Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2021, 12:03 PM   #1

Need some advice

I have a Pentax RS1000, a basic point-and-shoot, and although I've been using it for years, I'm basically a beginner with cameras. A while back, I turned the camera on one day to take a picture and it basically is awash in green tones. In all honesty, I know almost nothing...I've never dicked around with settings before, but I tried a cursory search to see if I could find something I might have accidentally changed a setting on. I can't find anything, but before I toss the camera away and replace it, I thought it was worth consulting the experts. Is there anything you can see from the test picture below that suggests a particular problem or a setting that I might have disturbed? I really appreciate your expertise and help in resolving the problem.

08-01-2021, 12:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Probably the white balance is on auto. That dark scene with a bright tv can be challenging for cameras.
08-01-2021, 12:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Artificial lighting can cause weird colours, especially fluorescent lighting. Take a picture outside in natural daylight and post it here, and that will tell whether there is anything wrong with the camera.
08-01-2021, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found this reference to a review of the camera, ca. 2010. Pentax Optio RS1000 Review | Photography Blog

"It was when attempting to do the latter that we experienced the first problem over a two-week test period with the RS1000. Trying to apply a digital filter to a pre-captured image and save a new file alongside the old, the camera froze up whilst it was attempting to do so. We tried the old failsafe of removing and re-inserting the battery to find that, whilst the camera was otherwise working normally, the LCD screen and resulting images had turned a lurid Wizard of Oz shade of green. Clearly something had gone horribly wrong in RS1000 world. A quick diagnosis from Pentax confirmed the blue colour channel had 'dropped out' leaving just the red and green working, possibly due to an internal short circuit - not something we'd previously come across in a decade of camera reviews. A second review sample was dutifully dispatched, we tried the same filter application again, and are happy to report the above issue seems like an unfortunate one-off."

(my emphasis)

- Craig

08-01-2021, 12:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kenneth7379, I agree you should try taking a photo outside to see if that one looks normal. If it's still green, then you should probably try doing a factory reset. Here's a link to a thread you started in 2018 asking how to do that:

Is there a way to return to default settings - Optio RS1000? - PentaxForums.com

If pictures taken after the reset are still green, then I would say there is something wrong with the camera.
08-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #6

Original Poster
I appreciate all the suggestions.

I looked at some information online on this model camera and it says it has automatic white balance. The same blurb of information mentions that there is a "Green mode" but there's no explanation.

Took a picture outside (posted below) and it's still green.

The info posted by c.a.m. sounds a lot like the problem I'm experiencing, so maybe the camera is pooched.

I'll try the procedure for the factory reset on the off-chance that I misadjusted something, but it seems like the camera might be gone for good.

---------- Post added 08-01-21 at 12:57 PM ----------

I just tried the reset and it didn't help, so I guess I'm looking at a replacement. I'm tempted to go looking for another camera of the same type, just because I have piles of batteries and SD cards to fit this one and I hate to throw them away and start from scratch. Are there any particular problems that the RS1000 is known for or is it normally a decent, if basic, point-and-shoot?
08-01-2021, 01:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I do believe you have experienced the same failure that C.A.M. mentioned in post #4 above.
Replacement time; there are newer models you could consider as a replacement also- The sd cards are pretty universal, and I believe the battery used is common to many point and shoot models.

08-01-2021, 02:45 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you all for your advice.
08-01-2021, 06:25 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And, you can get failures in other channels: Why are my EOS 40D pictures so red?! | Canon Forums

All we need to do is find somebody who gets only blue images amd put them all together(?)!

Actually, I sold that camera for parts on Ebay (so it's no longer available). As others have noted, I suspect that is just about your only recourse for your current camera. If you like it, get another one (again, Ebay can be amazing at filling in one's historic bents).
08-01-2021, 08:32 PM   #10

Original Poster
Yeah, that's the route I went.....Bought an identical camera used on eBay. It's the first time I've made an offer on something, but it was obviously the right thing to do - The seller accepted my offer in less than two minutes, and I ended up buying it for 30.00, It was a logical thing for me, because I have about a dozen batteries, several SD cards, three chargers and a carrying case, so an identical camera is perfect for me. I bought an identical camera there used a few years ago, but after I'd had it for too long to return it, I discovered that the flash didn't work. I'll be more diligent about checking this latest one as soon as it comes. It looks brand new, in the box, with the manuals, and all the accessories, so I'm guessing it'll be fine.
08-02-2021, 02:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote

All we need to do is find somebody who gets only blue images amd put them all together(?)!
Sir,

I do hope you are not advocating people submit so-called 'Blue Pictures' to a family-oriented site (Joke - just in case no-one got it !)