Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have two of these lenses (in different mounts, my GAS is pretty bad). My own experience with wearing glasses and manually focusing it on a DSLR can be summed up in two words : forget it.

Live view with magnification works best.

07-28-2021, 11:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh no! Don't give up, or forget it entirely. Just because it's hard, doesn't mean you shouldn't keep working at it. It's not impossible. It's a skill you can work at.

Like bowling a strike, or sinking a few free throws in a row, or hitting a target with a (choose your favorite projectile launcher here, I pick suction-cup-bow-and-arrow), or tight parallel parking, or dividing a lump of dough into five equal-weight pieces. Or a thousand other cool human tricks.

It seems almost impossible to control everything involved at first. There will have to be a little 'luck' or 'magic' involved with some of the early successes. But as you keep at it, and keep evaluating your hits AND your misses, your brain and your muscle memory will start to become a little more magical. You will get a little more lucky, a little more often. By the time you're halfway decent, you will realize that the luck and the magic are really 'skill,' after all.
And you'll still need lots more practice

Also, you will probably never get even close to %100 hit rate. That's OK.

---------------

If your DOF is so thin you can't focus well, you can stop down. Voila... built in training wheels.
Pretend it's an 85 f2.8 for a while, until you're good at focusing that. Then start going to f2.0, another level of difficulty.

Finally, I would read up on catch in focus and focus confirmation, two of the options Pentax built into your camera to help with exactly this problem. I don't rely on either of those tools myself when shooting manual focus. Some people do.
Your lens, your camera, your eyes, your touch, your shot selection, YMMV.
07-28-2021, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
If your DOF is so thin you can't focus well, you can stop down. Voila... built in training wheels.

Love it
07-28-2021, 01:09 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Calibrating the lens using the AF fine tuning only calibrates the AF acknowledgement of an in focus situation. When manually focusing with the viewfinder the diopter is what needs to be adjusted.

Calibrating the Diopter of Your Camera | B&H Explora (bhphotovideo.com)?

Wear Glasses? How to Easily Calibrate Your Camera's Diopter (industrydev.com)
Lot off not needed trouble.
It is much much more easy. Just look at the information projected in the viewfinder. If you see that sharp, you're diopter is perfectly calibrated for you're eyes.

---------- Post added 07-28-2021 at 10:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I have two of these lenses (in different mounts, my GAS is pretty bad). My own experience with wearing glasses and manually focusing it on a DSLR can be summed up in two words : forget it.

Live view with magnification works best.
I had the same experience, UNTIL i bought the K1-II. With that viewfinder i was finally able to manual focus again (couldn't do it anymore since the MX)

At my former K7 i even added an extra -2 diopter to compensate for not wearing my glasses when trying to manual focus. But i still couldn't.

07-28-2021, 01:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
Lot off not needed trouble.It is much much more easy. Just look at the information projected in the viewfinder. If you see that sharp, you're diopter is perfectly calibrated for you're eyes.
That's my understanding too. Just adjust the diopter till the black lines are focused for you, whether wearing your glasses or not (I wear specs but not a strong rx). Right?
07-28-2021, 03:12 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure anyone has mentioned this yet, but the viewfinder of a DSLR cannot resolve differences in focus for lenses faster than about F4-5.6 because that is what the kit lens is. As a result, unless you go for a split image finder, or calibrate the focus indicator to show focus when in focus, you will always have issues. I have the Sam yang 85/1.4 also and use it with a diagonal split image finder bought about 10 years ago.

To calibrate for manual lenses, you need to use the option for AF adjustment that adjusts all, since MF lenses don’t have a means to communicate what they are to the camera

However once calibrated, you still need to make sure you have adjusted the viewfinder diopter for your eyesight
07-28-2021, 04:47 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thank you all for your excellent and well considered suggestions. I will make a note of each and gradually work my way through them. In the meantime I have found 2 things do work reasonably well. Firstly, forgetting about F1.4 and thinking of the lens as an F2.8 lens. At this point focus is much more reliable and photos are much sharper. Bokeh is also quite good too. The other thing that helps is having the focus beep turned on. Annoying? Yes, most definitely.

