Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2021, 01:13 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
getting unwanted results from back menu buttons

I keep getting unwanted changes of postprocessing or white balance settings or ... with my K3 II.

I keep hitting the up/down or left/right arrow menu buttons (the four way contoller).
Sometimes it changes postprocessing (digital filter) like getting monochrome black-and-white images ( can be nice but not when you expect colour pictures) or high contrast (believe me, not what you want in bright daylight in the summer on a hot, sunny day in Athens in Greece, it's just looks overexposed).
Or it changed the white balance to artificial light and got blue pictures...of yellow flowers or bees (below).

The odd thing : I seem to do this unnoticed in a fraction of a second, "effortless". It might happen during shooting , or after putting down the camera and start again. Just don't know when or how. I carry the camera at the grip, so bit strange to change these buttons on the back side...
It might ruin a few pictures before I notice - I do not check every picture on the backpanel.

First time it drove me crazy, now I know where to look to change back the settings,
but I always wonder how many keys/menus I need to undo my unwillingly changes , just don’t know how’I did ruin it in a fraction of a second s ’easily.

Is it just me ?
How to avoid? Lock my settings?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by mlag; 08-06-2021 at 02:24 PM.
08-06-2021, 02:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
Is it just me ?
Nope I do it too

How to avoid? Lock my settings?
I fond that by having a sling where the camera basically points down more or less solved this for me as it way my stomach hitting buttons while walking.
08-06-2021, 02:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I suffered extensively from these symptoms when I first got my K-70, not having had a problem with my K-5 … resorted to re-configuring the 4-way controller settings, but, having browsed the manual, this doesn't seem to be an option on the K-3ii … not sure what else to suggest
If you're accidently bumping the camera whilst walking etc., setting the Power Save delay to a minimal setting, so it powers down fairly promptly, may help minimize the occurrence. If you save your images as RAW+JPG at least you'll have the RAW to fall back on for re-processing if necessary, they can always be deleted afterwards once you're sure you don't need them.
One feature that may help to a degree might be to set up a User Mode with your preferred settings stored, then in the event of accidently changing stuff, things can be reset by power cycling the camera (switching it off and on again). Doesn't prevent you from making the mistake or potentially losing the shot, unfortunately, but at least you don't have to try and figure out what has changed!
I use User Modes quite extensively these days … had I "discovered" them (and TAv) when I first bought my K-5 I'd have probably made a lot more use of it!
Good luck

Last edited by kypfer; 08-06-2021 at 02:30 PM. Reason: afterthoughts
08-06-2021, 02:36 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I use User Modes quite extensively these days … had I "discovered" them (and TAv) when I first bought my K-5 I'd have probably made a lot more use of it!
Good luck
I already use 2 of 3 available user modes for manual shooting : one for green button style (pentax-k and -m lenses) and other one for mirror lenses (also manual but as they have only one fixed aperture I prefer automatic wide open light exposure modus). So I have one left , it's a viable idea.

08-06-2021, 02:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I already use 2 of 3 available user modes for manual shooting : one for green button style (pentax-k and -m lenses) and other one for mirror lenses (also manual but as they have only one fixed aperture I prefer automatic wide open light exposure modus). So I have one left , it's a viable idea.

Even more afterthoughts !

If you load the image into Pentax's Digital Camera Utility software you should be able to see which unintentional camera settings were used when the image was saved, then, if you're lucky, you'll be able to easily re-adjust the image to compensate. The latest version of the program, available as an update from the Ricoh web-site, Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING is a significant improvement over the earlier versions and very much easier to use
08-06-2021, 02:51 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

On models newer than the K-3 you can press and hold OK to lock the 4-way controller. I'm not sure if this is also supported on the K-3, but if it isn't, one hack is to use SEL mode for AF. This will instead make the buttons change the AF points so that your settings don't get messed up. It's also much easier to notice when the AF point moves.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-06-2021, 03:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
On models newer than the K-3 you can press and hold OK to lock the 4-way controller. I'm not sure if this is also supported on the K-3, but if it isn't, one hack is to use SEL mode for AF. This will instead make the buttons change the AF points so that your settings don't get messed up. It's also much easier to notice when the AF point moves.
Once locked (by pressing OK) how do you unlock it?

08-06-2021, 04:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I tried pushing OK, on K3-II and K-1, no change no locking; Is there another button to push at the same time?
08-06-2021, 05:49 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
I tried pushing OK, on K3-II and K-1, no change no locking; Is there another button to push at the same time?
Ah, on the K-1 you need to use the AF point selection button. There's also a custom function to be set (C20):

Pentax K-1 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-11-2021, 04:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Even more afterthoughts !

If you load the image into Pentax's Digital Camera Utility software you should be able to see which unintentional camera settings were used when the image was saved, then, if you're lucky, you'll be able to easily re-adjust the image to compensate. The latest version of the program, available as an update from the Ricoh web-site, Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING is a significant improvement over the earlier versions and very much easier to use
I guess this works only with raw. I often use jpeg mode....
09-12-2021, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I guess this works only with raw. I often use jpeg mode....
I work almost exclusively in JPEG … DCU will do it's very best to analyse what the camera has done and try to compensate for it as best it can if necessary.
Obviously there's not as much leeway as with RAW, but it can do a good job!
See PENTAX?????? | PENTAX official=こっしぃ and ???????RAW??????????Digital Camera Utility 5 ?1??????? | PENTAX official (you'll probably need a translator) and also check out some of the links at the bottom of those pages.
By "knowing" what the camera did to the image in the first place (from the camera settings in the EXIF) and some clever interpolation, DCU can effectively "re-create" a RAW from a JPEG and give you a new starting point.
Doubtless those proficient with other software solutions can produce similar results, but DCU works for me
Good luck!
10-15-2021, 02:59 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thx

I work almost exclusively in JPEG … DCU will do it's very best to analyse what the camera has done and try to compensate for it as best it can if necessary.
Obviously there's not as much leeway as with RAW, but it can do a good job!
See PENTAX?????? | PENTAX official=こっしぃ and ???????RAW??????????Digital Camera Utility 5 ?1??????? | PENTAX official (you'll probably need a translator) and also check out some of the links at the bottom of those pages.
By "knowing" what the camera did to the image in the first place (from the camera settings in the EXIF) and some clever interpolation, DCU can effectively "re-create" a RAW from a JPEG and give you a new starting point.
Doubtless those proficient with other software solutions can produce similar results, but DCU works for me
Good luck!
I am getting better with the program, there are still some oddities to learn, but it seems to work now with Jpeg's also . My first installation and upgrade had some 'defects', like it kept re-reading the file structure (i had to start over all the time - it went back to the root directory every 30 seconds or so - to find and stay in a specific directory). It also seemed to refuse jpeg's for editing. Finally , i gave up and re-installed and it seems to work better now. The Blue Bee picture above in the thread was easily corrected (suppressing slightly the blue channel ).

thx!

10-15-2021, 10:21 AM   #13
Pentaxian

It also seemed to refuse jpeg's for editing …

DCU will only edit files straight from the camera. If any other image editing package has altered the EXIF of the image, DCU will view it, but not edit it.
Notably, IrfanView does NOT alter the EXIF, so you can crop and/or resize using IrfanView as your "front-end" then open the result in DCU for fine-tuning if necessary
I'm guessing that's to prevent DCU being used as a general purpose editing package by all and sundry (as if they would)