Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2021, 03:54 AM   #1

K-5IIs: Best practices for charging battery?I

Hello all - I recently acquired a well cared for K-5IIs, and it’s my first Pentax DSLR that takes something other than AA batteries (have only used the AA adapter on my K-r). I’ve read here on the forum that it is best to stick with Pentax batteries, and charge them on the original Pentax charger rather than using the aftermarket fast-charging types. Very helpful info!

So now I've been wondering about the ideal time to recharge, and thought I'd pose the question here. Is it best to let the battery almost die before recharging, or can it be recharged at any time without shortening it's lifespan?

Any other battery-life related hints would also be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by bobore; 08-04-2021 at 04:58 AM.
08-04-2021, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I normally swap batteries when then icon turns yellow....

as far as charging, I leave batteries on the charger until I need one ..

I use both Pentax and Watson batteries in my DSLR's....

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 08-04-2021 at 05:55 AM.
08-04-2021, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote

as far as charging, y leave batteries on the charger until I need one ..

I use both Pentax and Watson batteries in my DSLR's....
Ditto. Except wasabi is what my third party batteries are.
08-04-2021, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I regularly run my batteries down into red, then recharge. After 8 years, no issues with any of my Pentax batteries.

08-04-2021, 06:25 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I regularly run my batteries down into red, then recharge. After 8 years, no issues with any of my Pentax batteries.
I should be clearer, I sometimes go farther than I said, but if I notice I typically swap sooner than you do for simplicity not for fear of damage.

---------- Post added 08-04-21 at 09:29 AM ----------

Lithium ion batteries don’t like being too drained for long periods of time but short term it isn’t a problem. They also don’t love being stored fully charged - but the trade off of slight capacity loss vs having charged batteries ready to go is probably worth it unless you plan to not use the camera for a long time. In long term storage near 50% capacity is best.
08-04-2021, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I remember reading here that yellow doesn't mean 50%, but something else... Ah, found it: The Pentax Battery Level Meter -- What it actually shows - PentaxForums.com

Full green: 100-50%
still green, but with a bit missing: 50-33%
yellow: 33-15%
red: <15%

I think I usually charge the battery at yellow as well if I don't need all my batteries full. But if I'm out shooting and it turns yellow, I don't change it asap.

And I think it also depends a little upon how you're using the camera at the time: I believe in Liveview it might already show yellow, while it may still be green in viewfinder mode. And if you've used the camera intensively for a while and then switch it off for some time and on again, it may show more than before turning it off as well. It's not quite an exact science
08-04-2021, 08:21 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Lithium ion batteries (LiIons) are different from other rechargeable batteries:

1. LiIons hate being dead: Running the battery all the way down is very hard on it. And the worst thing you can do is to run it to exhaustion and then leave it sitting uncharged in the camera or bag for months. If the voltage of one of the battery's cells drops below a critical threshold, permanent damage can occur.

2. LiIons like being recharged: If you really wanted to maximize the life of your battery, recharge it after each use rather than waiting for the camera to show a decline in battery level.

3. LiIons like cool temperatures: Heat is the enemy of LiIons. If you have multiple batteries, it's best to charge them and then store them in the refrigerator (not the freezer). Just remember to take them out of the fridge a few hours before use so they can return to room temperature.

4. LiIons should stay svelte: If your battery shows signs of swelling, it may be time to replace it.

5. Watch out for cranky LiIons: If you are using an older battery and your camera glitches (fails to take a shot, stutters, locks up, does not save the image) or the battery level indicator fluctuates wildly, it may be time to replace the battery. But before doing that, cleaning the battery contacts with a pencil eraser might fix things.

The topic of chargers is a tricky one. A high-quality fast charger might be fine but a low-quality one might be bad. One subtle issue with LiIons is that the final charge voltage determines the total number of shots per charge and also the total lifetime of charge-discharge cycles. Charging to a higher voltage (4.3 V/cell) means getting about 15% more shots per charge (good!) but it also means losing up to 50% of lifetime cycles per battery (bad!). Similarly, charging to a lower voltage (4.1 V/cell) might mean given up 10-15% shots per charge but extending the total life of the battery by a factor of 2.

For more information read BU-808: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

08-04-2021, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Charging to a higher voltage (4.3 V/cell) means getting about 15% more shots per charge (good!) but it also means losing up to 50% of lifetime cycles per battery (bad!). Similarly, charging to a lower voltage (4.1 V/cell) might mean given up 10-15% shots per charge but extending the total life of the battery by a factor of 2.
My experience in measuring charge/discharge (Battery Capacity / Discharge Measurements - Pentax & Canon OEM versus Generic - PentaxForums.com) shows that a freshly/fully-charged D-LI90 just removed from a Pentax charger measures about 8.3 - 8.4 V, or just about smack in the middle of your range. I guess we give up a few shots for considerably longer battery like - I can live with that!!
08-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobore Quote
Hello all - I recently acquired a well cared for K-5IIs, and it’s my first Pentax DSLR that takes something other than AA batteries (have only used the AA adapter on my K-r). I’ve read here on the forum that it is best to stick with Pentax batteries, and charge them on the original Pentax charger rather than using the aftermarket fast-charging types. Very helpful info!

