Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2021, 03:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What'm I doing Wrong? No shutter release when using autolenses (sometimes)

I normally shoot in Av mode (99% of the time). Manual mode when I'm learning/experimenting with my manual lenses.

I've noticed that on my K100D Super it often doesn't allow the shutter to function (half press, red box, beep, full press... nothing .. move, try it again, and it works). Sometimes I think it might be, because of focus, other times maybe metering? The most frustrating time was when I took a picture of a B-17 on the ramp, walked way way back to fit it wing to wing with my 28-200 wound back to 28mm to fit it all in, and it just wouldn't take the image (did I go too far and hit macro? I've never used macro, but maybe?).

Mostly happens on my auto lenses. 28-200 and 50-80 (I think), are my only automatic lenses (I like using my manual prime lenses more Helios 44M-2, 50mm, 135mm & 500mm). My manual lenses seem to let me take a picture regardless of the outcome.

Do I need to flip it to manual mode when I'm using my auto lenses to ensure I'm getting the picture when I need it taken?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
07-30-2021, 03:36 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure about the K100 but on newer models, if you have it set to focus priority the camera will not take a picture unless you have a focus lock. Check to see if you have a focus lock the next time that happens.
07-30-2021, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The most likely reason is focus. The default is the shutter won't fire unless the AF has locked on to something. The red dot is not telling you the focus is locked, it's telling you which AF point the camera will use. The focus lock indicator is a green hexagon in the status line (bottom edge of the viewfinder). The K100D autofocus system isn't great. I got used to just switching to manual focus, the slide switch on the front of the camera. That quickly disables the focus lock; the shutter will fire no matter what. I can tell you, pressing the shutter button harder does not work. You likely already use this switch with your non-auto lenses.

Later cameras have more points and better systems so the AF is more reliable. Better lenses also help, because they have sharper edges and more contrast, the detail that the AF system wants.

If you consistently have trouble with one lens at long distances, the lens might not be adjusted to focus at infinity. I had a lens like that once. Up to 100 feet, it was fine, but wouldn't lock on distant targets.
07-30-2021, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I have a K100D, but I think this is the same with the Super. There is no way to select shutter priority when the switch on the left front of the body is set to AF. However, if it's set to MF, you have shutter priority, but just no autofocus function.

07-30-2021, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just checked my k100D super. I didn’t see any options to set release priority as mentioned above. My personal experience has been that the focus on the k100d super was not terrible.

As another poster said the green hexagon is what shows focus lock. I didn’t realize that for a long time. Lol.
07-31-2021, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The most likely reason is focus. The default is the shutter won't fire unless the AF has locked on to something. The red dot is not telling you the focus is locked, it's telling you which AF point the camera will use. The focus lock indicator is a green hexagon in the status line (bottom edge of the viewfinder). The K100D autofocus system isn't great. I got used to just switching to manual focus, the slide switch on the front of the camera. That quickly disables the focus lock; the shutter will fire no matter what. I can tell you, pressing the shutter button harder does not work. You likely already use this switch with your non-auto lenses.

Later cameras have more points and better systems so the AF is more reliable. Better lenses also help, because they have sharper edges and more contrast, the detail that the AF system wants.

If you consistently have trouble with one lens at long distances, the lens might not be adjusted to focus at infinity. I had a lens like that once. Up to 100 feet, it was fine, but wouldn't lock on distant targets.
67Comet says red BOX! Not red dot. The red box tells me "not able to focus" and the green hexagon flashes. And if he moves a bit, he can get focus. With the green box and the green hexagon, although he does not tell us if he then gets a green box. It is not extraordinary that this happens. It simply means the camera can not find a point to focus on, usually happens when it is dark or when the AF can not find a point to focus on because of strong backlights and it bit dark subject. It happens to me quite a lot in a scene with that kind of contrast you see with the B-17. I do not care about it, because it is one of the things that can happen and I get it usually right with picking that part of the scene that fills a bit more in the viewfinder. If you turn to manual focusing even an unsharp focus will let you take a picture. This kind of thing happened to me a lot on the Samsung GX-10 and the later K-7. If you take the picture of the B-17 than there is a lot of light above and under it. If you are quite far from it your camera's AF has just a small strip to focus on against the bright sky/horizon and tarmac. That made it difficult. I would not worry about it, just take care that you have enough of the scene in the center of the picture to focus on. In the film days I focused with the zoom lens in tele position and after the picture was sharp zoomed back to the acquired position.
07-31-2021, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What red box? I have no clue what box you mean. I have a k100d super. It shows a red indicator at the point of focus and it has a green hexagon. Call it a dot a box etc it indicates the point of focus nothing more.

07-31-2021, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not sure about the K100 but on newer models, if you have it set to focus priority the camera will not take a picture unless you have a focus lock. Check to see if you have a focus lock the next time that happens.
This is likely the problem. I use a lot of old manual lenses and do a lot of astroshooting so I have to set this on all my cameras. On the K-3 it is in the custom settings menu under "AF .S Setting" where you can select "focus priority" or "release priority". The "release priority" will let it take a picture without focus being confirmed. I thought this might be an option on my oldest Pentax digital but I checked and on the K2000 it is not and there I can't take a picture when I don't have focus confirmation with a somewhat modern (FA or newer for sure) lens however if I put an old screw mount, K, M or A lens on it will let me take a picture without focus confirmation. In looking into the custom settings it appears that the catch in focus setting affects this and if you turn off catch in focus it will allow the release without focus confirmation on non AF lenses. This was only with my K2000 which is probably more similar to your K100. On my K-500 it has similar option to the K-3 so it is set there and I know I can take shots without focus confirmation.