Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2021, 11:53 AM   #1
Closed Account

Asahi Pentax Auto extension tubes on a modern lens question

Is there any situation where Asahi Pentax Auto extension tubes, or using 1 of the 3 tubes, could be used with a DA or DA L lens, or is the facts that there are no aperture rings on the lens and the tubes lacking modern electrical contacts on the tubes a no go for any situation - ?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/influential-gear/asahi-pentax-auto-extension-tubes.html

08-03-2021, 12:09 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are happy with full stop-down for every shot, go ahead.

Steve
08-03-2021, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #3

In manual mode the lens will fully stop down for green button reading and exposure.

Not sure what happens in Av mode. Meters wide open but not sure if it closes down fully or stays wide openfor the exposure. Would behave the same as a K series lens set to minimum aperture.
08-03-2021, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

So that's basically a no -- need one with contacts to control the aperture.

08-03-2021, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
So that's basically a no -- need one with contacts to control the aperture.
If you plan to use them with only 1 special lens, then there is the theoretical possibility to simulate the aperture contacts of the lens by painting the conductive/non-conductive pattern on the extension tubes, but this solution isn't very practical in general
08-03-2021, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep an eye on eBay for some extension tubes by Jessops with contacts. Every now and then a set will appear. I had a saved search set to email me when they showed up. It's not often, but they do appear.
08-03-2021, 05:00 PM   #7
Closed Account

Original Poster
Thanks all. I gave everyone a thumbs up.

08-04-2021, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Keep an eye on eBay for some extension tubes by Jessops with contacts. Every now and then a set will appear. I had a saved search set to email me when they showed up. It's not often, but they do appear.
Hansa tubes also work but are rare as hens teeth.

Another option is to reverse Mount the da lens using the appropriate adapter. This already gives a larger “macro” image (perhaps not 1:1) and then add a mirrorless adapter for DA lenses, these typically have a ring that can be used to open the aperture in a stepless way and they are hollow and without glass. The adapter also acts as a small hood protecting the rear of the lens.
08-04-2021, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Is there any situation where Asahi Pentax Auto extension tubes, or using 1 of the 3 tubes, could be used with a DA or DA L lens, or is the facts that there are no aperture rings on the lens and the tubes lacking modern electrical contacts on the tubes a no go for any situation - ?

Asahi Pentax Auto Extension Tubes - Influential Photo Gear | PentaxForums.com
The lack of an aperture ring makes this a non starter for practical use.
08-04-2021, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

modify old converters

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
...or buy 2x converter with contacts and remove the glass,

there are many of them on eBay and very cheap.
I have 5 , some still with glass waiting to be converted
08-04-2021, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The lack of an aperture ring makes this a non starter for practical use.
I’ve used them reversed as described. Not complicated to do. But more complicated than my Hansa tubes or deglassed teleconverters. Beware that the deglassed teleconverters are a bit restricted in their openings and might reduce the aperture even more than the extension predicts.