Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2021, 02:01 PM   #16
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eazykamikaze Quote
Hi to all! I bought a used Pentax Asahi Spotmatic a few years ago and it came with the Takumar SMC 50 mm 1.4, I just bought a Canon 90D and thought... hey why not try the Taku on it! The image is really beautiful but I'm unable to get the focus right... so I looked on YT and someone said that the Takumar was a "soft" lens... my question is... is it THAT soft?! I'm used to recent Canon lenses and movie making so... maybe it's just that I'm not used to this "softness"... or is there a problem with the lens?
Honestly, I think your 'YT source' is guilty of "sour grapes".

I wanted to use a source away from PF, so I did my own Internet search and found
Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 Lens Review – allmyfriendsarejpegs

In short, he recounts that in the 1960's, Zeiss was viewed as the best lens-maker of the time, but the Takumar 50mm f/1.4 was so good that it became known as "The Planar Killer". Asahi was said to lose money on each eight-element lens sold, so they moved to a seven-element design, where the back element contained radioactive glass and therefore had a tendency to yellow. Of course, neither Zeiss nor Asahi had computer-help in designing their lenses, and all used 49mm filters, so none showed corner-to-corner sharpness, but he did say "the Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 has a reputation for being extremely sharp, and it is one of the first lenses where I immediately noticed a definite sharpness when shot wide open". He did say he couldn't select either the eight-element or the seven-element version as being sharper.He began his review by saying "It has garnered something of a legendary reputation online, and is known for its sharpness, bokeh, and propensity for flare."

It was hot and humid here this afternoon, but I walked to the mall and shot this picture with my seven-element lens. I did no processing of the JPEG produced by my Pentax K-30; I shot this one based on a version of the "Sunny 16" rule, so any issues with exposure are entirely my fault.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by reh321; 08-18-2021 at 02:06 PM.
08-18-2021, 03:30 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

To join the chorus, I own the SMC Takumar 50/1.4 and can affirm that it renders sharp enough wide open to resolve a cat whisker, though DOF can be a challenge.

No cats being available, I hope a German camera might be a suitable stand-in. Focus is at center of field on the "I" in "Ihagee".

Steve
09-09-2021, 03:44 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Have you thought about checking the lens adapter?

The distance from the back of EVERY Pentax lens to the sensor should be 45.46mm. The distance of 44.00mm exists from the front of an EOS lens mount to the sensor. The adapter should be 1.46mm thick. A bumped, dropped, or poorly made adapter could cause this problem.

Look at your adapter. Make sure it is not bent or warped and the flange is a millimeter and a half thick. If there is glass in your adapter, you have the wrong adapter.

I've had a copy of your lens and used it a lot. Something is wrong.
The adapter is a Fotodiox M42-EOS V1... it seems fine... thanks for the answer!

---------- Post added 09-09-21 at 03:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Yeah, something isn't right with lens. A back or front focus with the camera would have something sharper than the other.

Here is a shot with my SMC Takumar 50/1.4

Yeah that's sharp I think I'll just buy a new one someday... it's like 120$...
09-14-2021, 04:39 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you are somewhere near a place that repairs lenses, you could fix the one you have...

The Takumar f1.4s are a little "soft" or "dreamy" wide open, like every other 50mm f1.4 of that vintage.
Compared to a modern, hyper-corrected 50mm f1.4 (like the DFA Pentax one...), yes, it is soft wide open.

At f5.6, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference at normal viewing distances... I have the "less desirable" 7-element variant, and it is a great lens to shoot with, with great results.

I'm going to agree with the folks who think there's a problem with the lens.
If it was the adapter, something on the distant shot should have been in focus.
There's also too much blooming in the highlights. It shouldn't do that so much unless it's fogged or something.

Good luck,

-Eric

09-14-2021, 05:51 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eazykamikaze Quote
The adapter is a Fotodiox M42-EOS V1... it seems fine... thanks for the answer!

---------- Post added 09-09-21 at 03:46 AM ----------

Yeah that's sharp I think I'll just buy a new one someday... it's like 120$...
You say the view finder shows a sharp picture, but the film results are fuzzy. I suspect the focusing screen may not reflect the same distance to the film plane. Do you have another M42 camera you can compare focus screens results with. That is, focus the lens on a certain object, then place the lens in another camera, and see if it remains in focus at the given distance. If so, the lens is OK, and it could have something to do with the film plane distance.
Another consideration is the mirror position. If it is not fully resting on its stops, you will have to put in the wrong distance in order to focus.

Last edited by arnold; 09-14-2021 at 06:06 PM.
09-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #21
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
If it is not fully resting on its stops, you will have to put in the wrong distance in order to focus.
Do you actually look at the distances marked on the lens??
Sometimes I do look at them to see what distance they think the subject is, but I focus by looking at the light coming through the lens.
09-14-2021, 08:43 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Do you actually look at the distances marked on the lens??
Sometimes I do look at them to see what distance they think the subject is, but I focus by looking at the light coming through the lens.
Yes I often do, especially with a rangefinder camera, to confirm that indicated distance matches actual distance. The LX gave problems when the mirror didn't rest properly, and cause one to miss focus. When you wonder why things are not in focus, it makes sense to confirm that the setting on the lens matches the actual distance, because if it doesn't, then the fault is either in the lens, or in the camera's optics path. Trail and error using a second camera and measured distances may expose the problem area.