So now I've been wondering about the ideal time to recharge, and thought I'd pose the question here. Is it best to let the battery almost die before recharging, or can it be recharged at any time without shortening it's lifespan?

Any other battery-life related hints would also be greatly appreciated!
Use the battery until it is showing one stripe on the camera's battery readout and then charge it.
Don't leave them discharged for long periods of time.

Don't overthink this stuff.

If you take really good care of your battery it should last 5 to 10 years, perhaps longer. If you don't take good care of your battery, it should last 5 to 10 years, perhaps longer.
My Pentax branded batteries last much longer than the knock off ones I have purchased. For the price difference in my locale, the Pentax branded batteries aren't enough more expensive to bother with off brand ones any more.
08-04-2021, 10:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you take really good care of your battery it should last 5 to 10 years, perhaps longer. If you don't take good care of your battery, it should last 5 to 10 years, perhaps longer.
My Pentax branded batteries last much longer than the knock off ones I have purchased. For the price difference in my locale, the Pentax branded batteries aren't enough more expensive to bother with off brand ones any more.
Just to add an anecdote on this I have two Pentax D-LI90s that came with used cameras I bought and they are both 10 years old according to what I believe is the date of manufacture printed on them. I found time between recharges acceptable using them with my K5IIs (slightly better than the two Wasabi batteries I bought), but when i got the the K-1 I was disappointed at having to recharge every day or two even on days I wasn't constantly fiddling with it. I bought a new Pentax branded one (marked 2021) and I get significantly longer life than the 10 year old and newish Wasabi batteries in the K-1.

The Wasabis were like $8 each when I got them though, compared to almost $50 for the Pentax branded one. I feel like the Pentax one was worth the money, and the Wasabi just stay in the bag as extra backups.
08-04-2021, 11:36 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
Just to add an anecdote on this I have two Pentax D-LI90s that came with used cameras I bought and they are both 10 years old according to what I believe is the date of manufacture printed on them. I found time between recharges acceptable using them with my K5IIs (slightly better than the two Wasabi batteries I bought), but when i got the the K-1 I was disappointed at having to recharge every day or two even on days I wasn't constantly fiddling with it. I bought a new Pentax branded one (marked 2021) and I get significantly longer life than the 10 year old and newish Wasabi batteries in the K-1.

The Wasabis were like $8 each when I got them though, compared to almost $50 for the Pentax branded one. I feel like the Pentax one was worth the money, and the Wasabi just stay in the bag as extra backups.
Where I am, the genuine Pentax battery is Can$60.00, the knock off is Can$35.00. The knock offs don't perform as well, maybe 75% of the OEM, and some of my Pentax batteries are still going strong after 10 years, the knock offs seem to have about a 5 year life.
08-04-2021, 01:21 PM   #12

Original Poster
Great info - Thanks for sharing!
08-04-2021, 02:59 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I use exclusively Pentax batteries in the Pentax charger that came with my camera. I fully charge my batteries after each outing, no matter how long I have used the battery(s). I have never had a problem with my Pentax batteries. I tried off brand generic batteries when I first got my K-20D years ago, but they did not hold a charge.

If I have not shot for a long time, I may also charge the Pentax batteries I am using right before the day I shoot.

I also have a K-5IIs, and the steps I have mentioned have always worked well with it.
08-05-2021, 02:35 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-5´s battery life is almost too good, mine rarely looses one stripe of the meter when i recharge it. Been that way for years and still like new. My K-70´s battery is on heavier use, being smaller it gets on lower charge and needs to sit on charger more often.

As said many times above, it´s not good to run them too low and leaving depleted battery on the shelf might kill it for good.

From my experience with Li-Ion batteries i would say that keeping them topped up more often, even when they are well above 50% discharge is better than letting them go low all the time (sometimes going low, even to the point when the device cut´s off isn´t dangerous, with phones it is OK once in a while so the battery meter gets calibrated).

This practice has kept my every day used 18650 cells, tool batteries and the batteries of my phones and cameras alive for years. They like to be used!
08-05-2021, 11:53 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most of the time I see battery depleted on my LCD before I swap. No problems with the OEM D-Li90, Wasabi or PowerExtra so far. Or the K-5, K-3 & K-3ii.

I recharge the depleted one as soon as I swap using either the OEM or Wasabi charger.