Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2021, 01:18 PM   #1

Pentax kp being repaired - which camera to rent

My Pentax KP started taking weird brownish/monochrome photos after we hit a bump while driving and it hit my knee. I purchased insurance on the camera and lens at time of purchase from B&H. I sent it in to the squaretrade repair center for repair, and they said it has to go to Pentax for repair.

Since this will likely take more than a month, they are offering to reimburse me up to $500 for a camera/lens rental. We are going to Yellowstone in 37 days, so I will rent a camera to take with me.

I am looking at lensrentals dot com. They have either a Pentax K-1 Mark II or a Pentax K-3 Mark III. Which one should I rent? There is only a $10 diffrence/7 days in price. I am thinking the Mark III since it is also a crop frame like the KP?

I will rent a 18-135 (I sent that lens in with the camera). I also have these 2 lenses:

Pentax HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens
SMC Pentax-DA 12-24mm

Any other lenses I should consider renting for the trip?

TIA for help.

Jennifer

08-04-2021, 01:38 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Having been to Yellowstone with a camera a few years back, I would rent the K3-3 and 150-450, and 1.4 teleconverter, or the DA *300 and TC. Yellowstone is full of wildlife. There are also landscapes, but your two existing zooms will handle that fine, I would skip the 18-135, because you will be wanting longer or wider most of the time.

If you can afford to rent both cameras and keep the longest lens on the K3-3, and use the K-1 for landscapes, and don’t forget a tripod, you will want to be out from sunrise to sunset.

Have fun, I’m envious
08-04-2021, 01:52 PM   #3

Original Poster
I didn't think about renting 2 cameras...that's a good idea.
08-04-2021, 01:57 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LensRentals, based on my past experience, are " good folks " to deal with

be sure to get the top protection program they offer

I suggest that you call and talk with them

I had them ship equipment to a Fed Ex near YNP so I didn't have to deal with hauling it on a plane

I then sent it back the same way

on the other hand, they have shipped equipment early to make sure it reaches me on time and thus I have time to practice with it

I agree with getting the D FA 150-450mm and if only getting one camera the K 3 III

wildlife in YNP can be right next to you or " in the next county " so as much reach as you can get is helpful

the HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter will work fine with it, but you may find it shaky if you use it without support

in Yellowstone, I use two cameras, one with a lens suitable for wildlife close up and one for long range

my wife and I will be in YNP and GTNP in mid September

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-04-2021 at 02:07 PM.
08-04-2021, 02:01 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roxiemyhorse Quote
r a Pentax K-3 Mark III.
Given the lenses you have, this is a no-brainer.

---------- Post added 08-04-21 at 02:07 PM ----------

I didn't think about renting 2 cameras...that's a good idea.
Then you can rent it AND the K-1 II. But you'd need suitable lens or lenses rental as well. The HD FA 31mm f/1.8 would be a fine lens for both general use and for wide angle but not too wide in getting fine landscape type shots with the K-1 II in both good light and low light conditions.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-04-2021 at 02:08 PM.
08-04-2021, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Hello Jennifer, what about just renting the K-3 III, the 1.4x converter and a 16-85mm? Take your 55-300 with you as well and I think you have a light travel combination touching all the bases from wide to tele. Why lugging two camera's with you? It would also mean a double set of lenses and if you did not have the KP repaired you would have taken only your KP So why now take two? And rental costs get higher and higher if you also rent the K-1 with FF lens or lenses.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 08-04-2021 at 03:02 PM. Reason: unquoting the quote
08-04-2021, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Proficiency and a full understanding of one or lenses and one camera body will get you more keeper images than any amount of gear.

As always, the question I ask is, "What type of photographer are you?" If you are traveling solo or with a very understanding crew who will indulge you as you stop at every new vista or animal, change lenses, get different angles, come back when the light is just right, rent both cameras and enjoy.

If you plan on hiking more than anything else, take the K-3iii and the DA 18-125, and I doubt you'll wish for another combo while you walk.

If your plan leans more towards driving, or sitting at a campsite and relaxing, you could take two cameras, but I think you'd be better off with one that you can take time to learn and more fully utilize for the cost of the rental, rather than pay to rent two, only use each of them 50% of your time, and never truly use to the full extent of their capabilities.

