Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2021, 06:38 AM   #1

Questions regarding Pentax-D FA 100mm f2.8 macro

One of my friends recommended this lens to me when I ask for a 100mm macro lens produced by Pentax for best value of money, and for my self, I am using a Sony full frame camera (A7R2) and I was wondering is it possible for me to use that Pentax-D FA 100mm f2.8 macro (non-water resist)on it with adapter ring without electrical contacts?

Or by another phrasing……am I able to use the manual focus without attached it onto any camera?(Do I need power when trying to focus manually with the focus ring?)

And can its optical quality meet the requirements of a 42-megapixel CMOS while doing film digitizing?

Last edited by katyusha; 08-04-2021 at 06:54 AM.
08-04-2021, 07:09 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by katyusha Quote
One of my friends recommended this lens to me when I ask for a 100mm macro lens produced by Pentax for best value of money, and for my self, I am using a Sony full frame camera (A7R2) and I was wondering is it possible for me to use that Pentax-D FA 100mm f2.8 macro (non-water resist)on it with adapter ring without electrical contacts?

Or by another phrasing……am I able to use the manual focus without attached it onto any camera?(Do I need power when trying to focus manually with the focus ring?)

And can its optical quality meet the requirements of a 42-megapixel CMOS while doing film digitizing?
Judge quality for yourself:
It ain’t easy being cheesy by -vanya_42nd-

That’s my old A7rII with my DFA 100WR manually focused. I used a “DA” style adapter that allows me to control aperture in a crude way (one adapter I have is continuously variable without click stops, The other has discreet click stops but isn’t calibrated and the stops vary on different lenses. In practice Both work fine but the click stop one is easier to replicate a specific setting with.)

Click the image for greater resolution.

EDIT: if you are asking about the non-WR version the options are supposedly the same and the aperture ring will make it easier to use. The focus is mechanical as is the aperture. The upcoming Monster La-ke adapter will offer autofocus on your camera but the adapter isn’t cheap and hasn’t shipped yet.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 08-04-2021 at 08:14 AM.
08-04-2021, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

great lens - it has an aperture ring, correct?
08-04-2021, 07:14 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes
QuoteQuote:
Yes to the first question, no to the second.
QuoteQuote:
Yes.

08-04-2021, 07:17 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
08-04-2021, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, the lens is very sharp stopped down. I have the WR version and scan with a 36mp K1ii. The main challenge isn't lens sharpness but aligning the film with the plane of focus, at 1:1 reproduction depth of field is minuscule. I use a tripod and a light table, probably would be quicker and more accurate with a slide scanning attachment to guarantee the film is parallel to the sensor.
08-04-2021, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In this use case, are there benefits of using a 100mm macro over a 50mm macro?

08-04-2021, 07:49 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
In this use case, are there benefits of using a 100mm macro over a 50mm macro?
Working distance if you're using a tripod, I can't find a way to use my 50 macro because there's no room under the tripod for the light pad
08-04-2021, 08:11 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
It depends on which version. The non-WR version has a ring, the WR version does not. I missed that the op specified that version.
08-04-2021, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When there are F, FA, and D-FA versions of this lens that have an aperture ring, I would not bother with the WR version when adapting.

Pentax doesn't seem to have ever sold a bad *prime* lens that they labeled as a macro. Zooms are something else and not really part of this statement.

There's a whole lot of k-mount primes on the used market that may be of interest, from 90 to 105mm. Again, I would get one with an aperture ring if the goal is adapting it to another mount like your Sony's.
08-04-2021, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

good article to review

QuoteQuote:
The Advantages of a Dedicated Macro Lens
Achieving lift-size magnification
By PF Staff in Tutorial Videos on Apr 4, 2016

Read more at: The Advantages of a Dedicated Macro Lens - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review
Specifications
The lens covers the full 24x36mm format, not just APS-C. The aperture blades are rounded, delivering a smoother bokeh which is important for a macro lens. However, unlike its predecessor, it has no aperture ring.

The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades.
Read more at: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-04-2021 at 09:02 AM.
08-04-2021, 09:12 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

[
Should the question not be: can the 42-megapixel CMOS of your Sony camera meet the optical quality of the D FA 100mm f2.8 Macro?
08-04-2021, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a very good lens, my only complaint is that is is awful for astrophotography but there I just wanted to see how it did as I have other very good astro lenses. Also one doesn't generally buy a macro lens with the intent of doing astrophotography.
08-04-2021, 10:47 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
It is a very good lens, my only complaint is that is is awful for astrophotography but there I just wanted to see how it did as I have other very good astro lenses. Also one doesn't generally buy a macro lens with the intent of doing astrophotography.
What specifically failed? Coma? Astigmatism?
08-04-2021, 11:23 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What specifically failed? Coma? Astigmatism?
Massive amounts of purple fringing that doesn't really go away until one gets to about f/8. It really doesn't do well with very bright point light sources against a very dark background. I have some sample photos showing how it performs for astro and my detailed thoughts here. So my advise it don't use it for astro and love it for everything else it is a great lens. By careful focusing I mean using a bahtinov mask to achieve a proper infinity focus.