Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2021, 02:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q Adapter aperture stuck closed.

Everything was fine until suddenly it wasn't. Of course that is usually how it works.

Working with a 400mm manual lens on my Q7. Tested before the hunting trip and everything worked as expected. Arrived in the hunting area and went to use the Q7/400mm combination and the aperture stuck closed tight. I fiddled with the aperture ring on the adapter a bit and it is now partially open but it has now stopped moving at all. Turning the aperture ring has no effect.

Has anyone had this problem and, if so, is there an easy fix or does it need to be sent for repair.

Finally, if it has to be sent out for repair who would you recommend?

Thank you for your suggestions.

08-11-2021, 03:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What lens? Have you tried a different lens?

I'm assuming any manual lens probably has it's own aperture ring. Normally if the lens itself has an aperture ring, I'd just leave the adapter on L (closed) and use the lens aperture ring only (so you can tell what aperture you are using). If the adapter is on L and you open up the lens to its widest and it is staying closed, it does sound like something is either sticking in the adapter or maybe you just a bent aperture lever in the lens itself. So back to the question does the problem exist with only this lens or with any lens?
08-11-2021, 03:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good question but I have tried it with other Pentax lens attached (FA 200mm) (DA 18-135mm) and nothing changes. Even with the adapter not attached to any lens, the aperture control on the adapter itself should open and close when the ring on the adapter is rotated. It is just a simple manual adjustment intended primarily to be used for DA style lenses with no aperture ring of their own. I normally leave it wide open when working with manual lenses (which I was when this occurred.
08-11-2021, 03:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The adapter itself has no aperture, but it does have a mechanical shutter (those are the visible blades in the adapter). So if not mounted to a Q body, those won't move and aren't supposed to move. The aperture adjustment ring simply moves the lever aperture on the actual lens to control the lens aperture.

08-11-2021, 03:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I do have a simple Fotodiox adapter that allows me to use my Minolta MD lenses so I still have options but the longest Minolta lens I have is 300mm and I would prefer to use my Pentax 400mm. I am photographing archery deer and elk hunting from a fair distance so it is helpful to use as long a lens as I can.

I have a Fotodiox K mount to Q mount adapter on the way so if it arrives in time I should be ok.

Obviously I would rather use the Pentax adapter and it is frustrating that it is out of order. I don't need the adapter's aperture for what I am doing so I am tempted to try and open things up and open the aperture manually if I can.
08-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Again, the adapter doesn't have an aperture, it has a shutter.
08-11-2021, 03:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok. You are right. I just attached the adapter and the shutter opened. I attached the lens, took the picture, and now the shutter is closed again. By staying closed I cannot focus through live view. Hmm. I am confused but at least I figured out how to make it work again.

Again, this problem is new for me. I've used this adapter a number of times in the past and this has not happened. There must be some setting on the camera that has changed. I guess I'll have to find it.

---------- Post added 08-11-2021 at 03:42 PM ----------

BTW, thank you for your assistance.

08-11-2021, 03:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I don't think there is a camera setting. Shutter could be busted, or there is a connection problem. When the camera is powered on, the shutter should be all the way open (with no lens attached you can see the sensor unimpeded). Try cleaning contacts on both adapter and camera body, and wiggle it a bit when mounted to see if it has a finicky connection.

---------- Post added 08-11-21 at 06:53 PM ----------

If you can get it to reliably open when powered on but it still doesn't seem to work right when trying to take photos, you can instruct the camera to use electronic shutter only as a possible workaround.
08-11-2021, 04:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Adorama still claim to have the adapter available on special order for just under $200:

https://www.adorama.com/ipxaq.html?=adl-gbase-p

If that's for real, it would be better than trying a repair.
08-11-2021, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok. I think I have finally sorted this out. Before I go further here I have to thank my wife.

I was walking around the house complaining that my camera wasn't working and she asked me what the problem was. I told her that my Q adapter wasn't working right even though everything had worked perfectly the year before. She looked at me kind of funny and said..."you couldn't have used it the year before because your granddaughter. was using it for a school project!"

Suddenly it dawned on me. My wife was right. I had used the Q last year, not the Q7. Suddenly I realized that there was a good chance that the firmware had not been updated to work with the Q adapter. Sure enough. When I checked the firmware on the Q7 was still version 1.0.

So...to make a long, painful story short. I downloaded the update, updated the camera and suddenly everything worked as I expected.

I hate to admit that I am an idiot sometimes but, there is no way around it. I am an idiot sometimes.

Problem solved. With the updated firmware the shutter blades (not aperture blades) fire and then reopen again as they should.

Thank you VonBaloney for putting up with my confusing post and helping me out anyway.
08-11-2021, 04:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Ah...firmware. I should have thought of that too.
08-11-2021, 05:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Ah...firmware. I should have thought of that too.
It threw me because when I would disconnect the Pentax Q Zoom and then attached the adapter the shutter blades would pop open and you could see through the K-mount lens you had attached to the adapter. It would fire the shutter the first time but then would not reopen the shutter.

When I tested it at home everything worked as I expected but I didn't realize at the time that the shutter had failed to reopen.

Again, when I got into the field, I removed the litte Q Zoom, attached the adapter and the 400/5.6. Everything looked fine and I focused on some Elk across the canyon and fired a shot. Everything was great until I got set to take another picture and the shutter was completely closed. I could not see a thing because everything was black as if I still had a lens cap in place. I never sorted out the problem in the field but it turned out there was no actual hunting picture to take so nothing lost.

I guess it goes to show that familiarity with the equipment is critical or you will not be successful. I thought I knew what I was doing but had overlooked the fact that the year before my shots were taken with a different camera.
08-11-2021, 06:09 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I am an idiot sometimes.
Don't feel too bad - Aren't we all! Cameras, computers, smart phones, ... . There's too much in modern life to keep track of.

Even old simple stuff - I almost couldn't figure out how to get rid of a terrible bump in my extension ladder, until I realized I could extend it and get easy access to it.

ps Ex-resident of Las Vegas, and one-time visito to Elko (spent a few nights enjoying Lamoille Canyon & The Ruby Mountains)
08-11-2021, 08:45 PM   #14
-
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Ok. I think I have finally sorted this out. Before I go further here I have to thank my wife.

I was walking around the house complaining that my camera wasn't working and she asked me what the problem was. I told her that my Q adapter wasn't working right even though everything had worked perfectly the year before. She looked at me kind of funny and said..."you couldn't have used it the year before because your granddaughter. was using it for a school project!"

Suddenly it dawned on me. My wife was right. I had used the Q last year, not the Q7. Suddenly I realized that there was a good chance that the firmware had not been updated to work with the Q adapter. Sure enough. When I checked the firmware on the Q7 was still version 1.0.

So...to make a long, painful story short. I downloaded the update, updated the camera and suddenly everything worked as I expected.

I hate to admit that I am an idiot sometimes but, there is no way around it. I am an idiot sometimes.

Problem solved. With the updated firmware the shutter blades (not aperture blades) fire and then reopen again as they should.
Well done for figuring it out, and thanks for posting the solution. I own the Q and Q7, but have only used the adapter on my Q7... and though I'm not certain, I don't think I've ever updated the firmware in my Q. I must check and update it if necessary, in case I should ever pair it with the adapter!