I like to travel light, and I like to hike, so I usually use one camera and one lens for the day, but I keep a high quality prime in my bag against necessity.

I also agree with arranging to have the rental gear show up near YNP. Less to pack and worry about.

08-04-2021, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

One concern about having equipment shipped to a location is that you won't have a chance to verify that it works. The 60-250 I rented needed a considerable amount of effort and time to wake up the SDM. It really didn't want to work.
08-04-2021, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

it is possible to get bad gear - any thing is possible

yet that is not my experience over the years with LensRental.com

again I would direct the OP to this page

Lensrentals Support

and urge the OP to call them directly if they have further questions

QuoteQuote:
The office and phones are staffed Monday through Friday, 9:15-5:00 CDT. Email and IM are available after-hours and on weekends.

Phone
(901) 754-9100

Email
The best way to reach us, especially after hours.

support@lensrentals.com
Lensrentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more

BTW, my only connection to LensRentals.com is that of a satisfied repeat customer

the OP might want to review this article to see how their DA lenses work with the full frame sensor of the K 1 II

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/gear-guides/full-frame-coverage-of-da-lenses.html
08-04-2021, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #10

I would rent both bodies if it fits it the budget. Give you a chance to try out FF.
08-04-2021, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
robgski makes a good point and you don't want to take up your entire trip time trying to learn the features of two cameras if you don't have the prep time to do so. If you have to hit the ground running, I would recommend one camera with features close to those you're familiar with. It would be nice to be able to try out two new cameras, but doing it on a feature event might not be the best time. Just a thought and maybe you do have the time to play around with equipment before you leave on your trip. If that's true, two cameras are nice.
08-04-2021, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am thinking the Mark III since it is also a crop frame like the KP?

I will rent a 18-135 (I sent that lens in with the camera). I also have these 2 lenses:

Pentax HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens
SMC Pentax-DA 12-24mm

Any other lenses I should consider renting for the trip?
With your lenses, The k3iii. But more importantly…

What type of photography do you enjoy? Landscape? Wildlife? Macro? People?

Is this a trip you feel you’ll be able to repeat?

Do you feel like you’ll have the time to spend on a lot of lens changes? Do you expect to do any Astrophotography?

Here’s my 2 cents worth:

Minimal expense kit:
K3iii
1.4x teleconverter (use on 55-300 in good lighting)
18-135 or 16-85
(Existing 12-24 / 55-300)

Stretch options:
Add 12mm Laowa (only for Astro)
Add 150-450 (only if you really want wildlife shots that stand out. Teleconverter is optional with this added lens. 55-300 stays home, 12-24 comes along)
Add 2nd body (k3iii) to ensure you have two lenses ready if that style appeals.
08-05-2021, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is a thought

Plan on enjoying the experience first

Use your senses

Store the memories

Then worry about photography

Design your gear around what you want to photograph

Smoke might interfer with landscape vistas elk may be in rut and you may see challenges

Do [ dirty word alert ] Research and learn as much as you can about Flora, Fauna and other aspects of the parks as you can before you go

Above All. Have Fun

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-05-2021 at 06:45 AM.
08-05-2021, 08:01 AM - 2 Likes   #14

Original Poster
Thank you very much for all of the suggestions!

Here is what I am leaning towards...since I don't want to have too many new things all at once and I don't want to miss the experience of visiting YNP and GTNP:

Rent:

K3 Mark iii
18-135mm
1.4 HD Pentax -DA AF rear converter AW
Pentax 80ED spotting scope - for husband, he will think that is cool

Bring 55-300mm and 12-24mm as well.

Have rental delivered to house a few days before we leave and drop off rental at Fedex store in Jackson Hole (looks like there is one a few blocks from our hotel).

I will mostly be interested in photographing wildlife and landscapes.

No big hiking really, husband is getting over plantar fasciitis.

Still plan on calling the lens rental place to chat.

Thx!!
08-05-2021, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Here is what I am leaning towards...since I don't want to have too many new things all at once and I don't want to miss the experience of visiting YNP and GTNP: . . .
Looks like a good plan to me