Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2021, 02:42 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I seriously think that it is the screen and also black camera, as well as processor. It could be that grip can give some more ’air’ inside of the camera

07-27-2021, 03:52 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Overheating electronics is common

This is a common issue. Not just with cameras.

My iPad will shut down simply if I leave it in the sun.

Years ago, when Pentax developed the K7 one of the biggest new design features over the k20 it replaced with essentially the same sensor, was the sensor cooling so it could run continuous video.

Live view is like running video

This will continually be a problem with SLRs that are designed first and foremost to be a single shot device being forced to shoot video mode with the chip continually powered.
07-27-2021, 05:33 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have a battery grip, put it to work. Lithium batteries get hot when discharging, and so if you switch to using the battery in the grip, the heat will be external to the camera body.
The more you use the camera, especially video modes like Live View, the more the sensor, FPGA, RAM and other electronics heat up.
Semiconductor devices (chips, transistors, etc) have temperature ranges, and these ranges are based on the maxmum junction temperature - how hot the actual transistor on the silicon gets without failing.
Then the designer has to de-rate the device based on how much cooling there is - either a copper or aluminum heat sink, fans, airflow, whatever there is. Cameras are hard - you've got to keep the stuff clean, so blowing air through the body isn't an option.
So they've set reasonable limits, and the warning message is telling you that you've come close to their limit - to protect your $2000 investment.
104C ambient is the limit; if the air temperature is 90F, you're almost there - a little sunlight and battery heat, and it's done.
07-27-2021, 07:13 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To offer some advice how to prevent that from happening again:

- If your camera is on a tripod in the sun, try to create some shade for it, for example with your own body to block the sun
- I've had good experience cooling an older phone down with a little handheld fan when playing demanding games in the sun. Again, if your camera is on a tripod in the sun, you could perhaps place a second tripod with a little fan directed onto the camera next to it. Just the air moving around and away from the camera will take a good amount of heat with it and cool the electronics down that way.

But I think creating shade will perhaps do more to prevent the camera from overheating. Apart from the sensor, the screen uses a lot of energy, especially when turned up all the way so you can see clearly in the sun, and generates a lot of heat. Some additional advice: Put the camera out of Live View when you don't need it, and turn off the screen when you don't need it. In combination with shading the camera from the sun, you might also be able to turn down the screen brightness a little.

07-27-2021, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nixxo2002 Quote
Yesterday i was shooting with k3 iii for a couple hours . outside was around 90 degrees . i took around 400 shots , half of them thru live view .
Not surprising and simple to avoid.

• "live view" shooting from a sensor readout/heating perspective is the same as video shooting - not a good idea at all
  • the camera is spec'd to work up until 40°C
  • the sensor in the black camera box out in sunshine inevitably gets hotter inside than outside (think of all the overheating Sonys)

• 90degF means 32°C.
  • an old K-3 II without sunshine on its black shell and with 21°C room temperature took only 48 minutes (not hours) to get +22°C hotter using video.
  • the K-3 III has a much faster sensor readout and where is more power/current there is more heat
  • likely the screen was set to max brightness which is max power consumption which is max heating in addition to the sensor heating inside

So even if you 100% were in the shades at 32°C with the camera, you were probably forcing the camera to run outside specifications after about 30 minutes.

Avoid shooting the camera like a smartphone and avoid direct sun on the camera.
07-27-2021, 10:59 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
If Pentax specify an operating temperature range then the camera should work reliably in that range. It shouldn't only work if you don't use live view. Operating temperature is ambient temperature not internal temperature.
This is too simplistic a view. A black camera left in the sun for an hour on a 100°f day will probably develop an internal temperature of upwards of 140°f. Leave the same camera in the shade on the same day and the internal temperature will change very little. And that is with the camera off.

Turn the camera on and start using liveview/ video and tge heating will be a lot more.

I wonder if the design parameter to keep the camera as thin as possible might make it a bit more prone to heating up. The heat sink on the sensor might not be as thick or able to dissipate heat as easily.
If the KP has an articulated screen, it will dissipate sensor heat a lot more easily.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 07-27-2021 at 11:06 AM.
07-27-2021, 11:13 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The heat sink on the sensor
is not very good on every camera having the sensor floating on a magnetic plate for stabilization. IBIS and video recording aren't friends.

07-27-2021, 01:47 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
i tried to find camera temperature thru Exif data , i used couple of software's , but none of them shows the temperature. Any advise ??
07-27-2021, 02:42 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

i tried to find camera temperature thru Exif data , i used couple of software's , but none of them shows the temperature. Any advise ??
ExifTool - A Viewer for Camera Exif data - ExifTool
07-27-2021, 03:03 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
thanks
07-27-2021, 03:28 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks
It seems popular with the astro guys. Internal temp is important to them because they do such long exposures.
07-27-2021, 05:31 PM   #42

It makes sense that having the live view on will cause it to heat up more than normally. This generation of heat will also cause a loss of battery life, as energy has been used to heat it up. Coupled with 90 degree heat I think this would explain the overheating.
08-03-2021, 08:01 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Yesterday i was shooting with k3 iii for a couple hours . outside was around 90 degrees . i took around 400 shots , half of them thru live view .
camera start overheating after one hour , on screen pop up the icon of overheating , and the message too. i went back to the car . turn AC on , put the new battery , wait around 30 min , and start shooting . after a hour I get the same issue . i repeat the same steps , went back to shoot , in one hour camera start overheating again .( the whole body was hot ) . IS ANY ONE HAVE EXPERIENCE THE SAME PROBLEM ???
I'll purchase your K-3iii for ...... say $1000 {more than I've ever spent on a body}
I'm not sure what your problem is, but I tend to take 6 months to shoot 400 images with my KP!
You're certainly getting your money's worth!

Last edited by reh321; 08-03-2021 at 08:10 AM.
08-03-2021, 08:17 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

i shoot with KP (black ) in live view a few days ago 104F for a couple hours without any issues .
Wouldn't the most obvious difference being shooting 4K on the K3III as compared to 1080/60i max on the KP? Shooting 4K will introduce significantly more heat than those lower res videos will.
08-03-2021, 10:15 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks
So Nixxo, what did you learn from the EXIF data?

Did you contact Ricoh for help?