Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2021, 10:17 PM - 4 Likes   #1

When lenses are not that bad - the A/M switch

K3-III

Well, just a small anecdote (and maybe some small public service to relieve my embarassment).

I got a 2nd M42 adapter (the cheap Bower one) because I thought there was something wrong with my original Pentax adapter.
My SMC Tak 55/1.8 was unacceptably blurry at f/5.6 and f/8.
Well, AFTER I bought the new adapter, I found out that I had completely forgotten about the A/M switch, which in the 55 is fairly discreet.

Ha Ha.

Long story short, the lens came off the Bower one, I am lucky I caught it - and when attached back to the camera this time with the original Pentax adapter, and the A/M switch to M, at f/5.6 and f/8 the lens is as great I always knew it to be.

Feel stupid but feel happy

08-17-2021, 01:58 AM   #2
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by uimike Quote
K3-III

Well, just a small anecdote (and maybe some small public service to relieve my embarassment).

I got a 2nd M42 adapter (the cheap Bower one) because I thought there was something wrong with my original Pentax adapter.
My SMC Tak 55/1.8 was unacceptably blurry at f/5.6 and f/8.
Well, AFTER I bought the new adapter, I found out that I had completely forgotten about the A/M switch, which in the 55 is fairly discreet.

Ha Ha.

Long story short, the lens came off the Bower one, I am lucky I caught it - and when attached back to the camera this time with the original Pentax adapter, and the A/M switch to M, at f/5.6 and f/8 the lens is as great I always knew it to be.

Feel stupid but feel happy
Been using old lenses for years now and still doing that!
08-17-2021, 08:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
Now I am a bit sad for the M42 lenses I have that do NOT have the switch ;-)
08-18-2021, 01:34 AM   #4
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by uimike Quote
Now I am a bit sad for the M42 lenses I have that do NOT have the switch ;-)
Can be reversibly rectified. You need to dismantle behind the pin enough to slip a section of tubing from a cotton bud over the pin on the inside to stop it protruding.

08-18-2021, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Can be reversibly rectified. You need to dismantle behind the pin enough to slip a section of tubing from a cotton bud over the pin on the inside to stop it protruding.
No need to disassemble, normally the pin is exposed enough that if you slit the tube, you can place it over the pin from the mount side.