09-14-2021, 10:11 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Even my softest Tak 55 1.8 is magnitudes better than that. You're positive that the focus is even adjusting when you move the ring? If so these images look like some incorrect assembly or a reversed front element.

What makes me think it could be the latter is because when I look at your pictures I can't even identify a focal plane let alone tell whether you're back or front focusing.
I'd try getting your money back on it if possible, or maybe get it looked at by someone.

As a test would you mind trying to take pictures of something up close?

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 09-14-2021 at 10:17 PM.
09-15-2021, 04:45 AM   #24
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes I often do, especially with a rangefinder camera, to confirm that indicated distance matches actual distance. The LX gave problems when the mirror didn't rest properly, and cause one to miss focus. When you wonder why things are not in focus, it makes sense to confirm that the setting on the lens matches the actual distance, because if it doesn't, then the fault is either in the lens, or in the camera's optics path. Trail and error using a second camera and measured distances may expose the problem area.
I have monocular vision - since birth I have used one eye at a time - but for over fifty years Iíve successfully used rangefinder cameras to get photos in focus, and the one eye I am currently using can see when a through-the-lens SLR is in focus.

added: I manually focused a Takumar to get #16 above. If even my eyes {singularly} can take photos like #16, there must be no problem with Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lenses.

Last edited by reh321; 09-15-2021 at 04:58 AM.
09-15-2021, 05:09 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have monocular vision - since birth I have used one eye at a time - but for over fifty years Iíve successfully used rangefinder cameras to get photos in focus, and the one eye I am currently using can see when a through-the-lens SLR is in focus.

added: I manually focused a Takumar to get #16 above. If even my eyes {singularly} can take photos like #16, there must be no problem with Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lenses.
Good for you, you have a nice lens, but the OP was asking about HIS lens - camera problem. He said that what looked in focus in the view finder was NOT in focus on the film. I suggest you read his post again.
09-15-2021, 07:16 AM   #26
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Good for you, you have a nice lens, but the OP was asking about HIS lens - camera problem. He said that what looked in focus in the view finder was NOT in focus on the film. I suggest you read his post again.
I have read and reread and reread what he wrote - and it still makes no sense to me.
I have never encountered a case when the scene looked to be in focus using the viewfinder, but was seriously 'soft' on film.
I believe that could happen only if there is a problem with the film path - and that problem would show up with other lenses.
Last Spring I purchased a M42 Mir lens on eBay - then returned it. I was unable to get "infinity" in focus .... even I could see that.

Admittedly, the photo below was a stunt - a 100% crop of my eight-element Takumar taken with my seven-element Takumar hand-held at f/1.4, using my K-30.
Admittedly,, it is not quite in perfect focus - but it is close.To address the topic of this thread: NO, the Takumar 50mm f/1.4 does NOT have a 'softness' problem.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
09-15-2021, 07:27 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Actually I have seen that -- with soft-focus lenses and certain very fast lenses that have "dreamy" looks when they are wide-open, i.e. it looks pretty normal through the optical viewfinder, but once you take the picture the dreamy qualities are way more pronounced. So I have to use live-view in those situations to see what I'm really getting. Somehow the focusing screen is "sharpening" that certain kind of glow (separate from whether something is "in-focus" or not). Anyway, stating again that this lens really looks like it has a reversed element (or something like that). I've got one with a reversed rear element that gets results just like that (different lens, same effect). I also have a lens where the front section (with the front element attached) can be unscrewed fairly easily and discovered I can use the amount of unscrewing to generate more or less soft focus effect. So something is up with that lens.
09-15-2021, 03:10 PM   #28
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Actually I have seen that -- with soft-focus lenses and certain very fast lenses that have "dreamy" looks when they are wide-open, i.e. it looks pretty normal through the optical viewfinder, but once you take the picture the dreamy qualities are way more pronounced. So I have to use live-view in those situations to see what I'm really getting. Somehow the focusing screen is "sharpening" that certain kind of glow (separate from whether something is "in-focus" or not). Anyway, stating again that this lens really looks like it has a reversed element (or something like that). I've got one with a reversed rear element that gets results just like that (different lens, same effect). I also have a lens where the front section (with the front element attached) can be unscrewed fairly easily and discovered I can use the amount of unscrewing to generate more or less soft focus effect. So something is up with that lens.
None of my lenses are known for resulting ďdreamyĒ photos - certainly Takumars are not - which I guess is why I have not personally seen anything like that.

You are certainly correct that something is up with that lens - it is definitely not typical of Takumars.