immediately take a shot, and check the internal temperature recorded in the exif file. If the read temperature recorded in exif is off the chart, it means your camera has a faulty temperature sensor, if not it means you are stressing out the camera too much relative to user expectations.
i will check it tomorrow , thanks
07-26-2021, 10:29 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yesterday i was shooting with k3 iii for a couple hours . outside was around 90 degrees . i took around 400 shots , half of them thru live view.
i totally agree with you, but the issue was i don't shoot all of them thru live view . 50-50 , after i came back from my car , i start shooting thru view finder , and i can feel it the body start heat up .
50% of 400=200, 50-50=???

It also depends how you use LiveView.

You can take just one shot but have the camera in LV-mode for an hour.
Basically LV will heat the sensor up as much as does Video.

Also degrees don't give the full pictures. 90°F in the sun are very different than 90°F in the shadow.

If I leave my car standing in the sun at just 50°F, due to its darker colour it will heat up and can be unbearable inside.
If I leave a black car standing in the sun with 90°F it will be terribly hot inside. But the car has not been "working".
Your Pentax has been working hard in LV-mode.

So nothing really to complain.
07-26-2021, 10:36 PM   #26
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I noticed my K-3III is a 'warmer' camera compared to my K-5IIs. Must be due all those powerful processors.
07-26-2021, 11:18 PM   #27
Pentaxian

If Pentax specify an operating temperature range then the camera should work reliably in that range. It shouldn't only work if you don't use live view. Operating temperature is ambient temperature not internal temperature.

07-26-2021, 11:18 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I have had overheat when I was shooting 4K video, and temperature was around 28 C. It only occired in straight sunshine. When I switched to LV for some photos, it came up again, in same spot. I changed to OVF and snapped some photos. Heat went down, but I had to head to shadow in order to get it cooled down. Then I could take video again. I could feel the camera heating up too. But I did not want to stress the camera, so when heat warning came up, I did quite quickly stop shooting video and camera stayed responsive.

It was enough for me to get in shadow. But yes, avoid direct sunshine in hot weather if you want to use 4K for longer periods at one time. As well as using LV since you have to use it in brightest setting too and it will heat this camera up.

There is the price of slim body and no cooling system.
07-27-2021, 01:28 AM   #29
Veteran Member

That's why I got a silver one...

Seriously, a few weeks ago I used my silver K-3III during a two week trip to Sicily, where they were having exceptionally high temperatures of up to 37 degrees Celsius. It never overheated, despite carrying the camera on a strap by my side all times. My backpack was filled up entirely with lenses, leaving no space for the camera.

Note that I am a rather "considerate" photographer, meaning I think 10 times before setting up and framing a shot and then another 10 times before actually pressing the shutter release, often deciding against taking the picture in that process. I prefer not to have to cull too many images when I'm back home. OTOH, I do regularly take 5-shot Ev-bracketing or panorama sequences. My use of LV is limited to situations where I need to have absolute exact focus, which would be with my K50/1.2 or FA77/1.8 wide open or with a tilted T/S lens. In most situations, I also use the OVF indicators to keep an eye on my settings rather than the back LCD, although the touch screen has seen me use that more often now. No overheating to be noted though.
07-27-2021, 02:06 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Just a thought here but I think its worthwhile ruling out the battery.. I dont know if the op was shooting with grip but I use the set up as grip battery first and often don't even get to the battery inthe main camera. A discharging (or charging) battery can generate heat.. if its a faulty battery it can really get hot.

Hth,
AL