Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2021, 01:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K3 III Overheating

Yesterday i was shooting with k3 iii for a couple hours . outside was around 90 degrees . i took around 400 shots , half of them thru live view .
camera start overheating after one hour , on screen pop up the icon of overheating , and the message too. i went back to the car . turn AC on , put the new battery , wait around 30 min , and start shooting . after a hour I get the same issue . i repeat the same steps , went back to shoot , in one hour camera start overheating again .( the whole body was hot ) . IS ANY ONE HAVE EXPERIENCE THE SAME PROBLEM ???

07-26-2021, 01:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nixxo2002 Quote
Yesterday i was shooting with k3 iii for a couple hours . outside was around 90 degrees . i took around 400 shots , half of them thru live view .
camera start overheating after one hour , on screen pop up the icon of overheating , and the message too. i went back to the car . turn AC on , put the new battery , wait around 30 min , and start shooting . after a hour I get the same issue . i repeat the same steps , went back to shoot , in one hour camera start overheating again .( the whole body was hot ) . IS ANY ONE HAVE EXPERIENCE THE SAME PROBLEM ???
Mine worked fine in the Arizona summer heat. Others have reported over heating also. I suspect we have our cameras set up differently or are using them differently. For instance, I have not used the video functions except for a quick test. Good luck with sorting out your issues.
07-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Mine worked fine in the Arizona summer heat. Others have reported over heating also. I suspect we have our cameras set up differently or are using them differently. For instance, I have not used the video functions except for a quick test. Good luck with sorting out your issues.
i never use video , still only
07-26-2021, 01:43 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What you describe is basically a recipe to push a digital camera to the edge of its temperature tolerance. To avoid that kind of failure...

DON'T DO THAT!

A good metric of potential for overheating might be that if it is uncomfortable for you, it will be less comfortable for the camera. A review of the EXIF for the photos you took will provide a record of the camera internal temperatures shortly before shutdown. That said, 90F should be well tolerated, assuming the camera was not in direct sun, use of the rear LCD was limited, and breaks are given to allow things to cool down. The warning after the first hour was a good indication. The second shutdown after an additional hour, the confirmation. Don't do that.

EDIT: Sorry for being prescriptive, but this is the troubleshooting forum.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-26-2021 at 01:58 PM.
07-26-2021, 01:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Video as a cause was just an example. This has been discussed before with a wide range of experiences. Equipment problems are not always universal. Just trouble shoot or return it if you think it is defective.
07-26-2021, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #6
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been using my K-3 III to shoot 4K video.
At one time, for the better part of a day, taking multiple ~3-4 min clips over and over again.
The camera heated up, a lot. But I did not receive an over heating warning of any kind.

Camera overheating is a common problem across many models and brands.
I expected to see a heat issue when doing so much 4K video, and did not see any warnings.
The K-3 III exceeded my expectations for heat tolerance in these prolonged intensive settings.

Must have been REALLY hot out, like left in the sun style.
I wouldn't recommend that.
07-26-2021, 01:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What you describe is basically a recipe to push a digital camera to the edge of its temperature tolerance. To avoid that kind of failure...

DON'T DO THAT!

A good metric of potential for overheating might be that if it is uncomfortable for you, it will be less comfortable for the camera. A review of the EXIF for the photos you took will provide a record of the camera internal temperatures shortly before shutdown. That said, 90F should be well tolerated, assuming the camera was not in direct sun, use of the rear LCD was limited, and breaks are given to allow things to cool down. The warning after the first hour was a good indication. The second shutdown after an additional hour, the confirmation. Don't do that.

Steve
i still have KP , K3 II , and never have same issues before , i shoot with them in the same condition .this is the first time . i wasn't shooting in hi burst or any action . all shots was made in single mode - close up , and half of them on tripod . and i was using on camera flash .

07-26-2021, 01:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

It was from Liveview, nothing to do with the number of photos captured, but the amount of time you just had the liveview on for constant periods, composing and just looking at it. The entire time you have Liveview ON, the sensor and processor is working, rendering a image, heating up the pixels. This is a common issue with mirrorless cameras.
07-26-2021, 01:52 PM   #9
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I converted my K-7 to infrared and attached a Hoodman device so that I could use live view all the time for viewing and focusing. I was quite shocked when I had overheating problems leaving the camera on all the time when I was using it. I had never experience overheating before. I learned to turn off live view while I hunted for the next shot. Leaving live view on for extended lengths of time may be your problem, especially in that heat.
07-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
It was from Liveview, nothing to do with the number of photos captured, but the amount of time you just had the liveview on for constant periods, composing and just looking at it. The entire time you have Liveview ON, the sensor and processor is working, rendering a image, heating up the pixels. This is a common issue with mirrorless cameras.
i totally agree with you , but the issue was i don't shoot all of them thru live view . 50-50 , after i came back from my car , i start shooting thru view finder , and i can feel it the body start heat up .
07-26-2021, 02:17 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

i totally agree with you , but the issue was i don't shoot all of them thru live view . 50-50 , after i came back from my car , i start shooting thru view finder , and i can feel it the body start heat up .
You have received some good advice, but apparently feel that your camera should not have failed under the those conditions and usage. Whether others have had a similar problem does not solve your problem. If you think your camera is defective, you might be able to work with your dealer to get a replacement, otherwise it would be a warranty issue. If you believe this problem is common to all K-3iii cameras and prevents you from using the camera as intended, you have little resource recourse beyond using a cooling device, seeking a return to the seller for credit, warranty service, or sale of the camera with disclosure to potential buyers.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-26-2021 at 03:13 PM. Reason: fixed wrong word
07-26-2021, 02:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You have received some good advice, but apparently feel that your camera should not have failed under the those conditions and usage. Whether others have had a similar problem does not solve your problem. If you think your camera is defective, you might be able to work with your dealer to get a replacement, otherwise it would be a warranty issue. If you believe this problem is common to all K-3iii cameras and prevents you from using the camera as intended, you have little resource beyond using a cooling device, seeking a return to the seller for credit, warranty service, or sale of the camera with disclosure to potential buyers.

Steve
really ??
07-26-2021, 03:14 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Black camera, 90°f presumably in the sun. The inside of the camera will probably be 30° hotter just because of that.
Then add in the heat generated by excessive use of live view and yeah, it's no surprise the poor thing went into a coma.

Live view or not, 90°f in the sun is going to warm a camera up a lot. I don't have the same camera you have, but I wouldn't expect any of my cameras to behave under the circumstances you describe.
Your camera is only rated to a maximum operating temperature of 104°f. I bet you exceeded that by a wide margin.
07-26-2021, 03:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I shoot without the live view feature on most of the time. It is a good way to avoid draining the battery and overworking the camera. When I use live view for a longer period of time, I sometimes notice that the camera (K-3 II) may be warmer than if I am not using live view, but have not had a malfunction or problem.
07-26-2021, 03:34 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I shoot without the live view feature on most of the time. It is a good way to avoid draining the battery and overworking the camera. When I use live view for a longer period of time, I sometimes notice that the camera (K-3 II) may be warmer than if I am not using live view, but have not had a malfunction or problem.
exactly , i'm not shooting in live view often too . i was surprised . never have that before . i shoot in Mojave Desert month ago , for a couple days ( not in live view ) ,and camera operate great .
it was around 125 F .