07-28-2021, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Oh yes, I know I've replied plenty to this thread already, but one more thing I haven't seen anyone mention here:

Eyepiece O-ME53

It slips right on to your camera, and makes everything in the viewfinder a little clearer and larger. It's just the right magnification that you can still (just barely) see all the info at the bottom of the viewfinder. Mine rarely leaves my K1.
I got it for under US$50 brand new. If that's not a ton of money to you, I definitely recommend picking one up. It won't solve your problem entirely, but will help a little and I see no downside other than spending a bit more money.
07-28-2021, 08:52 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
To calibrate for manual lenses, you need to use the option for AF adjustment that adjusts all, since MF lenses don’t have a means to communicate what they are to the camera.
My impression is that some manual focus lenses do talk to the camera. Maybe Irix?
07-28-2021, 09:20 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Not sure anyone has mentioned this yet, but the viewfinder of a DSLR cannot resolve differences in focus for lenses faster than about F4-5.6 because that is what the kit lens is. As a result, unless you go for a split image finder, or calibrate the focus indicator to show focus when in focus, you will always have issues. I have the Sam yang 85/1.4 also and use it with a diagonal split image finder bought about 10 years ago.

To calibrate for manual lenses, you need to use the option for AF adjustment that adjusts all, since MF lenses don’t have a means to communicate what they are to the camera

However once calibrated, you still need to make sure you have adjusted the viewfinder diopter for your eyesight
So the follow on question to that is, where do I get a split image finder for my K1? I do recall that for my old ME Super the split image focussing was always deadly accurate
07-28-2021, 09:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Here are two relevant threads:

Commercially available option

DIY option using available Canon screen

I have used both, and had generally good experiences with both. I can elaborate if you'd like, but I'm feeling a bit like I've been long winded in this thread, so I'll only chime in any further upon request.
07-29-2021, 06:54 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peggers Quote
So the follow on question to that is, where do I get a split image finder for my K1? I do recall that for my old ME Super the split image focussing was always deadly accurate
Just be aware that:
1)calibrating the screen (via shims) may be needed.
2) metering may be impacted - particularly spot metering.
07-29-2021, 05:07 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
My eyesight is slightly varying so I have to check my diopter adjustment at the beginning of every photo session, when I plan to use manual focus lenses (focus with LV -> switch to OVF and turn diopter adjustment till the same area is in focus). After that I get more accurate focus (for wide apertures) than with the focus confirmation point in the OVF, because the focus confirmation of my K-3 is only accurate for f2.8 lenses (or slower), I don't know for what apertures the PDAF of the K-1 will be accurate though.
You should not adjust diopter using the subject of photo. Adjust the diopter so that the written info, shutter speed, stop, etc., displayed is in focus.
07-30-2021, 12:12 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davidreilly3207 Quote
You should not adjust diopter using the subject of photo. Adjust the diopter so that the written info, shutter speed, stop, etc., displayed is in focus.
Why not, I get accurate focus afterwards?
07-30-2021, 12:32 AM   #30
Veteran Member

IMHO, the only reliable way is LiveView indeed. Even with the much improved OVF in the K-3III I'm having trouble focusing some of my manual lenses, esp wide open. For most I more or less know the stopped down aperture where increased depth-of-field starts to cover for the missed focus sufficiently. Of course that means the ability to focus manually thourgh the OVF is related to the focal length. The Samyang 16/2 will be OK wide open, the Samyang 24/1.4 needs to be stopped down to at least f/2.8, on the Pentax K50/1.2 it's f/4, etc... For a 85mm lens, I imagine even f/8 might be hard pressed. I know I always use LiveView on my Samyang 135/2.